New Lovebird Owner - Help?

Vleon

Apr 19, 2022
Parrots
Lovebird
Hi all ! This is my first bird that I’ve owned myself. I have experience with Macaws and a few parrots but all of family members.

This is Lilly, I just got her about 2-3 weeks ago. She’s about 6 months old. Initially she was spunky, very curious and loved being on my boyfriend and I. She wasn’t aggressive at all, she mostly would preen and fall asleep on us, with the occasionally harder than usual nip, but it was obviously her picking at something on our skin, never aggressive.

She is still all of these things, but she has started lunging at my our hands. We were able to pet her softly about 4-5 days into getting her and she seemed to love it. But now, anytime we try to give her pets she lunges to bite our fingers. She was on my shoulder today and I went to scratch my ear, and she lunged at my hand!

She’s adorable and I love her, but I don’t know how to stop her from doing this. I give her toys when she’s out to try and keep her entertained but she always ends up doing it again. When I got her from the previous owner she would literally grab her and kiss her all over her face, pet her and Lilly had no issue.

Any ideas? Does she need a playmate to keep her engaged? She has plenty of toys and space outside to be free, a big cage and is out atleast 8 hours a day.
E430FF00-CBDB-4182-B0B0-84E29003B144.jpeg

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Is she flighted? A good way to address biting too hard is called shunning, but works best with parrots that are clipped. If she bites too hard, place her immediately on a handy chair back or other neutral place. NOT the cage. Turn your back to her and totally ignore her for 1 minute. No eye contact no talking about her, nothing. Then you can see of she wants to come bac to you. Must be done every time the bite occurs and by every person.

A flighted parrot can just fly away from the shunning lesson - ie: no lesson.

Teddscau

Sep 25, 2015
Media
Ontario, Canada
Parrots
Budgies: Sunshine, Blanco, Azure; Peach-faced lovebirds: Rosie and Jaybird; YSA: Jasper (♀)
I know with my “tame” birds, most of them go through a biting phase, especially younger birds. They’ll bite the heck out of your fingers without any warning. It’s totally normal, but obviously you have to teach them not to do it. Just consistently do what wrench said, and eventually they’ll learn to be gentle.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I disagree with Wrench that clipping is needed for shunning to work. Mine are all flighted and shunning still works.

The best way to avoid bite is not to pressure force interactions, and read body language.

They can get over excited or wound up. Need a moment to calm down. Be careful that play with toys is actually play not attack defensive

Sometimes something can happen that makes them a little fearful of hands. Feeding lots of bribes by hand several times a day. Pay attention to body language , note what leads to bites

Burds don't always want to be petted. Some birds don't like hands coming towards them from above their head.

You might also contact your breeder and ask for tips and advice.

Last edited:

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Beautiful love bird! And welcome to forum

This us a great read, even cover some tips on bites

Also a good one

Teddscau

Sep 25, 2015
Media
Ontario, Canada
Parrots
Budgies: Sunshine, Blanco, Azure; Peach-faced lovebirds: Rosie and Jaybird; YSA: Jasper (♀)
Oh, missed the part about clipping. Yeah, I don’t clip my birds. Not necessary for training. It can make them feel vulnerable, especially with small birds like lovebirds. 99% of the time when they bite, it’s for a reason (they were startled, they felt threatened, they’re hungry, they’re sleepy, they’re cranky, they’re in pain, etc.). But sometimes (specifically with parrotlets) they’ll bite you because they‘re throwing a tantrum. My lovebird has only given me a “real” bite maybe once. Since your lovebird’s just a kid still, she might also be getting moody since she’s maturing.

OP
V

Vleon

Apr 19, 2022
Parrots
Lovebird
Is she flighted? A good way to address biting too hard is called shunning, but works best with parrots that are clipped. If she bites too hard, place her immediately on a handy chair back or other neutral place. NOT the cage. Turn your back to her and totally ignore her for 1 minute. No eye contact no talking about her, nothing. Then you can see of she wants to come bac to you. Must be done every time the bite occurs and by every person.

A flighted parrot can just fly away from the shunning lesson - ie: no lesson.
Thanks for you reply!

She is not clipped, so yes she can just fly away.

OP
V

Vleon

Apr 19, 2022
Parrots
Lovebird
I disagree with Wrench that clipping is needed for shunning to work. Mine are all flighted and shunning still works.

The best way to avoid bite is not to pressure force interactions, and read body language.

They can get over excited or wound up. Need a moment to calm down. Be careful that play with toys is actually play not attack defensive

Sometimes something can happen that makes them a little fearful of hands. Feeding lots of bribes by hand several times a day. Pay attention to body language , note what leads to bites

Burds don't always want to be petted. Some birds don't like hands coming towards them from above their head.

You might also contact your breeder and ask for tips and advice.
Thanks for your reply!

Is there a way you can distinguish the aggressiveness from play? When I see her playing she does look aggressive to me haha, but I'm not 100% sure.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I think play is always heightened emotions. If mine are picking something up or flinging it around i don't touch them.
Try spending time together with no toys abd see how it goes. Just talk and hand out treats. When they take treats nice, you can hold on to for a second and try stroking beak.

Or Instead to calmer stuff like foraging together. Take a seed treat, or piece of their food snd cover partially with a pice of paper ...work up to more elaborate

Most Reactions

Latest posts