New here! Considering adopting a rehomed Amazon!

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
Sorry! I must have missed something in the rules I guess, I tried to post this to the Amazon subforum and it doesn't appear to have worked so I am trying it here! :)

Hi!

Our family consists of a toddler (almost 2) a second grader (7) and my partner and I (both female) as well as two chihuahuas, and we are looking to add a parrot to our family.

Some background: I have parrot experience (specifically smaller conures, tiels/keets and a Timneh African grey) from previous jobs and fostering. I am currently a stay at home mom and illustrator. My partner does not have any bird experience, but is usually not home as she works during the week as a software engineer. The kids already know to obey boundaries around pets as our two dogs are quite small and fragile - but obviously they are mammals & predators and therefore totally different in needs/behavior.

We have been trying to figure out exactly what species of bird we'd like to make part of our family, and as part of this process I've been keeping an eye out for rehomes/rescues. Some of the local rescues (not all, but a good number) don't like to adopt to people who live in multi unit homes (we are in a condo) or people with kids, which is totally understandable.

ANYWAY, the meat and potatoes is this - we found a couple who is looking to rehome their blue fronted amazons. They have two females, one that they have had for some time and one they acquired in January. This most recent one is 30+ years old and she is the bird we are considering. For the first few months they had her she was as her previous owner described: a quiet and affectionate bird who loved being petted and being in the room with her people.

Her previous owner brought her everywhere with her and handled her frequently and as I understand it she was an only bird. In the new household however, she's recently bonded strongly with their other female BFA and has gone from being what they described as a "cuddle bug" to no longer being hand tame. In addition, their original bird has taken to screaming etc. Now, it's June and we're in the Pacific Northwest so I wouldn't be entirely surprised if this was somehow hormonal as it's a fairly recent development for both of them. Since both birds have separate cages, I'm not sure why they don't just separate them, but I guess that's a different issue.

So, as we understand it, the good:
- Previously was very easy to handle and relatively docile

- Liked going places on car rides and in a travel cage

- According to both the previous and current owner, likes kids (inclusive of toddlers), doesn't mind the noise they make, seems unaffected by a boisterous household

- Is quiet and likes to chatter to herself throughout the day rather than scream, save for when she barks like a dog, which our dogs already do plenty of

- She's an older lady at 30+ years. I considered this a bonus as I assume that whatever personality she has is going to be what she will continue to display moving forward, and she's well past any broody/moody birdy teens.

The bad(?):
- Has recently been avoiding her humans in favor of her bird companion

- Apparently does not sleep in her cage at night - she sleeps on the playstand on top, but is never confined to her cage - something I consider a safety issue. ON TOP OF THAT, because her cage is in a public room, the lights are on/people are active sometimes very late at night and I cannot imagine she's getting sufficient sleep - a HUGE REASON why we'd like her to be cage friendly, as we had intended to have a sleeping cage in our room since it's always dark/quiet as it's where our toddler currently sleeps.

- Is overweight due to poor diet, an issue the current owner is working on

- This isn't bad but makes the above weight issue difficult: she doesn't seem to like to play with toys or fly from place to place according to her current owner.

The ugly:
- Current owner says previous owner took her to the vet before they took her in, but I have not seen any vet papers yet (but I also haven't specifically asked for paperwork, just asked if THEY have taken her in due to her age and the weight issue). We do live near a great avian vet, and I intend to take whatever bird we end up with in for a check up the day we get them, but at her age an uncertain health history is concerning.

- Doesn't willingly step up currently as far as I know due to the issue with bonding to their first bird

- I have no idea how she'll react to being removed from her newfound ladylove and put in a completely unfamiliar environment (she does come with her cage)

I had about a 45 minute long conversation over the phone with her current owner, and she was happy to agree to let us visit them before making any decisions about this. She's a long time parrot owner herself and knows fids are a big commitment. The questions I have, I suppose, are the following:

1.) Am I totally crazy? By that I mean that a lot of my bird owning friends think I'm nuts for considering a rehome over going through a breeder (or even for considering a larger parrot with kids in the house). I just feel like there are an awful lot of parrots without homes and if it's possible it would sure be nice to adopt instead of shop (no hate to breeders here though!)

2.) How is she likely to handle the separation? Is there anything we can do to mitigate it?

3.) How can we deal with the cage issue? I'd love for her to spend most of her day out of the cage - but when I'm leaving the house to run errands that I can't bring her on, or at night, I would really like her to go into her larger cage we'd keep in the corner of the living room, or into a smaller sleep cage/travel cage/modified wire kennel?? something for her in our quieter bedroom at night.

4.) This lovely lady lives an hour and a half outside of town from me, so it's going to be a small trek to visit her. Do you have any tips on how best to spend these visits? What should I be looking for? Should I bring the kids or leave them at home, etc? How many visits should we try to make time for before making our decision?

5.) Finally, and probably a question I should have asked at the BEGINNING instead of the END, haha - should we just do as a couple people have told me and get something smaller like a 'tiel? I really loved the grey that I had about ten years ago. There was just something very compelling about how intelligent she was, and how aware she was of the mood in the room, etc. I'm not sure how a smaller parrot would compare. To that end though, we have reached out to the breeder that a friend of ours got her very handsome 'tiel from, and she's also offered to open her home to us to visit and get to know her birds.

Sorry for the MASSIVE post. I just want to do this right and not end up with a stressed out bird and a stressed out family - I want whatever bird we get to be a mutually beneficial experience. I know it'll take work either way, but we want to ensure that we're a good fit for each other. I did read the sticky and ordered both the "parrot handbooks" reccomended as well as I assume they will be useful no matter what species we end up with. We also considered quakers but because they are illegal in California and my partner is in software development its possible we may have to relocate there at some point.

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
Hello and welcome! I am only qualified to answer question #1! Yes, you are! This is a prequalification for any ‘bird’ person!
Our Zon sperts will greatly assist with this life transition!

Last edited:

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Welcome to Parrot Forum!
Amazons, if you will, the mid to larger Parrots are different from smaller Parrots with regard to one's experience level. In addition, one needs more room with the larger Parrots regarding the cage(s), play stands, food storage (Freezer space), etc... In addition, there is commonly more time required for the full range of care from clean-up to one-on-one time.

With two kids and two dogs, where will this additional time come from?
The choice to add a Parrot to a family needs to be a 'family' want, which is far more that an individual's want.
With Parrots, they are much better at choosing Humans then Humans are a choosing a Parrot. Humans tend to be all into Appearances (coloration /species), Size, etc... Parrots are into whether they have an interest in this single individual (or family).

***It is better to let the Parrot choose you!!!

What questions are most important to you at this time?

Last edited:

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Hello and welcome!

1. I think it very awesome and smart to re-home-- there are a million birds in need of homes and while I can see while people are drawn to breeders, I honestly think that by getting an older bird (post puberty), you A) skip that hell-hole of time, B) have less a risk of spoiling them early on, C) get a better idea of what your bird's personality will be like and D) RESCUE a bird who has gone through some very unfair times.

Since you have a background in birds, I am guessing you know about the dangers of using Teflon/PTFE/PFOA/PFCs around a bird, but does your partner? The whole "no respiratory irritants" thing is a big pain for people not ready to make that lifestyle changes (standard cleaners, candles, Teflon, perfumes, smoke of any kind= all unsafe)...It's a lot to take on unless you are truly on-board with it. I would definitely have that discussion. Although it doesn't seem like that much of a big deal, always having to call ahead when buying cookware, irons, space heaters etc is SERIOUSLY annoying.

This is coming from someone whose last relationship (with a non-bird person) was likely pushed over the edge by the bird--not that we didn't have issues, and even though I did discuss it with him first, my bird was kind of the straw that broke the camels back.

Other things to think about---potential screaming (again, you know this with bird experience) but will your partner be understanding? The same could be said about possible biting ect (if your bird bites your child, I am guessing that could cause some pretty emotional reactions all around). Before you do this, remember that if your kid is bitten, it isn't the bird's fault and make sure your partner isn't just saying "yeah, it'll be fine" because she has no idea what that is like. It is easy to think that you will be okay with certain things if you have never experienced them.

Another thing--- don't assume that this bird will adjust right away (sometimes it take a chunk of time). My bird came to me knowing how to step up (sweet, calm etc) and the transition was hard on her (she was a re-home). Anyway, she is great now, but it took about 3 months for her to be comfortable enough to step up.

On the visits, I would bring the kids (personal opinion) because that is the lifestyle she will be adopted into---if she hates them, then that could be an issue. It may take her more than a few exposures to adjust to them if she doesn't have a lot of experience with them...

Last thing--- birds often tend to bond strongly to one person. Consequently, do not depend on your anyone being able to handle the bird with the same ease as the person your bird bonds to. In all likelihood, that will be you, as you will be spending the most time with the bird at home.

OP
ravvlet

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
~~~
Welcome to Parrot Forum!
Amazons, if you will, the mid to larger Parrots are different from smaller Parrots with regard to one's experience level. In addition, one needs more room with the larger Parrots regarding the cage(s), play stands, food storage (Freezer space), etc... In addition, there is commonly more time required for the full range of care from clean-up to one-on-one time.

With two kids and two dogs, where will this additional time come from?
The choice to add a Parrot to a family needs to be a 'family' want, which is far more that an individual's want.
With Parrots, they are much better at choosing Humans then Humans are a choosing a Parrot. Humans tend to be all into Appearances (coloration /species), Size, etc... Parrots are into whether they have an interest in this single individual (or family).

***It is better to let the Parrot choose you!!!

What questions are most important to you at this time?

I do have some experience with larger parrots (specifically a TAG) and I definitely remember that she was a huge time commitment! We are home a lot, so someone will be home with her all day, and if I am going somewhere that is bird friendly I’d love to bring her along like her previous owner did. I am definitely still worried about making sure I have enough time (I tend to worry about everything). Like I said, we are open to a smaller bird instead if that is the right move for our household. I am less worried about the chores/cleaning time as I am also the primary cleaner upper and more about ensuring a solid amount of quality interaction time.

I guess what’s important to me is what you just said about the bird picking us - I don’t know how to allow that to happen! It seems like even with breeders the impetus is on us to choose the bird. With a rehome like this that seems even more true.

In addition I am concerned that separating her from her home and her newly bonded bird buddy is going to be a lot for an older bird and it might have some unintended and unfortunate consequences, either in health or behavior.

The lack of cage use is also a concern as currently her owner says she doesn’t leave her top of cage play stand. Since she’s overweight I would want her to move around more but if I introduce new play areas and encourage her to use the full range of our living area she might start exploring and get into trouble when I’m not supervising.

Finally- I know from experience that big birds pack a big bite! I also know it’s on us and not them when it happens. My TAG rarely bit but when she did she was very polite about it and never broke skin even though she absolutely could- I’ve heard ‘zons don’t dance around the point like that and aren’t afraid to give you a wallop. While this is fine for me and my partner, the kids would obviously have a significantly worse reaction so keeping them and the bird separate is going to be very important also - but I want them both to be able to share a living space/room. My biggest concerns here is if she wants to be on me and/or bonds to me because obviously my toddler is also going to want to be in my space.

ETA: My partner is on board and we have been discussing this at length! I forgot to mention that. She is inexperienced but I have been doing my best to teach her everything I know while doing additional research myself. Our kids are also pretty good about pet boundaries cos we have small fragile dogs who aren’t always comfortable with them.

Last edited:
OP
ravvlet

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
~~~
Hello and welcome!

1. I think it very awesome and smart to re-home-- there are a million birds in need of homes and while I can see while people are drawn to breeders, I honestly think that by getting an older bird (post puberty), you A) skip that hell-hole of time, B) have less a risk of spoiling them early on, C) get a better idea of what your bird's personality will be like and D) RESCUE a bird who has gone through some very unfair times.

Since you have a background in birds, I am guessing you know about the dangers of using Teflon/PTFE/PFOA/PFCs around a bird, but does your partner? The whole "no respiratory irritants" thing is a big pain for people not ready to make that lifestyle changes (standard cleaners, candles, Teflon, perfumes, smoke of any kind= all unsafe)...It's a lot to take on unless you are truly on-board with it. I would definitely have that discussion. Although it doesn't seem like that much of a big deal, always having to call ahead when buying cookware, irons, space heaters etc is SERIOUSLY annoying.

This is coming from someone whose last relationship (with a non-bird person) was likely pushed over the edge by the bird--not that we didn't have issues, and even though I did discuss it with him first, my bird was kind of the straw that broke the camels back.

Other things to think about---potential screaming (again, you know this with bird experience) but will your partner be understanding? The same could be said about possible biting ect (if your bird bites your child, I am guessing that could cause some pretty emotional reactions all around). Before you do this, remember that if your kid is bitten, it isn't the bird's fault and make sure your partner isn't just saying "yeah, it'll be fine" because she has no idea what that is like. It is easy to think that you will be okay with certain things if you have never experienced them.

Another thing--- don't assume that this bird will adjust right away (sometimes it take a chunk of time). My bird came to me knowing how to step up (sweet, calm etc) and the transition was hard on her (she was a re-home). Anyway, she is great now, but it took about 3 months for her to be comfortable enough to step up.

On the visits, I would bring the kids (personal opinion) because that is the lifestyle she will be adopted into---if she hates them, then that could be an issue. It may take her more than a few exposures to adjust to them if she doesn't have a lot of experience with them...

Last thing--- birds often tend to bond strongly to one person. Consequently, do not depend on your anyone being able to handle the bird with the same ease as the person your bird bonds to. In all likelihood, that will be you, as you will be spending the most time with the bird at home.

Happily my partner is a health/all natural stuff nut, so we already do not use Teflon/nonstick/air fresheners/candles etc! Screaming and biting are also worries for me. You are absolutely right, it is difficult for her to understand (I mean, I have taken them all to the local parrot shop during peak scream time etc) the potential noise but also how much damage these little guys can do with their beaks if we make a mistake - something kids are prone to do.

I have been reading a book about parrot training that mentions the import of proper socializing, and so I’m hoping with doing that whatever bird we end up with will be able to at least be able to step up/etc for other members of the household and even some close friends if possible.

Last edited:

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Even if you get a baby, sometimes they don't like other members of the family after puberty---yes, proper socialization helps, but not all birds will behave with all members of the family (try as they may to forge a connection). Some people have birds who do fairly well with others, some people have birds that don't, but if the possibility of your bird not liking everyone concerns you, I wouldn't get a bird, just because it isn't ever going to be as straight-forward in terms of bonding as other pets. They are instinctively wired to pick a mate and stick with them for life. Yes, socialization helps some, but it doesn't eliminate this tendency. They can easily become jealous as well if they feel that their special person is ignoring them for another member of the family. Again, getting a baby doesn't mean that you get to override these natural instincts--- at puberty when hormones kick in, they will often even change their preferences from one person to another...So it's fairly complicated...Which is why I say don't get a bird unless you are of the mindset that you will make it work no matter what.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Is she currently sharing a cage with another bird??
My guess is that they tried to get their bird a "friend" and then found that the bird wanted less to do with them as a result (again, they are programmed to form a solid, single bond).
Even if you weren't separating the bird from another bird (to whom it is bonded), you would be separating it from a human (to which it is bonded), so there is that transition issue either way. It is traumatic for them though, which is why I don't understand re-homing an already re-homed bird...But I digress. I am my bird's 4th home, and she does fine here, but it was a bit of a process (and that's okay with me, as they live forever).

That having been said, in terms of behavior and being quiet etc, I wouldn't rely too much on that just because it was likely situation specific---as this often is with birds. Why are her current owners wanting to re-home the poor thing so soon after adopting her?
Once she adjusts etc (assuming she is provided adequate stimulation, diet etc) then you may see those tendencies again, but transitions can take a chunk of time.

Last edited:
OP
ravvlet

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
~~~
Even if you get a baby, sometimes they don't like other members of the family after puberty---yes, proper socialization helps, but not all birds will behave with all members of the family (try as they may to forge a connection). Some people have birds who do fairly well with others, some people have birds that don't, but if the possibility of your bird not liking everyone concerns you, I wouldn't get a bird, just because it isn't ever going to be as straight-forward in terms of bonding as other pets. They are instinctively wired to pick a mate and stick with them for life. Yes, socialization helps some, but it doesn't eliminate this tendency. They can easily become jealous as well if they feel that their special person is ignoring them for another member of the family. Again, getting a baby doesn't mean that you get to override these natural instincts--- at puberty when hormones kick in, they will often even change their preferences from one person to another...So it's fairly complicated...Which is why I say don't get a bird unless you are of the mindset that you will make it work no matter what.

Okay, I understand that. That's another big reason we're considering a rehome - I am a bit wary of birdy puberty. I'd rather a bird who was 'settled into' their personality, if that makes sense?

Sorry if my reply was misleading, what I meant by that wasn't necessarily that I want him/her to LOVE every member of the family equally, I just want them to be tolerated and/or in the unlikely case of my absence I'd like to be sure at least one other adult person can care for him/her in the short term. I also meant that I understand that it will take work with any bird to properly socialize them/work with them and that the impetus to do that is on me.

It is important mainly to me that we can all peacefully coexist and enjoy each others' company, even if it's from a distance.

OP
ravvlet

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
~~~
Is she currently sharing a cage with another bird??
My guess is that they tried to get their bird a "friend" and then found that the bird wanted less to do with them as a result (again, they are programmed to form a solid bond).
Even if you weren't separating the bird from another bird (to whom it is bonded), you would be separating it from a human (to which it is bonded), so there is that transition issue either way.

That having been said, in terms of behavior and being quiet etc, I wouldn't rely too much on that just because it was likely situation specific---as this often is with birds. Why are her current owners wanting to re-home the poor thing so soon after adopting her?
They don't share a cage actually, they have seperate cages, but apparently the current owners don't confine them to their cages ever, even at night? Something I'd like to immediately change, haha. I'm all about maximizing out of cage time but houses are hazardous!

As I understand it, they got the second 'zon because the first one unexpectedly bonded to her boyfriend/husband/male partner who is not bird savvy (she had gotten the bird for herself) and the original bird doesn't really like women. The second BFA was supposed to be 'her' bird, but obviously that did not work out.

They're rehoming because as a result, their original bird has started screaming and her partner had brain surgery last year & is a veteran and the constant loud noise is causing major health issues.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
If you avoid allowing your bird to over-bond with any specific person, you will cut back on the potential for jealousy (this means avoiding hormonal triggers---petting only on the head/neck, 12 hours of quiet/dark sleep nightly, removing access to any shadowy places (under clothing, under furniture, boxes, pillows, blankets, bedding, low shelves, tunnels, tubes, huts etc), socializing the bird, providing a routine sleep/wake-up schedule etc...But even then, you will still be dealing with their instinctual drive.
My bird is obsessed with my dad who she sees maybe 2x a year (seriously, she hardly knows him!). She likes me a lot too---but he is her idol. When she sees or hears him, everyone else is "chopped liver" and I am the only one who can touch her when he is around because she tends to bite everyone else (the same people who could handle her if he was not around). She doesn't attack, but she will bite in an attempt to get to him.
Also, in terms of other people being able to handle your bird, they may get bitten from time-to-time so you will all need to become good at reading body language (so as to prevent biting) and then have the self-control to NOT react at all when it happens (not even scolding).
My bird is VERY good (as a rule) but when I am away, (say, on vacation or out for the afternoon) she tends to misbehave more (testing boundaries and being snarky because she can). She already bit me more than once (early on in our relationship) but now we are good (I tried to really respect her body language, which was extremely important- but even then, sometimes she had to do things she didn't want to do, and this resulted in biting). She tests people after the novelty of their presence wears off, and one test from her is enough to cause a lot of people to have doubts about wanting to pick her up again...She kind of draws people in and lulls them into a false sense of security, and then tries to see if she can push them around (after they let her on their shoulder etc). She can be very willful and stubborn about things and (as stated previously) even after we established a bond, she used to bite me to try to prevent me from putting her in her cage...She doesn't do this to me anymore, but when other people try, she figures "eh, it's worth a shot - chomp--anything??"- It's a lot like the way students behave with substitutes or new teacher (let's see what we can get away with). It isn't a dominance thing either...so try not to think of it that way, as that usually backfires. If a bird doesn't want to be touched, you should always respect that (the exception being if they are avoiding doing something that is essential, such as going back in the cage or in harms way).
Ultimately is your partner invested enough that she could sustain a bite without reacting or developing a serious fear? It can be hard to know if she hasn't experienced this before.

Last edited:
OP
ravvlet

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
~~~
If you avoid allowing your bird to over-bond with any specific person, you will cut back on the potential for jealousy (this means avoiding hormonal triggers---petting only on the head/neck, 12 hours of quiet/dark sleep nightly, removing access to any shadowy places (under clothing, under furniture, boxes, pillows, blankets, bedding, low shelves, tunnels, tubes, huts etc), socializing the bird, providing a routine sleep/wake-up schedule etc...But even then, you will still be dealing with their instinctual drive.
My bird is obsessed with my dad who she sees maybe 2x a year. She likes me a lot too---but he is her idol. When she sees or hears him, everyone else is "chopped liver" and I am the only one who can touch her when he is around because she tends to bite everyone else (the same people who could handle her if he was not around). She doesn't attack, but she will bite in an attempt to get to him.
Also, in terms of other people being able to handle your bird, they may get bitten from time-to-time so you will all need to become good at reading body language (so as to prevent biting) and then have the self-control to NOT react at all when it happens (not even scolding).
My bird is VERY good (as a rule) but when I am away, (say, on vacation or out for the afternoon) she tends to misbehave more (testing boundaries and being snarky because she can). She has already bit me (early on in our relationship) but now we are good (I tried to really respect her body language, which was extremely important- but even then, sometimes she had to do things she didn't want to do, and this resulted in biting). She tests people after the novelty of their presence wears off, and one test from her is enough to cause a lot of people to have doubts about wanting to pick her up again...She kind of draws people in and lulls them into a false sense of security, and then tries to see if she can push them around (after they let her on their shoulder etc). She can be very willful and stubborn about things and (as stated previously) even after we established a bond, she used to bite me to try to prevent me from putting her in her cage...She doesn't do this to me anymore, but when other people try, she figures "eh, it's worth a shot - chomp--anything??" --Is your partner invested enough that she could sustain a bite without reacting or developing a serious fear?

This is a lot of really good info! I have definitely been reading about the over-bonding thing, and the sleeping hours etc is a big concern considering it seems right now this bird isn't getting sufficient sleep! I know how my kids are when they don't sleep - the littlest one bites too, haha!

Thank you for your informative responses by the way! Am I correct in assuming your bird is an amazon? EDIT: Oops, checked your profile, you have a 'too! Wow! I have to be honest, I find 'toos really intimidating based on the info I've read about them, but they are very beautiful birds.

I have stressed to my partner that birds will bite when we make mistakes and that they bite HARD. She's worked with horses before and large, aggressive dogs, so I am not worried about her being afraid of a bird bite. I mean, I guess I could find a bird volunteer to bite her (JOKING MOSTLY) to be totally sure though, hah!

I was hoping that this bird in particular would retain some of it's personality traits as described by it's previous owners - should I not expect that at all though? That's obviously an important consideration for us or anyone, I imagine. I'm trying to do my best to know what to expect, and it sounds like we should expect the unexpected. :)

Last edited:

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
A mis-bite can be catastrophic! We have a member, who’s wife almost died when their trusted zon clipped her jugular vein! They were sure it was an accident, something spooked the parrot! This may have been hormonal related too!
Super rare, absolutely!

OP
ravvlet

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
~~~
A mis-bite can be catastrophic! We have a member, who’s wife almost died when their trusted zon clipped her jugular vein! They were sure it was an accident, something spooked the parrot! This may have been hormonal related too!
Super rare, absolutely!

Whoa! That's crazy! Yeah, I've been reading up that shoulder time should be a privilege and not a right, and I guess that really emphasizes that!

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Toos are a mess. I love mine, but they are ridiculous...ugh lol..so exhausting...
I think that if your bird is relatively stable, that it will retain its core traits. That having been said, different environments produce different responses---For instance, I am visiting my parents as we speak, and my bird acts like a giant brat here (even though she is quite angelic at my house). She also loves it at my parents house, so it's silly.
In all likelihood, assuming you are very patient and establish a routine etc, read the cues, and work at your bird's pace, you will see that personality the old owner described. It took me about a half year to see my bird in the same way that she had been described to me. Again, I am her 4th home, so with the right situation/tools, I think your bird will adjust---it just takes them time (and your kids will have to be very understanding).
Another really important thing is that no one respond to screaming. It is very tempting to walk into the room to stop the mind-numbing sounds, but if you do, you just teach your bird that screaming gets it attention (this can be a real issue if any of your kids have nap-times, homework or if you are trying to make a business call). It is a waiting game a lot of times, and birds are more stubborn than toddlers. SO, you, your kids and partner will have to understand that they cannot look at, talk to or enter the room (if they were out of the room) if screaming is happening--if they do, the bird will form an association. With consistency, screaming/fits will decrease, but that is why it is SO important that no one inadvertently reinforce obnoxious vocalizations. Screaming is part of their instincts as well, but you don't want to reward it. You can pick a sound you prefer and reinforce that---for instance, my bird says "I love you big bird" when she wants attention, because whenever she did, I ran over to her lol. You can also sometimes prevent it by talking to your bird from the other room so that they know you are alive and well and don't feel the need to "flock call" as much. That having been said, if you talk to your bird from the other room and screaming starts, stop talking etc (withdraw all attention) until the bird has been quiet for 15 seconds or so (pick a time and start the count--resetting it each time it is interrupted by a scream).

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome, thanks for a thorough and passionate introduction! You have considered the requisite questions and seem a prime candidate for adoption of this Amazon.

I suspect most of your questions and trepidation will be addressed with multiple visits. As others suggest, letting the bird choose you is gateway to a successful relationship. Nothing can fully prepare for homecoming, but experience, attitude, and an abundance of available time will get you through the rough spots.

You'll have a wonderful support network as our members have abundant Amazon experience!

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Super rare, absolutely!

When my BFA hit puberty ~32 years ago he'd fly to the shoulder and bite near the jugular. He's lost that habit but is not sufficiently trustworthy to have shoulder privileges.

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
Hello and welcome!

Bravo to you for considering adopting an older parrot.

I have been unbelievably fortunate lately, so I can offer a little bit about being chosen by a bird. First off, if the bird chooses, you will know. If possible, I would advise several visits before you consider bringing any bird home. I think ideally, visit with just this bird, without the other one being present, even within ear contact. Understand it is a process that takes time, and the travel can be an issue, but I promise, if it's the right bird, it's totally worth it.

My fids are rescues. They involved weeks and weeks of Saturday visits (my only available day to make the trip) an hour each way. Tucker, my Ekkie, knew the day we met, and it took me the time to know for myself. I had just lost my best friend on the planet, Patches, and mostly, I looked at the visits as therapy for me. Tucker had other plans... I knew I needed another bird at some point, but didn't think it would be fair to a new one while still grieving. He wormed his way into my heart very quickly, so I knew it was a good match.

I never dreamed of being a two bird home. At the end of a visit with Tucker, a little voice (an actual voice) called out to me. Hello... Hello... HELLO!!! I had to ask who that was, as it came from the far side of the room with approx. 75 birds there. It was Baxter, a 17 year old YNA. She had been there for over a year, since she was very particular about who she would allow to handle her, didn't like men at all, and only specific women with short hair. I was exactly what she didn't like. I asked to go say hi, and she put her head down for skritches, and stepped up and snuggled in. This happened before I knew of her preferences, and the refuge owner was in shock that I didn't lose a finger or my arm! I was the first male able to handle her in the entire time she was there. Body language told me all I needed to know. It took me a while to get my brain around having two birds, but I have no regrets at all.

Sorry for the long post. Again, just take from it that if it's right, she will let you know, and it's magic!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
How you know if a parrot has chosen you.
There are several ways a parrot can show you that they want to come home with you but it depends a lot on the temperament of the parrot. If you are dealing with a bird that is friendly with everyone it's very hard to say that there is a special connection between you.
Does the bird follow you from one side of the cage to the other as you move around? Does he/she do that with everyone that approaches him? When you walk away does the bird call to you and want you to come back? Does he ask for scratches when you approach the cage? Does the bird start to regurgitate when you start to scratch around the face/ear? This is all stuff I look for when I am considering a bird I might want to take home.

With a bird that has a more stand-off-ish behavior it's much easier. If you walk up to a bird and he wants to be scratched by you and you oblige him, then a shop worker comes up and says "I have never seen him do that for anyone" or "you're the first person I have seen that has been able to touch him" you know you just can't leave without him.

There is one other response to look for in Amazons in particular but it is tricky to interpret. Amazons have 2 display modes that look very similar but are about as opposite in meaning as can be. Tail fanned out, eyes pinning, and vocalizing, sometimes swaying back and forth. This can mean "pick me up" or it can mean "if you try to touch me I will try to remove a finger". For me the thing that makes the difference between the 2 are the sounds the bird gives off. If the bird is saying words all is good and you my proceed, if the bird his hissing or is mute and has his beak open part way BACK OFF you won't like the results.
The birds that have chosen me 1 was a call back. I was walking out the store and this one little cockatiel stuck his head in between the bars and was calling for all he was worth. I walked back in and bought him.

Patcho was a rescue from a pet shop and the shop worker was chasing her around the shop. Patcho on the floor and the shop worker armed with a stick (perch actually). I intervened and picked the bird up with my hand. Took her home that day.

Bella was a rescue from a shop. I asked to pick her up and she RAN up my arm and did not want to leave my shoulder.

Anyway I hope this gives you an idea of what "being chosen by a parrot" can look like.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
I love the way our community pulls together when new folks join and reach out. :)

9lhIlM0.jpg

Most Reactions