New here with recently adopted Indian Ringneck!

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
What a gorgeous IRN!

I like flat top cages, its so easy to add your own perches to the top and set out dishes or bath bowls. Plus I think play tops are kinda an expensive rip off....
This is the style I really like! I've had so many different kinds over the years , but now I'm sticking with thus style. Took me a couple of years to get all 4 matching ones.
Thread '2nd SCORE!!!!' https://www.parrotforums.com/threads/2nd-score.93628/

OP
K

Kays4

Jun 7, 2022
What a gorgeous IRN!

I like flat top cages, its so easy to add your own perches to the top and set out dishes or bath bowls. Plus I think play tops are kinda an expensive rip off....
This is the style I really like! I've had so many different kinds over the years , but now I'm sticking with thus style. Took me a couple of years to get all 4 matching ones.
Thread '2nd SCORE!!!!' https://www.parrotforums.com/threads/2nd-score.93628/
That looks like a nice cage! Any idea of brand or where it was purchased? What are the dimensions?

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Welcome to the forum!

I have a suggestion for bathing. I use Youtube and play a rain storm and almost all of my birds immediately get ready for their baths. I use a mist bottle. My IRN, Kodee, loves baths so much now.
For cages, I like either flat tops or play tops. I'm not a fan of the dome cages because you can't make a play area on them. Sadly I have several dome tops, and those birds hang out on the cages that have play tops/flat tops.

Your new baby is gorgeous!

Jexnell

Supporting Member
2x Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jul 28, 2019
Portland Oregon
Parrots
Phoenix - Sun conure
Welcome to the feathered family!

As mentioned try playing either rain or thunderstorms sounds from YouTube etc. My guy Phoenix is immediately ready for bath time when he hears rain sounds.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
That looks like a nice cage! Any idea of brand or where it was purchased? What are the dimensions?
That one i found in Facebook market place, fir $75. I got my first one used at a pet store fir 100, bought one new for 250..its 32 long 21 drp s d 63 high I think. Maybe Brisbane is the name? Then I bought one slightly different but very close from ebay or Craigslist
Prices have gone up on new ones and they were back ordered so I had to keep searching the used cafes for sale. Took over a year to find my last one. But there was the exact sane cage for sake on Facebook just 59 miles away . Just takes persistence if you need to go the bargain way like I did

Last edited:

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
for bath a big shallow serving or casserole dish with 2 inches of water or less. Really splash in it with hand maybe have a faucet running in background the sound of moving water and tge splashing usually works like a charm.
I set mine on top of my cage.

This my current bath bowl
Post in thread 'Laura's Flock Thread' https://www.parrotforums.com/threads/lauras-flock-thread.93715/post-1000024

Last edited:

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
This is a great target training video. Cover teaching target first, cover some common mistakes, covers tge importance of very short training with breaks .

OP
K

Kays4

Jun 7, 2022

As mentioned try playing either rain or thunderstorms sounds from YouTube etc. My guy Phoenix is immediately ready for bath time when he hears rain sounds.
That is very interesting and I would have NEVER thought of that! Thank you! It’s supposed to storm here today so maybe the real thing will work!

OP
K

Kays4

Jun 7, 2022
for bath a big shallow serving or casserole dish with 2 inches of water or less. Really splash in it with hand maybe have a faucet running in background the sound of moving water and tge splashing usually works like a charm.
I set mine on top of my cage.

This my current bath bowl
Post in thread 'Laura's Flock Thread' https://www.parrotforums.com/threads/lauras-flock-thread.93715/post-1000024
I have tried 2 dishes so far…a large ceramic bowl and a casserole dish. No luck so far, going to try the rain sounds. Looking for a flattop cage…. I think I found the one you posted!

OP
K

Kays4

Jun 7, 2022

Such a great idea, I’m going to try it!

OP
K

Kays4

Jun 7, 2022
This is a great target training video. Cover teaching target first, cover some common mistakes, covers tge importance of very short training with breaks .
Great video and so helpful, thank you! I have a stick………will be getting a clicker today!!

MayMaroa

Feb 13, 2022
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Parrots
2 female budgies i have a green named tofu she is 1 years old(she turned one years old in April) and i have a blue budgie named sky she is the younger one she is younger then tofu by a few days
Hello everyone!

I just recently adopted an IRN. I haven’t named him yet, he doesn’t seem to know his former name so we are working on a new one! He is approximately 14 months old and supposed to be DNA male. He has a faint gray line starting around the ring, not sure if this is something a female can have but his behavior appears male, from what I read.

He is not my first parrot but it’s been about 15 years since I’ve had one. He is definitely not a fan of hands/fingers so does not step up but after 2 days here he will get on my shoulder. He hasn’t bitten me yet, I am trying to avoid it at all cost because I know it will be hard form me to not react o_O. He did get a little “beaky” around my neck/ear so that kinda freaked me out but I stayed calm and he went back to his cage easily.

I believe I am his third home since leaving the breeder. I am actually ok with not having a “cuddly” bird. I think that is partly why I am his third home, and I know that is something most people want. I previously had an cuddly Umbrella Cockatoo and a Senegal but for me, having a side kick that doesn’t expect to be held all the time is perfect for me! His cage is in my bedroom, which is also where my computer is because I work from home. He is a talker so it might get interesting if I am on a conference call :LOL:.

He does desperately need a new cage though, his is old and a little wobbly and held together with zip ties in some places :oops:. It’s a dome top with a drop door. I like the style but feel like a playtop might be better. Anyone have any suggestions? Also, will it bother him if he goes from a black cage to a white one?

Also, any advice on getting him to bathe. I tried a squirt bottle, not a fan. Then I put a glass dish with water in it in the bottom of his cage but he never went near it lol. Not sure if he’s ever had one!!

Additionally, advice on target training or some way to work on step up to arm would be great. My previous birds had no issue with this so I am not familiar with that type of training and I must admit, I am slightly fearful lol so I need to get over that. He does take food/toys from my fingers so he can’t be that hand shy. The reason I am wanting him to be able to step to arm is I am planning on getting him a sleeping cage for the spare bedroom since I usually don’t go to bed until 9 or 10pm and get up around 6:30. Also, I’d like to have some play stands in other rooms so he can be wherever I am.

All in all his transition has been pretty good so far! He really loved the birds bread I made him yesterday and is a fantastic eater over all. Ive always found it enjoyable to make food and toys for parrots. I definitely want to be his last home where he can be loved and spoiled!

Thank you for reading!!
I have no idea and no experience with Indian ringnecks but I just came to reply that he is SO CUTE cause he IS!!! AWWWWWW I always love seeing new member's birds cause they are CUTE!!! and of course welcome

MayMaroa

Feb 13, 2022
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Parrots
2 female budgies i have a green named tofu she is 1 years old(she turned one years old in April) and i have a blue budgie named sky she is the younger one she is younger then tofu by a few days
Great video and so helpful, thank you! I have a stick………will be getting a clicker today!!
If you couldn't get one today you can use a pen.

Vampiric_Conure

May 16, 2022
Media
Albums
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Parrots
Charlie (M) - 23 yrs - Peach Front Conure
Redshift (M)-22yrs - normal Cockatiel
Moon (M) - 2 ys - wf pied cockatiel
Chara (F)- 1 yr - wf pied cockatiel
Just thought I'd pop in also, and say your baby is ADORABLE! Everyone's already given you some great advice, so I won't repeat anything, LOL!

OP
K

Kays4

Jun 7, 2022
I have no idea and no experience with Indian ringnecks but I just came to reply that he is SO CUTE cause he IS!!! AWWWWWW I always love seeing new member's birds cause they are CUTE!!! and of course welcome
Thank you!

Most Reactions

Latest posts