New Galah Cockatoo

sarai7

May 1, 2016
Michigan
Parrots
Ace - RB2
So I brought home a new (12 year old) Galah cockatoo from a bird expo that I went to in Madison Heights MI. I had been looking for a bird for awhile. He was affectionate through the cage and seemed to really enjoy head scratches.

After a stressful day getting him home, he is settling in his new home. The travel cage I had was quite small but moving him to the larger cage proved rather difficult as he did not want me to handle him and he wouldn't come out on his own.

Today he is settling in.... there is much more to tell. However to start he still really enjoys head scratches through the bars or if I stick my hand in, he will move a few inches towards me to get the scratches, and does the same for my 9 year old son.

I know that he still needs time but, Any tips for gaining his trust to eventually get him to step up and come out? I bought a nice perch for him outside of the cage when he is ready.

He has begun eating and drinking, and even fresh veggies that I gave him tonight - seemed to like the green leaf lettuce and pea pods but no to broccoli and carrots. :grey:

mypinklove

Apr 20, 2016
Arizona
Parrots
Charlie - 13 yr old RB2
Replied a longer post to your other thread. :) If he absolutely is afraid, just spend some time sitting near his cage while doing other things so he can see you're fine, and try talking to him a lot and being friendly. He will become curious. Also try offering tasty treats at the entrance of the cage, and don't stick your hand all deep in there. He needs to know that's his safe place. GL!

Also that's great that he is accepting fresh veggies!! Keep that up - these birds need veggies

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
A warm welcome to you and your Galah! Give him some time to feel safe and acclimate to his new home. Cockatoos are by nature very curious, and will eventually explore. Positive reinforcement is key to developing a great relationship.

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Welcome to the forums! Congratulations on your newest addition.

OP
S

sarai7

May 1, 2016
Michigan
Parrots
Ace - RB2
A warm welcome to you and your Galah! Give him some time to feel safe and acclimate to his new home. Cockatoos are by nature very curious, and will eventually explore. Positive reinforcement is key to developing a great relationship.

Thank you! I hope he comes around. Judging from his band I think he is actually about 16 years old and not 12.

He has been coming out of his cage and sitting on top or sitting on the door flap and seems to really like that. And thankfully I've had to problems coercing him back in the cage. Bought a clicker today. Starting to acclimate him to that.

Most Reactions