Parrots
Basil - 22yr male SI Eclectus
River - male GCC
Nemo - female BCC - handicapped
Summer - female pineapple gcc
Rainbow - male yellow side gcc
Lando - male black headed caique
Paprika - female SI eclectu
Hi everyone. I hope you had a good weekend with your family, friends, and feathered kids. I have an upcoming dilemma that I wanted to ask your opinions about:

Basil (22 year old SI male) currently lives in a 46"W X 24"D X 36"H acrylic cage that was originally designed for him and a mate. I never got the mate, but now I have Paprika who will need to be in a cage in a couple more weeks. His cage, the acrylic is now almost 2 decades old, and is brittle. It has begun to crack and I don't feel safe putting both of them in the cage. It has been fixed and reinforced to accommodate his weight, but I think the two of them will be pushing it.

I am in the process of buying an H Q Cage dome top double macaw cage, which has a divider panel in the middle, in case they don't get along. Also will keep this in place at first too, as she is learning to stay in the cage, and doesn't need the pressure from him trying to be all over the place.

The question is... Basil is going through a very slow molt. It's a very heavy one, too, but it is coming in patches... like a mojo molt. I don't want to put more stress on him by rehoming him into the new cage while he is molting. I am thinking it is best to keep him in the existing cage he has until the molt is finished. Or is the cage change not as big of a deal as I am thinking it is? Last time I changed his entire cage was 20 years ago, and I don't remember how stressed he was or was not.

Thoughts? Opinions? Anything I am not thinking of?

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Putting 2 birds that close together isn't the best idea (IN MY OPINION).

1. You need a 45 day quarantine with the new bird in a totally separate room/air space etc...separate vet visits for both (the birds in your house already could go in one trip, and then your new on/quarantined bird on another)--Maybe I misunderstood though?

2. If they don't get along, you could seriously agitate them both by putting them so near.

3. Someone could lose a toe if it's a wire divider and if it isn't it's going to darken up the cage significantly, which could increase hormonal tendencies.

4. Are you wanting them to breed or something? Such close proximity etc could also aggravate/frustrate them sexually.

5. I do think that the change of a cage + the addition of a roommate could certainly stress out an already stressed bird.

Is there a reason you can't just use 2 cages? Even then, he's likely to feel some stress, but at least he would still have his own 4 walls.

Have you had him tested for diseased like Polyomavirus, PBFD and PDD? Heavy moults can (but aren't always) a sign of disease...and if he is sick, you do not want her in the same room with him even...let alone sharing a wall.

Last edited:
OP
Alembic772

Alembic772

May 13, 2020
Spring Hill, FL
Parrots
River - male GCC
Putting 2 birds that close together isn't the best idea (IN MY OPINION).

1. You need a 45 day quarantine with the new bird in a totally separate room/air space etc...separate vet visits for both (the birds in your house already could go in one trip, and then your new on/quarantined bird on another)--Maybe I misunderstood though?

2. If they don't get along, you could seriously agitate them both by putting them so near.

3. Someone could lose a toe if it's a wire divider and if it isn't it's going to darken up the cage significantly, which could increase hormonal tendencies.

4. Are you wanting them to breed or something? Such close proximity etc could also aggravate/frustrate them sexually.

5. I do think that the change of a cage + the addition of a roommate could certainly stress out an already stressed bird.

Is there a reason you can't just use 2 cages? Even then, he's likely to feel some stress, but at least he would still have his own 4 walls.

Have you had him tested for diseased like Polyomavirus, PBFD and PDD? Heavy moults can (but aren't always) a sign of disease...and if he is sick, you do not want her in the same room with him even...let alone sharing a wall.

1. They are separated except every once and a while when he flies in where I am keeping her to check her out. I then take him away so they aren't in proximity to each other. By the time this all happens, it will have been more than 45 days that they have been in the same house, but not the same room. Vet visits will also be done prior to this.

2. Understood. I haven't purchased the new cage yet, it was an idea and I had gotten a price for it.

3. It is not a wire divider. It is made exactly like the rest of the cage, it is the same gauge of wire and metal. I understand what you meant and your concern, but its not a simple piece of wire. Will get a picture next time I go to the store to look at the cage.

4. Breeding? Not specifically, no. Basil is a "randy bird" if you know what I mean, and the hopes is that having another of his kind, he will focus on doing those naughty things towards her and not me.

5. Basil isn't... stressed out other than the molt, but I think you mean his stress is high because of the molt.

The two cages vs. the side by side was just about space in the house. The cage would actually be bigger inside than his (I mean just the one side that would be his).

They both recently had their tests done, and all came back negative. Polyoma, PBFD, Chlaymdia... He just goes through this really heavy spot on the back of his neck sometimes... He is not bald or has skin showing anywhere, its just patches I notice because he's here with me all day.

The purpose of this was to get opinions and feedback. I haven't truly decided what I want to do with the cages yet.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Glad they both were tested etc--- good news there.

Just remember, if they are "randy" together, that can be a whole new set of issues (for your relationship, but also in terms of eggs, babies, new expenses, aggression etc..)

It could happen either way, or they could fight, but I like the idea of 2 large cages because it seems less likely to cause territorial disputes etc--- I would have greater peace of mind if mine were housed separately so that I could at least move one if I had to and so that Wouldn't have to worry about aggression through cage bars. It's not a guarantee, but it is possible, so I tend to take a cautious approach.

I meant that the birds get stressed when moulting, with new cages and often, with new family/flock members.

Again-- just my opinion-- others may disagree. Not judging, just sharing.

Last edited:

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
I can say with certainty, the double cage wouldn't work with my two. My Ekkie guy Tucker loves trying to do what male Ekkies do- service the females. He loves Baxter, my YNA girl, always trying to win her affection by landing on her cage, chatting, whistling, attempts at feeding her... The whole nine yards. Problem being, she's not interested. At all. She's bloodied his feet through the cage bars twice now. Second time was through the cover as well. He couldn't see her coming, and she didn't want to let go while he stood there screaming. I'm so lucky he hasn't lost a toe or whole foot. It's become sort of a game for him now. He still tries every day, but flies off to a tree stand when she comes charging after him. She's blazing fast at running upside down across the cage top to get him. Funny to watch, but I keep super close eyes on them now. Of course there's the other issue with multiple birds. Time. My two are never out of the cages at the same time, ever. Just not safe for them, and not a risk I'm willing to take, so I juggle the attention time for each of them. We make it work, but I so wish I could just open both cages while I'm home and let them have that free time. Maybe some day...

OP
Alembic772

Alembic772

May 13, 2020
Spring Hill, FL
Parrots
River - male GCC
This is an example of one day of feathers from Basil that have come out due to his molt.
2e848db9cfd072313b1af984a7df187f.jpg

The good news is that he is finally molting as it has been a long time since his last one. Now I have to make sure I keep his diet up to snuff during it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cneuhauser

Jul 9, 2020
Cary NC (hate it), LF Job in Moab UT or elsewhere
Parrots
Dusky Conure, Male Ekkie
This is an example of one day of feathers from Basil that have come out due to his molt.
2e848db9cfd072313b1af984a7df187f.jpg

The good news is that he is finally molting as it has been a long time since his last one. Now I have to make sure I keep his diet up to snuff during it.

Just out of curiosity, because I hope to have an Ekkie by the end of the year...

What additional proteins, if any, do you normally feed during molting?

OP
Alembic772

Alembic772

May 13, 2020
Spring Hill, FL
Parrots
River - male GCC
Well Basil is a naughty boy who gets bits of hamburger and chicken from time to time. He gets brown rice, garbanzo beans, pepitas (as a treat), and a chop I make. I supplement it with more boiled egg now because he is molting. Quinoa, spelt, and millet too.

He unfortunately is a pellet monster, but he does eat his fresh foods too. He’s been weaned off colored pellets and eats a mix of Harrison’s, Fresh Baked Bites, Nutriberries, and some Tops mixed in. He gets birdie bread with tops powdered inside of it too.

Most Reactions

Latest posts