New bird-veg advice and bonding

Lokasia

May 13, 2022
Parrots
Kiki the baby quaker
Hi folks, I adopted Kiki from a breeder about 3 weeks ago. He's about 4 months old and I'm unsure how to bond with him. I'm clicker training him to target a stick with the idea of teaching step up to my hand but although he was hand reared he seems very scared of my hands. He will make a clicky noise in his throat and take a treat out of my fingers then move back. He calls to me when I leave the room and he will move to the front of the cage if I'm sat near it for me to open the cage door and he can perch on it then watch me. Other than that he seems scared of me.

Only treats he will take are sunflowers which I know aren't healthy. I've been offering fresh fruit and veg for him and he shows no interest in it. I'll put it onto the tray on the playgymn above his cage and he'll completely ignore it. He doesn't even seem interested in eating the dried fruit veg in his food mix.

Any advice on bonding and encouraging healthy eating. Ps, he comes into my office during the day with me so I be chatting lots to him

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Hi folks, I adopted Kiki from a breeder about 3 weeks ago. He's about 4 months old and I'm unsure how to bond with him. I'm clicker training him to target a stick with the idea of teaching step up to my hand but although he was hand reared he seems very scared of my hands. He will make a clicky noise in his throat and take a treat out of my fingers then move back. He calls to me when I leave the room and he will move to the front of the cage if I'm sat near it for me to open the cage door and he can perch on it then watch me. Other than that he seems scared of me.

Only treats he will take are sunflowers which I know aren't healthy. I've been offering fresh fruit and veg for him and he shows no interest in it. I'll put it onto the tray on the playgymn above his cage and he'll completely ignore it. He doesn't even seem interested in eating the dried fruit veg in his food mix.

Any advice on bonding and encouraging healthy eating. Ps, he comes into my office during the day with me so I be chatting lots to him
@Laurasea @HeatherG

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Welcome home Kiki!

Congratulations on your new quaker. ❤

There are many ways to go about making friends. I usually try less training and more trying to get them to climb around on me.

As quakers can be a little cage protective. Have a perch on the outside of cage they can step to, really lots of perches on the outside and top of cage as well as treat dishes food and water dishes. What not use the outside of the Cafe as a extended play gym is my idea.

Then I smash a comfortable chair up to the cage, or move the cafe next to the couch. Then spend as much time as you casmn hanging out , not always focused on him, read or something a d Then hand out treats . The goal would be for him to climb out and climb on you . Play with kindle paper see if will be curious and come over. Have a millet spray on your lap let him come get it.

Its OK to use sunflower seeds as treats, or safflower seeds. Or popcorn. Hand him stuff all day long. Tell him good birdie when ever takes treats so learns what good birdie means.

I find it do difficult go explain how to make friends via text.

My Phoebe quakers came home terrified of hands. Took about 2 months to get over that. I quit any training and just handed out treats and kisses and let her climb around d on me. Then when she was snuggle on my chest I'd put my hand flat on my chest let climb on then lift ab inch of my chest then let her hop off or put be k down. Till I could raise my hand more and longer.

Hopefully others are better at talking you through Making friends. Have you had parrots before?

Love to see pictures
Food ill link some articles .

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Veggies, keep trying everything. Take a head if broccoli stuff seeds in use as foraging. Use a carrots as perch. Stuff Veggies in bars of cages. Try cooked/fresh/ chopped/ whole. Expect a lot of waste at first. Share a meal. Hand out lots of different food stuff by hand. Once they get the idea foods come in different textures and shapes they start get better at trying stuff. Nrvet chase them around with a new food treat just offer they don't come get just drop it and walk away let them come explore

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Hi there Kiki,
I’m sorry that I didn’t see your post earlier. How’s it going now?

Sunflower seeds are not the end of the world. They are a good training reward. I would also try tiny sections of millet, fruit or vegetables, and even a tiny bit of cheese as a treat or reward.

Most Reactions