New GCC advice needed

Oiseau

Jul 8, 2020
Parrots
Govi ~ Pied Cockatiel *
Nellie ~ GCC *
Pearl ~ White Face Cinnamon Pied Cockatiel
Hi Parrot lovers,

I just brought home a three-month old GCC. Her name is Nellie and she seems pretty mellow. She was hand-fed and has been around people a fair bit. She's already been eating and exploring and chirping away in her cage. I've had her out with me for a few minutes and she was pretty chill about it, exploring with her beak mostly.

However I want to make sure I do things in a way that is most beneficial to developing a relationship of trust with her. I've only ever had cockatiels so GCC care is all new to me. And I'm hesitant around how to begin. She's fine with me at her cage, fine with my hands in her cage, I've extended my hand to her, very near her and she just looks inquisitively. She's eaten millet from my hand, the door open me offering it to her but it's clear she's still hesitant.

I'm surprised that she's this chill after only 24 hrs but rather than assume she's not experiencing some kind of stress I want to proceed in a way that deepens the trust bond. I'm happy to let her stay in her cage for as long as she needs but sometimes it seems like she wants out though when I open the door she doesn't make any motion to come forwards. So I'm not sure what to do next. How do I go from this to having her feel comfortable stepping onto my hand of her own accord rather than me scooping her up. I'm thinking maybe target training inside her cage? But then I wonder if that's too much, too soon. Anyway lots of questions. TIA :gcc:

T00tsyd

May 8, 2017
UK
Parrots
Green cheek conure - Sydney (Syd) Hatched 2/2017
Welcome and congrats. She is very young still and inexperienced. Give her time to completely relax and get used to the new surroundings. Chat quietly to her, read out loud, talk about what you are dong so that she can get to know you.

When Syd was new he would freak if I suddenly wore a different colour, so keep things the same as far as possible. Give treats when she approaches the bars of the cage but the fact that she does not approach suggests she is unsure. As far as she knows, you might eat her. Try not to do anything that stresses her. It might seem as if nothing is happening but take your time and read read read here. You could read the suggestions to her the you would both know :) Hopefully someone else will give you links to suitable articles to help you along. The best advice is patience patience patience.

OP
Oiseau

Oiseau

Jul 8, 2020
Parrots
Govi ~ Pied Cockatiel *
Nellie ~ GCC *
Pearl ~ White Face Cinnamon Pied Cockatiel
Thanks for the input. Nellie's curiosity seems to have won out over her fear. By day 2 she was clamoring to get out of her cage so I followed her lead. She's been keen ever since, waiting to get out as soon as I'm up and not happy at all when I put her cover on. I'm used to our cockatiel going to bed happily at 8 but Nellie wants to be up much longer. She made quite the noise the first time I covered her at 8 lol. My little party girl.

I've been doing clicker training with her from the start and she's now stepping up onto my finger remarkably well considering she's only been with us for a few days. For me the issue is going to be establishing some routines around cage and non-cage times as at this point she'd like to be out all the time. I'd love for that to be how things are however we have two dogs only one of whom I feel would be able to curb his natural prey instinct. For Govi, our cockatiel, our pattern has been to give the morning over to him making sure the dogs were either outside or downstairs so he could have the run of a few rooms for a few hours. He's flighted so this has been great for him.

Things are def going to require more creative use of time and space now with Nellie's arrival, and this coming week, Pearl's arrival, another cockatiel. I may just go ahead and start a new thread detailing our progress since I'm learning so much despite having been a bird owner for a decade. Thanks again for your input :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts