New Conure Owner

anaximander

Dec 4, 2021
Parrots
Sencha - pineapple GCC
Greetings!

In September, I brought home a beautiful baby pineapple GCC from a specialty bird shop. He is six months old as of yesterday! Sencha is a very good boy! He transitioned gracefully to a healthy diet (chop + pellets). He has taken to clicker training enthusiastically and is very good at stepping up, waving, and turning around.

The cage that the pet store sold me turned out to be a pain to clean, so I recently got a new, larger one (37 x 31 x 20 inches) and Sencha is enjoying the more spacious quarters. More space = more toys! He also has a playstand for his time outside the cage. Lots of toys there too.

Sencha’s wings were clipped when I got him, but I think I might let them grow out. He started molting about a month ago and is still in the process, but is past the really prickly phases. (The photo below is about a month old.) It doesn’t look like the primaries are going to get replaced this time around.

I’m going to post in the conure forum about some minor (I hope) behavioral issues in hopes of getting some advice, but thought I should introduce myself here. I’ve lurked a bit over the past couple months and have been impressed by the compassion of the people on this forum. I’m looking forward to participating!

IMG_1369.jpg

Last edited:

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
Welcome to the forums! Sencha is gorgeous!

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Beautiful!
I'm always championing have a digital kitchen scale and weigh and log burds wright weekly. More than a 3% body mass drop have a vet check, more than 5% you have a sick bird get to vet that day or next day

OP
A

anaximander

Dec 4, 2021
Parrots
Sencha - pineapple GCC
Beautiful!
I'm always championing have a digital kitchen scale and weigh and log burds wright weekly. More than a 3% body mass drop have a vet check, more than 5% you have a sick bird get to vet that day or next day
Good tip! Sencha averages about 64 g, which is about 1 g heavier than when I brought him home.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome to you and absolutely stunning Sencha, appreciate comprehensive intro and kind sentiments!!

Most Reactions

Latest posts