New bird: Advice (?) and one question

birbsaremyjam

Feb 16, 2018
Parrots
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure: Oswin
hello! i literally just picked up my bird from the pet store and put him in his cage. i got a pineapple green cheek conure and he is beautiful and lovely and i decided to name them Oswin.
i decorated the cage filled up their water bowl and food bowl and he was a bit nervous when he got in his cage.

i think he is still nervous but im not too sure because he is climbing on the walls of the cage and at some points he just stands still and stares at me and he makes these very faint squawking noises (which are adorable) but i cant tell if he is like really nervous or just curious.

i was hoping for some advice so if you have any please share. ive done a lot of research for Oswin because i want him to be very very happy. Also can i talk to him? i know i shouldn't take him out of his cage for a few days but can i talk to him? ive heard and read mixed responses on this question so if anyone can give their opinion ill be glad to hear it! :gcc:

Last edited:

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Bumble - Pacific (or Celestial) Parrotlet hatched 02/19/17
Yes! Talk to him! Sing to him! Read to him! Dance for him! And any minute now someone will come along and post the links to threads on bonding. But this should help between now and then.

Welcome to the forums, by the way, and we live pics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Welcome to Parrot Forums!

Sorry to start this way, but do you have one Parrot or two?

Assuming you have only one Parrot. What advise did the Pet Store provide regarding your Conure, if any? Also, did you have 'any' contact with your parrot prior to purchasing? Like the parrot coming out of the cage an interacting with you?

I assuming that the Pet Store allowed the both of you to spend time together and on 'your' hand time, correct?

This all determine where you start with your interactions.

hello! i literally just picked up my bird from the pet store and put them in their cage. i got a pineapple green cheek conure and he is beautiful and lovely and i decided to name them Oswin.
i decorated the cage filled up their water bowl and food bowl and he was a bit nervous when he got in his cage.

i think he is still nervous but im not too sure because he is climbing on the walls of the cage and at some points he just stands still and stares at me and he makes these very faint squawking noises (which are adorable) but i cant tell if he is like really nervous or just curious.

i was hoping for some advice so if you have any please share. ive done a lot of research for Oswin because i want them to be very very happy. Also can i talk to him? i know i shouldn't take him out of his cage for a few days but can i talk to him? ive heard and read mixed responses on this question so if anyone can give their opinion ill be glad to hear it! :gcc:

Last edited:
OP
birbsaremyjam

birbsaremyjam

Feb 16, 2018
Parrots
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure: Oswin
Welcome to Parrot Forums!

Sorry to start this way, but do you have one Parrot or two?

Assuming you have only one Parrot. What advise did the Pet Store provide regarding your Conure, if any? Also, did you have 'any' contact with your parrot prior to purchasing? Like the parrot coming out of the cage an interacting with you?

I assuming that the Pet Store allowed the both of you to spend time together and on 'your' hand time, correct?

This all determine where you start with your interactions.

hello! i literally just picked up my bird from the pet store and put them in their cage. i got a pineapple green cheek conure and he is beautiful and lovely and i decided to name them Oswin.

i was hoping for some advice so if you have any please share. ive done a lot of research for Oswin because i want them to be very very happy. Also can i talk to him? i know i shouldn't take him out of his cage for a few days but can i talk to him? ive heard and read mixed responses on this question so if anyone can give their opinion ill be glad to hear it! :gcc:
hey sorry about that im referring to my one bird as they/them/their because i dont know the gender. apologizes for the confusion

AkridChaos

Aug 31, 2017
USA
Parrots
Rescue Budgie: Snowball (blue/grey)
Normal Budgie: Oliver (yellow/green)
Black Capped Conure: Warbeak
Parrotlet: Lily, Rest In Peace
Canary-Winged Parakeet: Stryker
For me it was a little bit different. Warbeak I didn’t have to go out of my way to bond with. He was young (and still is) and looking for immediate love and attention. I let him do things at his pace. The first day I kind of just left him alone in his cage to get acclimated to the environment and occasionally checked in on him, said a few things to him in a gentle boice, and left. The next morning, he wanted to come out. I know they say give your bird 2-7 days to acclimate, but he was showing he was ready to come out. By that I mean his body movents (the hunched down slightly fluttering his wings at me to show he wants by me), him constantly latching to the cage door, the noises he’d make if I were about to leave the room. Personally I say if your bird is bold and saying it’s ready to come out, let it (provided it is currently safe). At the very least open the cage door if you think your bird is showing signs of wanting to explore. They’ll come out if they’re ready. Warbeak beelined out of there to the top of his cage and had a blast exploring his first day.

Obviously don’t do anything to scare your bird if you do happen to let it out if it’s ready. And be wary of that beak. Warbeak was bold and looking for immediate attention, but he didn’t understand I don’t like being bit. He took a few days of no bite training before he was good, but man, did it hurt! (No bite training is simply set your bird on the floor any time it bites hard enough. Do NOT set your bird on its cage or near its cage when doing no bite training. They may mistake it for “when I bite, you take me to my home. I want to go back *chomp*”)

Best of luck to you and your new master (lol).

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
If he was hand reared he may be more ready to come out. Ultimately, try to read his body movements, does he look excited by your presence or does he seem more curious? Being his first day I would leave him be for now to figure out his room, maybe when you put some fresh food in offer your hand to step up onto and see what he does. If he's ready to say hi to you then (provided it's safe) close all the curtains and doors and let him run riot

Tami2

Aug 18, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Levi - 6 yr old CAG

DOH-4/2/2016

Most Reactions