New Macaw Questions

Twerk56

Nov 1, 2022
Parrots
Hybrid Macaw
Hello, I'm new here. I was given a 32 year old Macaw, whose parents had to move to a place they couldn't keep him. I grew up with a Macaw from Colombia, so have a small experience. Is there a certain temperature that I should keep our house at? Like, in the winter, how cold is too cold for them? I'm so happy to have found this forum, as have been looking for a while for a good book on Macaws. I'm loving this bird! He is such a character. And, a separate question would be, is he to old to learn new words?

LeeC

Jun 5, 2019
Media
Harrisburg, PA
Parrots
Timneh: Grady;
Senegal: Charlie;
Sun Conure: Peaches (deceased)
Senegal: Georgia
Peach-fronted Conure: Milton (foster)
Brown-throated Conure: Pumpkin (foster)
Senegal: Fletcher
Senegal: Ivy
Hello, @Twerk56. Congratulations on your Macaw. Because of my parrots, I keep my house at 70° F (21° C) in the winter, which also makes it necessary to run some humidifiers, because the winter air is too dry for parrots.

This is from a reputable avian veterinarian:
So first of all, how do you make it cozier for the winter? Our psittacines are tropical by nature but that does not mean that you need to keep your living area at 90 degrees Fahrenheit! Most birds, including our pet birds, are able to adapt to cooler environments but they cannot handle quick changes in temperature. So while you dial down your temperature to the upper 60s to low 70s, it is important to try to keep cold drafts near the cage to a minimum.

In that article, she also mentions some winter foods that are important, too, such as mango.

I am curious: The Macaw was from Columbia or you grew up in Columbia? It is great to hear that you are loving your Macaw. I think he can always learn new words and sounds at any age.

OP
T

Twerk56

Nov 1, 2022
Parrots
Hybrid Macaw
Hello, @Twerk56. Congratulations on your Macaw. Because of my parrots, I keep my house at 70° F (21° C) in the winter, which also makes it necessary to run some humidifiers, because the winter air is too dry for parrots.

This is from a reputable avian veterinarian:

In that article, she also mentions some winter foods that are important, too, such as mango.

I am curious: The Macaw was from Columbia or you grew up in Columbia? It is great to hear that you are loving your Macaw. I think he can always learn new words and sounds at any age.

OP
T

Twerk56

Nov 1, 2022
Parrots
Hybrid Macaw
Hello, And thank you for your quick response! 70 is VERY doable! A little cool! So, I think Frankie
will be comfortable at 72 over night! I should probably run a humidifier though, as I'm in Arizona.

My Mom visited a friend of hers in Colombia, and they had several Macaws, and my Mom fell in love with Rosita, and her friend gave her to her, and Mom was able to bring her home to Miami! That was many years ago. That bird was bilingual, and a real character as they all are!
I think Frankie might like mango. He doesn't like bananas! Guess I'll try mango again. I'm always trying new things on him. It doesn't look like he likes radishes! But, loves zuccini, both the green and yellow!
Thanks again!

LeeC

Jun 5, 2019
Media
Harrisburg, PA
Parrots
Timneh: Grady;
Senegal: Charlie;
Sun Conure: Peaches (deceased)
Senegal: Georgia
Peach-fronted Conure: Milton (foster)
Brown-throated Conure: Pumpkin (foster)
Senegal: Fletcher
Senegal: Ivy
Hello, And thank you for your quick response! 70 is VERY doable! A little cool! So, I think Frankie
will be comfortable at 72 over night! I should probably run a humidifier though, as I'm in Arizona.

My Mom visited a friend of hers in Colombia, and they had several Macaws, and my Mom fell in love with Rosita, and her friend gave her to her, and Mom was able to bring her home to Miami! That was many years ago. That bird was bilingual, and a real character as they all are!
I think Frankie might like mango. He doesn't like bananas! Guess I'll try mango again. I'm always trying new things on him. It doesn't look like he likes radishes! But, loves zuccini, both the green and yellow!
Thanks again!
I lived in Phoenix for a year, while going to technical school. I hated to leave. I had actually moved there from Orlando, where the school had their other campus. (I transferred.) I wish I lived in either of those states right now. :]

It sounds as though Frankie is getting some "good eats". (That was a great TV show on Food Network.)

Does Frankie fly? In your house? My Timneh is "Big Bird" here. :] I can only imagine a big, beautiful Macaw flying indoors. They probably only get a few flaps before having to turn, huh?

Most Reactions

Latest posts