New IRN owner

MissP

Sep 2, 2022
Parrots
First time having an Indian ring neck- any advice appreciated
Hi,
I have had my IRN for 3 days which i know is quiet ealry. Skye is 6 months old. He is still very weary and not settled. Makes the occasional sound but donā€™t think heā€™s eating and drinking. Heā€™s opened his bowels well. Recent;y got him from a pet shop. any advice or tips

Akula00

Feb 2, 2022
Parrots
Indian Ringneck, Lovebird and Budgie + Finches
Hi,
I have had my IRN for 3 days which i know is quiet ealry. Skye is 6 months old. He is still very weary and not settled. Makes the occasional sound but donā€™t think heā€™s eating and drinking. Heā€™s opened his bowels well. Recent;y got him from a pet shop. any advice or tips
Well firstly, congratulations on getting yourself an IRN! They are beautiful, inquisitive, timid little creatures that are time consuming but also very rewarding.

My advice would be to wait and observe patiently. IRN's are notoriously hard to train and take a good amount of time to get settled, so I would just keep your distance, try not to stare much and talk to your new friend quietly and in a friendly manner. He will come round eventually. My own IRN, Chief didn't eat or drink in my presence for 2-3 weeks after I got him but do not worry he's almost certainly taking quick bites to eat and sips of water while you're gone.

In terms of general advice? Ensure he's on a varied diet of veg, a few fruits and pellets rather than seeds (although these make a nice treat for taming and praise along with millet) I hope this helps.

OP
M

MissP

Sep 2, 2022
Parrots
Well firstly, congratulations on getting yourself an IRN! They are beautiful, inquisitive, timid little creatures that are time consuming but also very rewarding.

My advice would be to wait and observe patiently. IRN's are notoriously hard to train and take a good amount of time to get settled, so I would just keep your distance, try not to stare much and talk to your new friend quietly and in a friendly manner. He will come round eventually. My own IRN, Chief didn't eat or drink in my presence for 2-3 weeks after I got him but do not worry he's almost certainly taking quick bites to eat and sips of water while you're gone.

In terms of general advice? Ensure he's on a varied diet of veg, a few fruits and pellets rather than seeds (although these make a nice treat for taming and praise along with millet) I hope this helps.

Honestly Thank you so much. Really appreciate this!

could you tell me more about the food? The shop only advised seeds. What are the other option dried fruits? ideally what fruits and the same with the veg please.

Thank you

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Welcome and be welcomed. Good luck with your IRN, as noted they can be difficult to tame, but yours is young so not as much. PLease go to our Nutrition sub-forum, there are many recipes for food and warnings of what in NOT ok for your new parrot.

All sorts of recipes

Akula00

Feb 2, 2022
Parrots

could you tell me more about the food? The shop only advised seeds. What are the other option dried fruits? ideally what fruits and the same with the veg please.

Thank you
Every bird is different but sure I can give some recommendations. My IRN loves:
- The Zupreem-brand pellets but any other reputable brand will do
- My parrot loves sweetcorn and peas especially but also banana. If you can get yours to eat broccoli it is extremely good for a bird
- Fruits and veg should ideally be fresh, but you can buy bird chop online which is a mix of many things.

OP
M

MissP

Sep 2, 2022
Parrots
Welcome and be welcomed. Good luck with your IRN, as noted they can be difficult to tame, but yours is young so not as much. PLease go to our Nutrition sub-forum, there are many recipes for food and warnings of what in NOT ok for your new parrot.

All sorts of recipes
Thank you so so much!

OP
M

MissP

Sep 2, 2022
Parrots
Every bird is different but sure I can give some recommendations. My IRN loves:
- The Zupreem-brand pellets but any other reputable brand will do
- My parrot loves sweetcorn and peas especially but also banana. If you can get yours to eat broccoli it is extremely good for a bird
- Fruits and veg should ideally be fresh, but you can buy bird chop online which is a mix of many things.
This is great! Thank you, he ate today whilst I was in the living room! And not as easily frightened as before. Definitely getting somewhere!

Akula00

Feb 2, 2022
Parrots
This is great! Thank you, he ate today whilst I was in the living room! And not as easily frightened as before. Definitely getting somewhere!
Baby steps :) It can often feel like one step forward and two steps back but even when it doesn't feel like it, you are bonding with your bird just by being around him.

OP
M

MissP

Sep 2, 2022
Parrots
Baby steps :) It can often feel like one step forward and two steps back but even when it doesn't feel like it, you are bonding with your bird just by being around him.

Thank you.

In terms of letting Skye out his cage, any advice as he is still quiet frightened and adjusting.

Akula00

Feb 2, 2022
Parrots
Thank you.

In terms of letting Skye out his cage, any advice as he is still quiet frightened and adjusting.
I wouldn't do it yet, only once he's settled and relaxed in your presence.

When you do? Stop all fans, close all windows, try and block up spaces behind furniture and when you need to get him back in his cage stick his favourite treat in there.

OP
M

MissP

Sep 2, 2022
Parrots
I wouldn't do it yet, only once he's settled and relaxed in your presence.

When you do? Stop all fans, close all windows, try and block up spaces behind furniture and when you need to get him back in his cage stick his favourite treat in there.
Okay, I definitely agree as I have no idea how I would get him back in.

Thank you so much, super helpful

Tammy14443

Apr 30, 2023
Parrots
IRN

Thank you
I too got my first IRN. But in my case, the parents pecked him until, had no feathers on his head.he is only 3 months old. Does any one else have ideas for me? Lot's luck with your little one too.

Most Reactions

Latest posts