New here - can’t get lovebird out of cage

CometMom

Jan 21, 2023
Parrots
Lovebird
Hi everyone! We welcomed a baby Fishers lovebird to our home right before the new year. His name is Comet and he’s adorable! He’s been out of the cage a couple of times - once for a bath which he loved and once because he flew out of the cage. Both times when I had him in my hand he let me kiss him and give him scritches. But no matter what I do, I cannot coax him out of the cage with millet spray. Any ideas what I’m doing wrong? So happy to be here. (For background, I had a parrotlet named Phoebe for about 12 years but she died last year. And before that I had a pair of fishers lovebirds). Thank you for any advice!

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Maybe you could clip the cage door open and allow him to come out and explore in his own time?
Feed him treats and millet from your fingers or hand so he expects good things from your hands:

Last edited:

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I'm so happy you joined us! I agree with Heather, letting him come out on his own will bring the best results. Keep offering the millet, or you can clip it to the top of his cage where he has to come out to explore it. It sounds like you have a sweet baby there and you're doing everything right so far:)

Comet is a beauty!

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
My Quaker is very tame but sometimes he doesn’t want to come out of his cage and if I MAKE him step up or pick him up he’s really offended. He used to step onto my towel-covered hand from inside his cage, but lately he wants to come out of his cage on his own and then step onto my hand from his door.

I’m sad he doesn’t like me inside his cage but he didn’t know me from a chick so…I need to wait for him to come out to his door now.

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
I agree with the above. My Aster wont step up inside the cage and will run from me for whatever reason but if I leave the door open and walk away for .2 seconds she would clamber out and step up from there. Shes weird. Just prop the door open and let Comet come out on his own.

OP
CometMom

CometMom

Jan 21, 2023
Parrots
Lovebird
I'm so happy you joined us! I agree with Heather, letting him come out on his own will bring the best results. Keep offering the millet, or you can clip it to the top of his cage where he has to come out to explore it. It sounds like you have a sweet baby there and you're doing everything right so far:)

Comet is a beauty!
Thank you so much! His personality is so sweet and these suggestions are great. I don’t want to push him beyond his comfort zone. The pair of lovebirds I had years ago came out of the cage as soon as I opened the door and when it was time for them to go back in I would tap the door and in they would go! 🤗

OP
CometMom

CometMom

Jan 21, 2023
Parrots
Lovebird
I agree with the above. My Aster wont step up inside the cage and will run from me for whatever reason but if I leave the door open and walk away for .2 seconds she would clamber out and step up from there. Shes weird. Just prop the door open and let Comet come out on his own.
Thank you!!

OP
CometMom

CometMom

Jan 21, 2023
Parrots
Lovebird
My Quaker is very tame but sometimes he doesn’t want to come out of his cage and if I MAKE him step up or pick him up he’s really offended. He used to step onto my towel-covered hand from inside his cage, but lately he wants to come out of his cage on his own and then step onto my hand from his door.

I’m sad he doesn’t like me inside his cage but he didn’t know me from a chick so…I need to wait for him to come out to his door now.
I get that. But it’s sure good he comes out on his own. It’s amazing how different they can be outside the cage.

ShadyCrooks

Apr 24, 2023
Parrots
Jenday - Conure- Vladamore
Hi everyone! We welcomed a baby Fishers lovebird to our home right before the new year. His name is Comet and he’s adorable! He’s been out of the cage a couple of times - once for a bath which he loved and once because he flew out of the cage. Both times when I had him in my hand he let me kiss him and give him scritches. But no matter what I do, I cannot coax him out of the cage with millet spray. Any ideas what I’m doing wrong? So happy to be here. (For background, I had a parrotlet named Phoebe for about 12 years but she died last year. And before that I had a pair of fishers lovebirds). Thank you for any advice!
I know this is an old thread but wanted to say my guy didn't come out of his cage for months when I first brought him home. I think as they trust you that will change on their timeline, not yours. It's well worth the wait.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I know this is an old thread but wanted to say my guy didn't come out of his cage for months when I first brought him home. I think as they trust you that will change on their timeline, not yours. It's well worth the wait.
Excellent advice, this is also what we do with our birds.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Thank you so much! His personality is so sweet and these suggestions are great. I don’t want to push him beyond his comfort zone. The pair of lovebirds I had years ago came out of the cage as soon as I opened the door and when it was time for them to go back in I would tap the door and in they would go! 🤗
Eventually, unless he's very scared, I would think he will get so bored he'll come out on his own as long as he feels safe around you and is accustomed to the room itself. No dogs or cats in the room ever of course or he will be understandingly too scared to come out. Same with small, fast moving, loud children- they can really unnerve a nervous bird.
Keeping his door open all the time when it's safe and you in the room is the best idea. If that doesn't work I don't know what to suggest. Forcing him to come out is a very bad idea, of course. Does he have a play perch on to of his cage? When he finally ventures out he will probably want to stay close to home. He will probably climb out to sit on top of his cage at first, and probably when you aren't even watching.

Most Reactions

Latest posts