New Environment - New Home, New Schedule, New Food

Dan69

Nov 6, 2022
Parrots
Blue Crossover Quaker named Murray
Brief backstory: Blue Crossover Quaker, been living in our office building for a year... the last several months has been in my office and we've bonded so I'm officially adopting him and bringing him home with me. The whole story linked at the bottom of this post for those interested.

--------------------------------------------

Snowy (Murray) will soon experience some drastic changes. He's moving into a new home with a new cage and new everything (I am keeping his old cage too so I might put him in that the first few nights since it's familiar). His schedule is going to be turned upside down, too.

Currently, he's out of his cage and socializing with me during the work day and more or less locked up and alone the rest of the time (some office staff do come in and say hello to him or take him for a few minutes). He only gets a few minutes of interaction (not from me) on Saturday and Sunday, usually just checking his food and water. After I bring him home, it's going to be just the opposite. He'll see me briefly in the morning and will be on his own until I get home in the afternoon, and of course we'll have the weekends.

On top of all this, he has been on a 100% seed diet since forever and I want to gradually move him to pellets and veggies. I am just wondering if it's ok to jump right in or should I give him time to adjust to everything else before I add another layer to this transition.

He's got another week before the big move so maybe I can use this next week to jumpstart the diet change?

I'm thinking keep status quo at first might be the best way to go, but I thought I would check with my new friends here at PF.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I would put the old cage next to the new cage and let Snowy decide when he wants to go explore the new cage. Unless the new cage is ‘scary’; then you might have to put it across the room and move it closer bit by bit.

Most Reactions