New Budgie keeps looking up?

Livy

Dec 23, 2020
Canada
Parrots
Dee (Dedede)
Got a new Budgie today but he keeps looking up? He's standing and doing everything fine he just keeps starting at the ceiling, then going back to normal and doing it again. Not sure is this is something to be concerned about but wanted to ask because I saw some concerning results on google. -Liv

Kitekeeper

Jun 19, 2021
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Parrots
Budgerigar (Bud), Pacific Parrotlet (Sam), Roseicollis lovebird (BJ and Turq), Linneolated parakeet (Charlie and Emma)
Hi Liv,

That is odd. Could you post a video?

Some conditions might develop that symptom, from ear infections, viral diseases to lack of vitamin D.

I hope it might not be something bad.

OP
L

Livy

Dec 23, 2020
Canada
Parrots
Dee (Dedede)
It wouldn't let me upload a video but this is what he does for long periods of time, maybe he's just super interested in up? Lmao

26349d1628081475-new-budgie-keeps-looking-up-ser.png

Attachments

• ser.PNG
    ser.PNG
    31.2 KB · Views: 215
Last edited by a moderator:

Kitekeeper

Jun 19, 2021
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Parrots
Budgerigar (Bud), Pacific Parrotlet (Sam), Roseicollis lovebird (BJ and Turq), Linneolated parakeet (Charlie and Emma)
Thanks! He is so young!

Giving the early age and his general aspect, this could help us to eliminate some things... . Can you tell if he was raised by a reputable breeder?

If he received an unbalanced nutrition he could develop some symtoms of lack of vitamine D or other types of vitamine.

I would try to suplement vitamines for just one week and see what happens.

OP
L

Livy

Dec 23, 2020
Canada
Parrots
Dee (Dedede)
I got him off of Kijiji (Which is like craigslist) his "breeder" has a few budgie pairs and occasionally sells when they have babies. When he first got home his poop's were orange so I was concerned, apparently he LOVES the orange cuttlebone so I ruled that out. Other than that he was on prestige premium budgie mix (Seeds) I've ordered more vitamin supplements but for now hes on seeds and cuttlebone. I'm thinking he may just be a little nervous, he was born on the 20 of june and might just need to adjust.

Kitekeeper

Jun 19, 2021
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Parrots
Hi Liv,

Judging by the picture he seems fine to me. I guess he might be just adjusting to the new environment as you said.

He has a healthy aspect and is in good diet. Considering he is so young I doubt he might have some sort of deficiency. Any disease that could cause such a symptom of looking up would probably be the consequence of a long term exposure to an infection or prolongued lack of vitamines. It would be unlikely to be a virus on the central nervous system as he looks just fine in his general aspect.

The last possible explanation that comes to my mind and seems like a longshot, is related to a bad genetic condition inherited... but it is quite unlikely.

Please keep us posted.

By the way he is a beautiful mutation!

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
It wouldn't let me upload a video but this is what he does for long periods of time, maybe he's just super interested in up? Lmao

Best way to upload video to forum is via YouTube or Vimeo. Unfortunately current software does not permit direct link from phone or other device.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
Here's a nice budgie-basics thread. I'm not knowledgeable about them, but maybe there's something of interest in there somewhere.

I'm glad you're here. We love curious, caring new folks.

9lhIlM0.jpg

Most Reactions

Latest posts