New Cage/Aviary Incoming, plant help

May 28, 2022
Parrots
Blue Male Quaker
Female Eclectus
Our girl is about to get an upgrade to a large indoor aviary/cage (5' wide, 3.5' deep, 6' tall). Due to the height I've been thinking a potted plant might be nice inside with her (along with all the other perches, branches, and toys she will have) since I'm also installing an avian light for her (yes, we are spoiling her).

What plants would be safe and durable for inside her enclosure or next to it within chewing distance? We will offer lots to chew aside from said plant, just curious what greenery options we can offer our little climbing monkey.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Congratulations on the upgraded cage. As with all things new, take several days to allow you Parrot to see this as something special and not radioactive. I am a long believer in having our Amazon help in unboxing, setting out the sections and then during the assembly. Yes this could add a day or two in setting the new cage in place, but you will like have a Parrot that will already be moving in as you complete.

I am not sure that adding an avian light will be a positive thing as the vast majority are based on or are the same as reptile lights. Natural sunlight from a window would be a better choice or switching lighting in the room to standard 'daylight' series LED lightbulbs. Having them on a standard dimmer switch and selecting the dimmer series LED is a great combination as you can duplicate what is happing outside. Save the money and return the avian light.

Potted Plants and Parrots are not a great combination as they tend to chew on them and if by chance it tastes great, they will assume the others in your home will be great as well. You also need to assure that the soil has been made sterile. For so many reasons, just not a great idea.

OP
BennyTheBeaver
May 28, 2022
Parrots
Blue Male Quaker
Female Eclectus
Congratulations on the upgraded cage. As with all things new, take several days to allow you Parrot to see this as something special and not radioactive. I am a long believer in having our Amazon help in unboxing, setting out the sections and then during the assembly. Yes this could add a day or two in setting the new cage in place, but you will like have a Parrot that will already be moving in as you complete.

I am not sure that adding an avian light will be a positive thing as the vast majority are based on or are the same as reptile lights. Natural sunlight from a window would be a better choice or switching lighting in the room to standard 'daylight' series LED lightbulbs. Having them on a standard dimmer switch and selecting the dimmer series LED is a great combination as you can duplicate what is happing outside. Save the money and return the avian light.

Potted Plants and Parrots are not a great combination as they tend to chew on them and if by chance it tastes great, they will assume the others in your home will be great as well. You also need to assure that the soil has been made sterile. For so many reasons, just not a great idea.
I will be adding a full spectrum LED light, not a reptile light.

Thank you for your thoughts on plants. I am aware of the sterilization needed. By potted plants, I'm also referring to immature trees. Once they outgrow the aviary I can transplant outside.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
I will be adding a full spectrum LED light, not a reptile light.

Thank you for your thoughts on plants. I am aware of the sterilization needed. By potted plants, I'm also referring to immature trees. Once they outgrow the aviary I can transplant outside.
Remember that just having a 'daylight' series LED in the room is more than enough. Installing such a light in the cage is far more than needed as birds do not have bare skin and as a result only need to 'see' the 'daylight' series LED light!

Nice idea, but if your girl likes it, there will be little to nothing to transplant. For you sack, I hope I am wrong.

OP
BennyTheBeaver
May 28, 2022
Parrots
Blue Male Quaker
Female Eclectus
Remember that just having a 'daylight' series LED in the room is more than enough. Installing such a light in the cage is far more than needed as birds do not have bare skin and as a result only need to 'see' the 'daylight' series LED light!

Nice idea, but if your girl likes it, there will be little to nothing to transplant. For you sack, I hope I am wrong.
The Aviary is large (5' wide, 6' tall, 3.5' deep) and the solid ceiling will block alot of light currently in the room.

I may experiment with the plant, we'll see.

Most Reactions

Latest posts