New Lovebird

Remington

Mar 22, 2016
Florida
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure
Masked Lovebird
Hi everyone. I'm new to this forum as I just got my first lovebird. He is two months old and I have had him since Saturday. I noticed he has been sleeping a lot, most of the day. He occasionally moves to eat or preen himself, but not much. He does have plenty of room and toys.

I'm not sure what is normal because I've never had a bird this young! I assume he should be at least a bit more active? Anyone know if this is something I should be concerned about?

OOwl

Oct 12, 2010
Texas
Parrots
Rosebreasted Cockatoo, Congo Grey, MRH Amazon, Lovebird
That's still really young for a baby lovebird to go home. They sometimes regress when they go to their new home and don't eat well and the rehoming stress will bring out anything latent illness or makes them really vulnerable to any new germs in their environment. Keep a really close eye out on him and keep millet in front of him constantly (clip next to where he is perched) until you see him eating his regular diet. Try warm baked sweet potato from your fingers. If in doubt, take him to a vet before he goes downhill. It can happen quicker than you would think. Good luck and please report back. Now that we know, we will worry with you.

Last edited:
OP
R

Remington

Mar 22, 2016
Florida
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure
Masked Lovebird
He is doing better. He is eating regularly and is becoming slightly more active. He is very scared of hands and will not step up even for treats! However he is fine with sitting on a shoulder? I'm not sure what to do about this..

I am also planning to take him to the vet for a regular checkup soon, so hopefully everything turns up okay.

Most Reactions

Latest posts