New conure owner

Sinfairy89

Apr 10, 2022
Parrots
Green cheek conure
I have a 4 month old baby green cheek conure it’s scares easy I am just looking at how to bond with it dos and don’t etc. so I can do it correctly what I do now is sit by it’s cage for long periods and talk to it a little . Any advice on how to build trust and bond also when do I know it’s comfortable with me and able to hold it etc

Zoruace

Sep 21, 2021
Media
Albums
Welcome!
Id love to see pictures of your bird!
Laura gave a great website I recommend you read it well,
I would let your bird settle in for a while before trying to interact with it immediately
Continue sitting near the cage
Just read anything / talk to it in a nice quit voice
Once he is comfortable with you being around him offer him his favourite treats through the cage bar
Remember to move at his pace and look out for body language!

Some threads that might help, I suggest reading them more then once and understanding them well

This thread does mainly focus on amazons but its a goldmine of information on birds
I suggest reading it thoroughly

maddox

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
2022 Parrot of the Year 🏆
Mar 15, 2022
Media
Fairfield Connecticut, USA
Parrots
Maddox is a green cheek conure
You are on the right track! Bonding and gaining a conure's trust will take time and patients. The best thing to start off is talking to your conure which is great that you are already doing. It is important to work at the conure's pace, and respect that the cage is his safe space. This means that reaching and grabbing him will only cause issues. What I did with my conure Maddox was just placing my hand in his cage and taking notice of how he reacted. Once he stopped running from me I began hand feeding him so he associated me with food. I started placing my finger in front of my hand with food in it so he would have to step on my finger to get to the food. Within the week he was comfortable and stepping up onto my hand even without food. Conures are funny, it can take days, weeks, and even months for them to get comfortable. Good luck and reach out if you have any other questions!

Most Reactions

Latest posts