New Flock Member - Amazon

calieckies

Aug 2, 2013
Houston, TX
Parrots
Eclectus, Macaw, African Grey, Toucan
We added a new flock member today.
Question... do any of you have amazons who have such a different coloration from when they were babies? I will add the baby photo I was told was him and him now.
(I know in eckies we see yellow come in with liver issues)

IMG_8930[1].JPG
IMG_9110[1].JPG
IMG_9120[1].JPG
IMG_9108[1].JPG
IMG_9109[1].JPG
IMG_9111[1].JPG

LoveOfallAnimals

Jul 17, 2022
Texas
Parrots
Eclectus - Female - Tequila
Red-Lored Amazon - Male - Tito
Albino Indian Ringneck - Female - Tia
Fatty liver disease is very common in amazons. I would have blood work done asap. Not trying to scare you, but I have never seen a feather change like that in an amazon or any parrot that isn't a sign of illness. There is a slight chance it is due to poor diet, but you would still need bloodwork to determine what is going on and how to fix it.

OP
calieckies

calieckies

Aug 2, 2013
Houston, TX
Parrots
Fatty liver disease is very common in amazons. I would have blood work done asap. Not trying to scare you, but I have never seen a feather change like that in an amazon or any parrot that isn't a sign of illness. There is a slight chance it is due to poor diet, but you would still need bloodwork to determine what is going on and how to fix it.
I take my birds into an Avian Vet within a month of adopt for a wellness exam with bloodwork so that is on the list.

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
I have seen Red Lored Amazon hybrid‘s that had similar appearance.
Truly beautiful.
But a blood test is definitely in order just to be sure.

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
And.
Amazon coloration does chang some as they age.
A yellow nape has no yellow on his neck for the first couple of years so all the yellow showing up on your bird could be understandable.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
This species (group) of Amazons are best defined by their clear /yellow of their bill and nails! The four species that have that clear/yellow are found fairly close to each other geographically. It is important to know that when there are light to heavy darker areas, that implies an additional species within the group. They commonly do not interbred and as a result hybrids are not common. That said, it is not uncommon for them to push base colors anywhere on their body and from time to time on their wings and tail feathers.

I am going to guess that you did not receive a Hatch Certificate with your Amazon, correct? All Amazons under the age of 5/6 must have a Hatch Certificate that states, separately, the species of each parent, the hatch date, the name and contact information of the Breeder, etc. Plus, each transfer point between that and you.

Let's talk about his coloration and dispel some theories regarding them as near all parrots can as a result of their DNA, Diet and Health, result in the eruptions of color in fields not normal found. Examples: Yellow and/or Red on the Back or Breast. Yellow, Red or both on the crest/top of the head. As a result, it is critical to first determine the overall health of the Amazon and with that begin to define .

While at the upcoming vet visit, please have the Avian Vet begin to reduct the length of his upper bill.

Last edited:

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
I do not endorse anything in this video but.
This woman adopted this hybrid RLA and her YT channel was the first time seeing such a stunning parrot
If you explore her channel you can find the video of her meeting and adopting of Leo.
I believe there are 2 other forum members with birds that could be hybrids.

this is a pic of my non hybrid RLA Pacho.
IMGP0233.jpeg

OP
calieckies

calieckies

Aug 2, 2013
Houston, TX
Parrots
This species (group) of Amazons are best defined by their clear /yellow of their bill and nails! The four species that have that clear/yellow are found fairly close to each other geographically. It is important to know that when there are light to heavy darker areas, that implies an additional species within the group. They commonly do not interbred and as a result hybrids are not common. That said, it is not uncommon for them to push base colors anywhere on their body and from time to time on their wings and tail feathers.

I am going to guess that you did not receive a Hatch Certificate with your Amazon, correct? All Amazons under the age of 5/6 must have a Hatch Certificate that states, separately, the species of each parent, the hatch date, the name and contact information of the Breeder, etc. Plus, each transfer point between that and you.

Let's talk about his coloration and dispel some theories regarding them as near all parrots can as a result of their DNA, Diet and Health, result in the eruptions of color in fields not normal found. Examples: Yellow and/or Red on the Back or Breast. Yellow, Red or both on the crest/top of the head. As a result, it is critical to first determine the overall health of the Amazon and with that begin to define .

While at the upcoming vet visit, please have the Avian Vet begin to reduct the length of his upper bill.
It’s a rescue so we don’t get hatch certificates. His baby photo though made him look like a lilac crowned though I am not great at picking out amazons besides the top ones. Though I am in FL and we do have some not as common species around he didn’t look to have any yellow in the photo I saw. Though it could be from health which we will of course get blood work done I wanted to see if anyone had seen it like this.
In eclectus parrots I see red/yellow due to liver and plucking. In greys we see red from plucking (though there is that mutation). I just haven’t seen Amazons come in with a large change like that.

Attachments

• IMG_8930.jpeg
    IMG_8930.jpeg
    44.4 KB · Views: 21

LoveOfallAnimals

Jul 17, 2022
Texas
Parrots
Eclectus - Female - Tequila
Red-Lored Amazon - Male - Tito
Albino Indian Ringneck - Female - Tia
It’s a rescue so we don’t get hatch certificates. His baby photo though made him look like a lilac crowned though I am not great at picking out amazons besides the top ones. Though I am in FL and we do have some not as common species around he didn’t look to have any yellow in the photo I saw. Though it could be from health which we will of course get blood work done I wanted to see if anyone had seen it like this.
In eclectus parrots I see red/yellow due to liver and plucking. In greys we see red from plucking (though there is that mutation). I just haven’t seen Amazons come in with a large change like that.
His baby picture looks like a normal green cheeked Amazon and not a lilac crown to me. The fact that he doesn't seem to have any yellow in that picture leads me to believe this is from diet or disease. But I am by no means an expert. Please keep us updated on how he is doing.

budgie choir

Jul 1, 2023
Parrots
Budgies: Yoko, Dreamy, Ono, Jeter, Liilly, Primrose, Pegasus
We added a new flock member today.
Question... do any of you have amazons who have such a different coloration from when they were babies? I will add the baby photo I was told was him and him now.
(I know in eckies we see yellow come in with liver issues)

View attachment 52369View attachment 52370View attachment 52371View attachment 52372View attachment 52373View attachment 52374
hi there I add milk thistle (the Pet Stop New Hampshire) to all the birds water or food...because they all came to me on totally on millet diet....they also have bentonite clay which i rec . to use in between medication treatments....

for instance i treat for mites every three months...then take a break from treatments they get vitamins and bee pollen (for molting and hormones) herbs milk thistle, calcium, pau d arco (reduces inflammation) and spices...

then we break from that and they get a bland diet with veggie pellets seeds and fruits...but I treat them for parasites 1 a year, then we were also do a doxy treatment for a lung condition (treat the flock not just one) i dont separate them unless really sick.... because that stresses them out....and they are all regurgitating with each for happiness as bonds and they need that to heal so I treat them all....but i alternate a supplement diet and bland diet during treatments and give them detoxes in between.

i also add apple cider vinegar in their water and aloe sometimes....also they love lemongrass tea...

Avian Organics out of canada also has some amazing food options....very boutique....your bird probably could crunch on the dehydrated sprouts (full of organ support) but mine beaks to small legumes to hard so chop them with the seeds in a chopper...

CONGRATULATIONS what a beautiful beautiful beautiful being.....Love the freckles....

OP
calieckies

calieckies

Aug 2, 2013
Houston, TX
Parrots
His baby picture looks like a normal green cheeked Amazon and not a lilac crown to me. The fact that he doesn't seem to have any yellow in that picture leads me to believe this is from diet or disease. But I am by no means an expert. Please keep us updated on how he is doing.
You’re right after looking he looks like a red crowned aka green cheek. So many photos online have the wrong labels for them it’s easy to get the wrong one.

Most Reactions

Latest posts