New Budgie screaming to go outside help

QuakeMeUp

Apr 20, 2022
Parrots
Gogo
Hello,

Sorry if this is a repost. So i recently purchased a budgie (untamed) and have had her for around 4 weeks. she is about 4-5 months old. We have been making pretty good progress (so far she eats millet when i hold it, and is overall happy when i am in her presence), but everyday probably for 10 minute inervals, she will scream and flap her wings until she realizes whatever she wants isn't going to happen, She will try again maybe every 10-20 minutes. I usually talk to her for like 2 hours after i get off work and 2 hours before work, and reguardless on if i continue, she will scream. This happends pretty much all day whether its the weeknd where i have all the time, or on a work day. I have had 3 different cages (so many shipping issue finally got the one i wanted originally), Tried multiple toys, Cage configurations, pretty much everything other than getting a new bird which I am not ready for atm. The only thing that works is covering the cage. The cage door is always open when i am home, but what I think is that she wants to go outside because she sees the birds outside, or if the window/blinds is not open, she will hear them. I have also tried moving the cage, playing music, movies. Maybe this is just how she is and eventually she will learn that she can't go outside? I have tried ignoring the screaming for hopes that she will get the hint that screaming wont get my attention and that she needs to use a quiter voice. Overall it just seems that she wants to go outside with the other birds, yet that is impossible. So I guess i am just curious to some suggestions to try.

I posted a picture of the current cage configuration (yes I know wooden dowels are not ideal but i just bought it yesterday so I haven't had time to go to the store to get more branches.)

Attachments

• IMG_2629.jpeg
    IMG_2629.jpeg
    579.9 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
That’s a very nice big cage. Very adequate for a budgie.

Maybe she is screaming and flapping because she wants you to talk to or play with her?

It’s ok to have some dowel perches. You just don’t want all the perches to be the same shape because that’s hard on the bird’s feet.

Most Reactions