New bird alarm calling

Kiwikiwi

Feb 6, 2023
Parrots
Kiwi- African ring neck
We recently got a new bird, and African ring neck. And itā€™s only been a couple of weeks but he wonā€™t stop alarm calling. Is this something that will continue and we need to work to train away from or will this subside some the more he gets comfortable in his new home?

OP
K

Kiwikiwi

Feb 6, 2023
Parrots
Kiwi- African ring neck
Oh yes an Indian ring neck

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    302.9 KB · Views: 39

Bluberrytheparakeet

Mar 21, 2022
Panama City, Florida
Parrots
Bluberry - Female Parakeet
Mr. Squiggles - Male Parakeet
Aww so adorable! Did you buy him or adopt? He may be adjusting to his surroundings, they are capable of feeling a WIDE range of emotions.

OP
K

Kiwikiwi

Feb 6, 2023
Parrots
Kiwi- African ring neck
We bought. Unfortunately couldnā€™t find anything local to us that had any available for rescue. But heā€™s only a year or so old and was at a bird pet shop his whole life. But weā€™re just wanting to make sure he is getting enough exercise and stimulation

OP
K

Kiwikiwi

Feb 6, 2023
Parrots
Kiwi- African ring neck
ok, is he tame?
Not quite, he was kept in a cage with another ring neck bird in the store and when we were in there he was calling to him the whole time. Weā€™ve been working on taking treats and step up but we expect it to be a slow process.

Bluberrytheparakeet

Mar 21, 2022
Panama City, Florida
Parrots
He may have had a bond to that other ring neck. I would give him time to adjust. He may be Flock-calling, not alarm calling. You may want to google/youtube it and listen to the difference. It's also coming up on spring time and he (presumably) may be calling for the ladies.

I am just giving the info that I know of with no prior ring-neck experience. I hope I am helpful!

OP
K

Kiwikiwi

Feb 6, 2023
Parrots
Kiwi- African ring neck
Thank you so much! Iā€™ll check it out.

Bluberrytheparakeet

Mar 21, 2022
Panama City, Florida
Parrots
one thing i will add is that some ring-necks tend to want you in the room, but not physically interacting. If he calls when you leave the room, you may wan't to move him to the living room/ wherever you hang out the most (if he already isn't). Ring-necks are also just naturally loud birds..

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
Im pretty sure your talking about an INDIAN ringneck? if not, Would Love to see pics!

I cant be of any help lol
African ringnecks and Indian ringnecks are two distinct species in the same parrot family. Itā€™s entirely possible itā€™s an African ringneck.

Bluberrytheparakeet

Mar 21, 2022
Panama City, Florida
Parrots
OK, Yea.

the photo looks like an indian ring neck though. and Indian ringnecks are more common in pet stores than african ring necks are..

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
OK, Yea.

the photo looks like an indian ring neck though. and Indian ringnecks are more common in pet stores than african ring necks are..
I am not sure about how common they are, but they posted the photo after you corrected them about the species. ARN & IRN look very similar & in females the difference is primarily the size.

I hope a ringneck owner can chime in about the behavioral issue, that sounds frustrating.

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Feb 20, 2022
OK, Yea.

Unless you see them side by side for a size comparison, African Ringnecks and Indian Ringnecks look almost identical when they're young.

@Kiwikiwi welcome to the forums!!! And congratulations on your new family member :) As he ages you'll be able to tell easily whether he's an ARN or IRN - it doesn't matter as far as how to take care of him, but their size is a bit different and their normal vocalizations are different so for my parrot it has been helpful to know.

My African Ringneck was in a pet store until he was 9 months old - he was purchased by a family that felt their lifestyle was too stressful for him, so I got him from a rescue when he was 18 months old.

I fell in love with him right away and now I adore the species so much!! From what I know, ARN in general are more docile than IRN as pets, and that's definitely true for mine - I can't imagine a scenario where he would bite.

Whether your little guy is alarm calling or contact calling, you can try answering back each time with just a friendly "hello!" or "we're right here and you're safe" type of response.

I agree that having his cage in the same room as you is helpful. It can take several weeks or even longer for many ringnecks to be comfortable in a new home.

With mine, I put a little metal bowl on the inside of his cage door, and every time I walked past his cage I dropped a little piece of walnut in the bowl. I also just sat near his cage and read out loud (I read lots of threads here out loud to him! The Amazon forum in particular has some great sticky threads that apply to lots of parrots) so he'd get used to my voice.

My hunch is that he's still anxious at the move, and as he gets more comfortable he'll start using a bigger variety of sounds.

Again, congratulations and feel free to ask lots of questions - I've had Cotton home for 10 months now and he still isn't hand "tame", but he's my favorite and I could just sit and watch him all day long!

Niteldy

Oct 26, 2021
Media
Albums
Utah
Parrots
1 Alexandrine & 5 cockatiels
0h my!! I have an Alexandrine and he is a caller too- We had to move him iinto the living room to be near the family. This helped ALOT! However he bonded with one person in the family and when they leave to go into another room he scream calls until they come back. He gets to stay out most times but has a large cage with plenty of toys. He prefers his human ! Good Luck- I know how frustrating it can be. When you walk by his cage if he is quiet say Shhhh Good Boy- and give a treat and walk away! This is working with my bird so far-

Most Reactions

Latest posts