Dec 1, 2021
Parrots
1 Hahn maccaw
1 Amazon
1 Green cheek Conure
2 Cockaeils
2 Lovebirds and 2 Buggies, Canaries and Finches
Hi Everyone,

I am a 65 years old single male Social Worker and addiction couselor currently living since more than 25 years in Canada and since 12 years now in North Canada above the 60th paralel, as my nickname make it clear I have some Roma (gypsy it still a slur for me) ethnicity within me. To be specific I am Zuthane (part Roma and Jew). I have a unique and very different background, culture and life than most people have. I lost most of my families in the extermination camps except my Aushwitz survivor's grandmother, became orphan at the age of 1-2, adopt by abusive far distant relatives at the age of 4-5 and start to live on the streets in several European countries at the age of 13. Then I travel the world, vising more than 45-47 counries in my life working in most of them and meeting incredible people and celebrities from joan Baez and Bob Dylan, John Lenon, Freddy Mercury, and the actual Dalai Lama, among many others. I have a full life and expect to live long!
I always have some animals living with me even when I was traveling spiders, scorpions, cats, fishes and above all parrots and birds.

Living in an isolated and remoted place can be challenging as there is not many parrot owners around me, and no avian vet here for sure. So I plan to use that forum to create some contacts with other owners and as support when it will be necessary.

Curently in my life I have 1 hahn Macaw, 1 Geen Cheek Conure, 2 Cockateils, 2 lovebirds, 2 canaries, buggis, finches, 2 spiders, 4 lizards, 1 aquatic turtle, 1 hamster, 1 frog, 2 huge silver dollars fishes several beta fishes and other fishes as well. Since Yesterday I have a new member add to my flock ...a five years old Amazon Parrot .
Even if he came from an owner that I know and who have to leave the country. I quarantine him in another room in my house for the moment.
The question will be when and how to introduce him to my other parrots especiallly my already living together since 2 years hahn Macaw and Green cheek connure. ( cuddling, eating and sleeping together)
Any tips as I was planning to put their cages first close then have a turn over by letting one or two of them free. Then supervising them during the time of their interactions.
An important information about me, even if I had previous parrots and birds in the past this is my first Amazon parrot.

Thank you anyone and everyone for any tips and information.
Alsio he previous owner was feeding him mainly only with pellets and other dry food. I do the same thing than for my other parrots, I cook grains, beans and veggies together, I chopped fresh veggies as well hopefully that he will accept my cooking!

Romano

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Hello and welcome!
Such interesting life, and adventure.

There are different thoughts on quarantine, I do a month. Only time I didn't was when I took in an escape budgie rescue, and he brought in chlamydia and made everyone sick, unfortunately I still get relapses in my flock....ugh...tho we all survived.

I ve done a lot of introduction as my flock expanded. What worked best for me was setting out a big spread out group feed in a neutral location. Getting each bird in a good calm mood and setting them up spaced out . I use envelope to put tween burds if they look like would charge each other and put the bad burd up to try again later. Its important to let no contact or aggressive display or fights happen the first few times they meet. First impressions count. Id have one out and feed treats and walk around to see other caged birds and feed treats. Trying for positive associations.

Do not ever let your green cheek land on your caged Amazon, as Amazon will rip leg or toes off.
Be so careful GCC don't back down and can get hurt

You will get plenty of Amazon people help you with your Amazon. :)

Glad you joined, you will have wonderful tips and advice for all here as well.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome Romano, thanks for sharing an incredibly unique history of tenacity and survival. We're glad you're here and deeply respect your reverence for a variety of creatures!!

Trust your instincts, Amazons are quite different from your other avians. One month quarantine ought be sufficient, followed by careful introduction on neutral territory. Two highly informative views on Amazons:

Most Reactions

Latest posts