New conure, eating lint and hair?

ptoo0

May 15, 2021
Hi all! 2 weeks ago I brought home a young green cheek, he (or she, don't know yet) is about 3 months old. So far everything's been wonderful, he's clumsy on his feet but flies very well, loves everyone in the family, is happy to eat both veggies and pellets, and is starting to play with toys.

Only thing concerning is that he LOVES to chew hair. He isn't preening it, he actually bites off pieces and seems to be trying to eat it. He also plucks and chews little strands and lint from clothing, blankets, paper, seagrass mats and cotton perches, pretty much anything he can. He tries to eat dried poop too.

Is this something that he'll grow out of or do I need to be super vigilant forever about anything not digestible within his reach? He adores burrowing into our hair and clothes when he's out of the cage, and I'm not sure how to stop this.

My previous conure wouldn't even swallow apple pulp so I never had to worry about him eating inedibles.

Derpy baby pic for tax
ptoo0-albums-asdf-picture23461-20210603-123122.jpg

Attachments

• 20210603_123122.jpg
    20210603_123122.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Preening a loved one isn't unusual but eating all sorts of inedible substances is concerning. There is danger of accumulated debris obstructing digestive system, leading to illness or worse. On a more common note, we advise careful watch with rope perches and traditional "huts" as birds can ingest after chewing. What you describe is similar with identical consequences. Difficult to know if this is a "phase" or permanent behavior that ought be modified.

Eating poop may be related behavior or often a quest for "nutrients" lacking in basic diet. Eating veggies and pellets is generally sufficient for proper health. Do you offer some fruits, and what type of pellet is offered? Pellets not created equal, some far better than others. Though, we have a saying "the best pellet is one your bird eats" as they can be extremely fussy!

Your gorgeous bird seems very well adjusted and trusting after just 2 weeks!

Most Reactions

Latest posts