New GCC owner:reading leg band

Rubyandme

Aug 2, 2013
Denver, Co
Parrots
Green cheek conure- Ruby
Hello everyone! I recently got my new baby (ruby) yesterday from petco and was looking at her leg band and I'm not too sure how to read it or what the numbers mean. Her band says "aloha" and then vertically say "HI 13" and then three more numbers horizontally. I'm assuming she's from Hawaii but does the band tell me anything about her birth date etc? Unfortunately the petco I got her from is having a hard time finding her hatchery certificate. :(. Also, I'm assuming its a female lol. Is there a way to tell the sex without a DNA test?? Any advice/help would be appreciated as she is my first bird.

Echo

Dec 7, 2009
USA
Parrots
Green Cheek Conures, Crimson Conures, CAG, Pionus, Budgies, Goffin Cockatoo
HI 13- Usually it is the state and year of hatch, so the bird comes from Hawaii and was born in 2013.
The numbers after, usually 3, stand for the number bird she is. For the breeder to keep track of the number of birds he sells. Usually you buy leg bands in consecutive numbers and place on the bird's leg in the order of hatch.

The only way to tell the gender is with DNA testing

bob1

Jul 21, 2013
California
Parrots
Chico the Cinnamon Green Conure and Malik the Congo African Grey
Some breeders say to tell if you want to know the gender you look at the birds pelvis if it is wide its female if it its together or close together its male.

Most Reactions