New lovebirds need taming!

gary.l.fletcher

Oct 8, 2020
So I just received my two new adult male blue masked lovebirds. They are 1.5 and 1 years old each and are untrained/untamed. I plan on leaving them be for the next weekish to adjust to their new environment but after that I want to start working on taming them. I know it’s going to take time and I’m willing to put in the effort. They are caged together. What’s the best method to follow to tame them? Obviously at some point I’d like them to be hand tame, cuddle bugs. Thanks in advance for any advice.

IMG_0868.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pterry97

Aug 26, 2020
UK
Hi, I'd definitnely recommend working with them from day 1 instead of leaving them for a week, you should simply act normal and let them experience exactly what is expected and normal in the household. It's best to talk to and poke in and out of the cage as regularly as you think you expect to do in the future, otherwise if you leave them for a while and then poke in you've essentially created a safety bubble in the cage that you then are a cause for breaking (and therefore risk panicking the birds long term). If you're in and out from day 1 however, as they begin to settle they will associate your intrusions as normal.

I definitely recommend checking out BirdTrick's videos on youtube for in depth how-to's on introducing new birds to the home, and how to get them used to you quickly. Here's an example of one, but you should be able to find more specific videos tailored to your questions:
[ame="https://youtu.be/yj2oiGBAbLg"]https://youtu.be/yj2oiGBAbLg[/ame]

OP
G

gary.l.fletcher

Oct 8, 2020
Awesome, I’ll take a look at the videos and I’ll poke around in the cage a few times as well!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
So beautiful, such a nice roomy cage! I agree with above too, those you tube vuds are great and they understand burds
Congratulations

KitKatPlus

Sep 19, 2020
Santa Cruz, CA
Parrots
Caesar the tiel (foster)
COULD NOT AGREE MORE with pterry97. The biggest mistake people make is to wait. ALWAYS start with the bird integrated in your daily routine on day 1 - the first day is the one chance you have to show the bird what they're experience will be like in your home. Never put the bird directly in the cage when you get it, instead bring them out, eat with them, interact with them. I think one of the biggest and most detrimental myths about birds is that you need to let them "settle in", all that does is promote fear of humans. I wish you the best of luck with your new birdies!!

Last edited:

Most Reactions