New Lovebird owner - help

kattastorphy

Jun 17, 2023
Parrots
Lovebird
Hello everyone! My grandma had a lovebird growing up that absolutely loved her. I love the songs and was fascinated. So finally went a bought a baby lovebird hatched Christmas Eve! Anyways, me and Zazu have been bonding and heā€™s even repeating my whistles. He was hand raised but has always went for my fingers and did not like them coming near him. He would go on my shoulder and curl up but not near my hands. We have been building trust and he know steps up to my finger and does not go for the ā€œattack.ā€ He now lets me get my other hand close to him with food of course and we are target training. However, I am now at a loss on the next steps to get pets in. He has so many pin feathers for over a month and I want to help, but he moves away or opens his beak in warning. How can I get to the next step in bonding? Side note: he will bite me if I do not give treats and is an aggressive eater. He pecks his bowl or his plate with chop very hard when eating and target training at well. Instead of touching itā€™s a fast hard touch and sometimes back to back. Anyways to curb this as well or is it natural?

Picture of my little guy singing to me while I worked ā¤ļø

Attachments

• 531CDCAC-EA66-4FC4-BB5E-84A397F04A30.jpeg
    531CDCAC-EA66-4FC4-BB5E-84A397F04A30.jpeg
    177 KB · Views: 35

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Welcome to the forums!

It sounds like you love your little guy a lot! šŸ˜

I donā€™t mean to be discouraging and Iā€™m not saying itā€™s not possible, but not all birds will accept being pet.

You could try offering him a treat with your finger extended out to where he has to put his head under your finger in order to get the treat.

OP
K

kattastorphy

Jun 17, 2023
Parrots
Lovebird
Welcome to the forums!

It sounds like you love your little guy a lot! šŸ˜

I donā€™t mean to be discouraging and Iā€™m not saying itā€™s not possible, but not all birds will accept being pet.

You could try offering him a treat with your finger extended out to where he has to put his head under your finger in order to get the treat.
I will try that as well. I just had him take the treat with my hand touching the side of him so he had to lean next to my hand. He tried only once to get my hand, told him no and took the treat away for a few seconds. He did not try again, the treat was more tempting than fingers lol

Is there a way to help with the pin feathers? They have been on him for a month or so.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 25
  • 03610DB9-F967-49C2-9232-8C9807E5EB33.jpeg
    03610DB9-F967-49C2-9232-8C9807E5EB33.jpeg
    68.5 KB · Views: 26

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
I will try that as well. I just had him take the treat with my hand touching the side of him so he had to lean next to my hand. He tried only once to get my hand, told him no and took the treat away for a few seconds. He did not try again, the treat was more tempting than fingers lol

Is there a way to help with the pin feathers? They have been on him for a month or so.
How often does he bathe? A bath daily can help.
Also, bringing him into the bathroom when itā€™s steamy from the shower running will help.

Most Reactions

Latest posts