New lovebird

Mariacap3

Sep 26, 2021
Parrots
Lovebird
Hey everyone, just got my first lovebird a week ago and it’s been an interesting first week. After the first 3 days I started putting my hand near the cage and now I have started putting it in the cage being careful not to make any sudden movements talking in soothing tones and always playing music. He responds to music a lot now and loves to sing away. He does not like my hand but he doesn’t try to bite me or run away he just stays in one spot most of the time when my hand is in the cage. I bought him at a bird store with lots of other birds around. Not sure if that was the best choice but I didn’t realize til after I bought him that a breeder would be better. Anyhow, I’m just looking for beginner advice, dos and donts etc…thanks guys!!

Attachments

• 934736F2-FAC6-44C7-9E75-3A89B2DF3D9B.jpeg
    934736F2-FAC6-44C7-9E75-3A89B2DF3D9B.jpeg
    234.3 KB · Views: 76

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Welcome to the forum!
It sounds like you are taking it slow, which is perfect:) Your baby is beautiful, what's his name?

Here is a link with some wonderful info that may help:

Tips for Bonding and Building Trust

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Welcome to the Forums to you and your gorgeous lovie - I can think of no better name for a darling little spinach lover than Popeye! :)

Building trust does take time, little by little, sometimes weeks or months, but I think you are already well on the road to establishing a great relationship. Glad to have you aboard!

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
Congratulations!

I wish you a long and devoted companionship.

And I'm glad you found us. Please keep sharing your journey.

9lhIlM0.jpg

Most Reactions

Latest posts