New member from Bahrain 🇧🇭

TimX

Jan 26, 2021
Hello fellow Parroters ( if there is such a word ),

[english is not my first language]

I am new to the parrot world and it is my first experience ever with these beautiful creatures,

i am from Bahrain most known for its Formula 1 circuit and passion for motorsport,

I never thought before about owning a parrot due to their sizes and my only experience was with small birds but that changed immediately when i was searching for a bird to buy and saw the absolutely stunning range of colors the sun conure have, immediately love from the first sight,

by the way i never heard sun conure or the family of conure before thats how i am far from parrot world and their names,

I don’t know if it is he or she and i hope i can find how can we know that here on this forum, it is almost 4 months old and the seller said that everything is fine with the bird but one thing u have to work on, which is teaching the bird how to stand on your hand, it was really afraid of standing on hands or grabbing which I thought after i took it to the home that it maybe a mistake to buy it and how would i train it to do that without any experience, well after 40 mins it was on my hand happy and without any fear from me, I don’t know if it was pure luck to train it to do that in short time or they are super smart birds and fast learner,

The difference between it and the other type of birds i had is that with this one i feel that you are dealing with something that have feelings and intelligence, i know most animals have this side but as a bird i think parrots are truly special.

will post more about my experience with it once i spend more time with it:orange:.

Thanks.

25745d1611726184-new-member-bahrain-9ce8a573-b034-4af4-8f59-a8018ff92295.jpg

25746d1611726224-new-member-bahrain-c8828998-2e50-4694-a839-27c6306b0eba.jpg

25747d1611726268-new-member-bahrain-e7e6ff7e-9bb2-4677-9db0-7984c0e66261.jpg

25Fdcgs.jpg

Attachments

• 9CE8A573-B034-4AF4-8F59-A8018FF92295.jpg
    9CE8A573-B034-4AF4-8F59-A8018FF92295.jpg
    199.8 KB · Views: 147
  • C8828998-2E50-4694-A839-27C6306B0EBA.jpg
    C8828998-2E50-4694-A839-27C6306B0EBA.jpg
    189.9 KB · Views: 151
  • E7E6FF7E-9BB2-4677-9DB0-7984C0E66261.jpg
    E7E6FF7E-9BB2-4677-9DB0-7984C0E66261.jpg
    194.9 KB · Views: 146
  • 0932AFD8-1FA6-48B9-9259-8E9045250204.jpg
    0932AFD8-1FA6-48B9-9259-8E9045250204.jpg
    195.7 KB · Views: 112
Last edited by a moderator:

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome to you and your stunningly beautiful conure! Your English is excellent, won't have any difficulty communicating! "Parroter" is a nicely descriptive word, very similar to "parront" in lieu of "parent."

What type of foods do you offer? Four months is young but may have been freshly weaned. Forty minutes to hand-train is excellent, suggesting a well adjusted bird receptive to you, and good technique! Some parrots may be sexed by physical characteristics, unsure if accurate with conures. Best method is laboratory DNA test from a feather.

Please know transitioning to a new home takes at least one month, perhaps longer depending on background. I'll share a few links from the forum to help you on the way to bonding with your baby!
http://www.parrotforums.com/general-parrot-information/49144-tips-bonding-building-trust.html
http://www.parrotforums.com/general-parrot-information/12857-top-10-hazards-companion-birds.html
http://www.parrotforums.com/training/60435-clicker-target-training.html
http://www.parrotforums.com/parrot-...7-converting-parrots-healthier-diet-tips.html

Feel free to ask questions and read the many "sticky" threads throughout the forums.

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
Welcome! Something to grasp, a parrot is absolutely a companion, not a pet!
Keeping this in mind will help the two of you as your relationship matures!

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Welcome and be welcomed. Your best course of action is to read, read read from trusted sources ( there is a lot of garbage, mis-information and bad advice out there on the Web, so read from trusted sources). THis forum is one of , if not the, best sources of info on parrots. In addition to the above reading assignments, go to the AMazon sub forum, and read the "I Love Amazons" sticky at the top, much of the info there is applicable to ALL parrots. When you read, do it sitting close by your sun conure and read out loud in a nice pleasing voice. Parrots love to be read to and he will learn your voice.

And Yes, parrots ARE very smart and have feelings that can be hurt, they can hold grudges and have a favorite person.

Stick around and become a part of our community, which is truly world wide!

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Welcome to the forum! I've learned much , many things I would never have thought of here.

Congratulations on your beautiful new sun conure. Parrots are different all other birds as primates are different from all other animals!!
They are as intelligent as up to a five year old child, tho important to remember they think differently.

Diet is important fir health. Offering a wide variety of parrot safe vegetables and leafy lettuces, light on fruits, cooked egg, cooked legumes, cooked lentils, cooked quinoa, offer a few if these daily in addition to tge seed and pellets really makes a healthy bird.

It's a very good idea to get a gram kitchen scale, and start weighing your bird weekly. First thing in the morning is best. Because birds evolved to hide being sick, wright loss is often your first sign that they are sick.

This us a great link to parrot behavior, and as you go down the article cover bites, ( which are going to happen) , and screaming ect
https://lafeber.com/pet-birds/bird-behavior/

OP
T

TimX

Jan 26, 2021
Welcome to you and your stunningly beautiful conure! Your English is excellent, won't have any difficulty communicating! "Parroter" is a nicely descriptive word, very similar to "parront" in lieu of "parent."

What type of foods do you offer? Four months is young but may have been freshly weaned. Forty minutes to hand-train is excellent, suggesting a well adjusted bird receptive to you, and good technique! Some parrots may be sexed by physical characteristics, unsure if accurate with conures. Best method is laboratory DNA test from a feather.

Please know transitioning to a new home takes at least one month, perhaps longer depending on background. I'll share a few links from the forum to help you on the way to bonding with your baby!
http://www.parrotforums.com/general-parrot-information/49144-tips-bonding-building-trust.html
http://www.parrotforums.com/general-parrot-information/12857-top-10-hazards-companion-birds.html
http://www.parrotforums.com/training/60435-clicker-target-training.html
http://www.parrotforums.com/parrot-...7-converting-parrots-healthier-diet-tips.html

Feel free to ask questions and read the many "sticky" threads throughout the forums.

Thanks a lot for this warm welcoming really appreciate your words and advices, and really glad that you found my English great, one of the reasons I participate in these forums is to improve my language.

I am not sure that i have the technique since i am really a beginner when it comes to parrots, but that absolutely great start, as for the food i gave it so far banana, dates, parrot food from the super market and sunflower seed, i will look at the links you mentioned for sure, appreciate the help with that.

I didn’t have an idea that we can do DNA test, any idea how much it would cost ?

Thanks.

OP
T

TimX

Jan 26, 2021
Welcome! Something to grasp, a parrot is absolutely a companion, not a pet!
Keeping this in mind will help the two of you as your relationship matures!

Thanks for the welcoming and that was the word i was trying to describe it with a (companion), definitely not an animal u get and leave it as decoration.

OP
T

TimX

Jan 26, 2021
Welcome and be welcomed. Your best course of action is to read, read read from trusted sources ( there is a lot of garbage, mis-information and bad advice out there on the Web, so read from trusted sources). THis forum is one of , if not the, best sources of info on parrots. In addition to the above reading assignments, go to the AMazon sub forum, and read the "I Love Amazons" sticky at the top, much of the info there is applicable to ALL parrots. When you read, do it sitting close by your sun conure and read out loud in a nice pleasing voice. Parrots love to be read to and he will learn your voice.

And Yes, parrots ARE very smart and have feelings that can be hurt, they can hold grudges and have a favorite person.

Stick around and become a part of our community, which is truly world wide!

Thanks a lot for the warm welcoming, really appreciate your feedback,
Reading is what i am doing since i got the bird, never read that much about birds in my entire life lol,
And definitely gonna read read “ i love amazons “, they are way smarter than I thought, couldn’t imagine such a tiny brain can do what these birds do.

Gonna spend time to know it better and post more for sure.

Thanks.

OP
T

TimX

Jan 26, 2021
Welcome to the forum! I've learned much , many things I would never have thought of here.

Congratulations on your beautiful new sun conure. Parrots are different all other birds as primates are different from all other animals!!
They are as intelligent as up to a five year old child, tho important to remember they think differently.

Diet is important fir health. Offering a wide variety of parrot safe vegetables and leafy lettuces, light on fruits, cooked egg, cooked legumes, cooked lentils, cooked quinoa, offer a few if these daily in addition to tge seed and pellets really makes a healthy bird.

It's a very good idea to get a gram kitchen scale, and start weighing your bird weekly. First thing in the morning is best. Because birds evolved to hide being sick, wright loss is often your first sign that they are sick.

This us a great link to parrot behavior, and as you go down the article cover bites, ( which are going to happen) , and screaming ect
https://lafeber.com/pet-birds/bird-behavior/

Thanks a lot for your words and welcoming, absolutely beautiful bird, almost a baby with wings and LOUD voice lol, i will try the food scale method never read that anywhere but great idea indeed to make sure it is healthy and well.

The diet is what i am trying to improve now and doing my best to give it the best mix i can get and find, didnt know that birds eat bird to be honest 😮

Will read the article for sure since it says bites, damn do they really have to bite u sooner or later ? 😬

Much appreciated.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Timx
Baby birds are pretty willing to let you make mistakes, an adult bird is going to correct you. Really building trust with your bird now, and socializing them with people pats off. But only under your supervision and support abd paying attention to your parrots body language. What I have done and what other members recommend, is a pass the bird. Yiu have the bird step to another person and they give a small treat usually something a safflower seed works well. Then you hsve the parrot come back to you. All except my newest and pandemic times parrot, will step from me to anyone, take a treat, a kiss on top of their head and back to me. 2 will let other people pet their head if they are in the mood or snuggle on their shoulders. 1 will only do the step up and kiss, won't let anyone else touch her. They are individuals, so I don't expect them to let other people pet them st all. But I do expect them to step up and be polite to a person. Use the same phrase abd same praise words. The more you use the same words and phrases, the more they understand, and know what to expect.

This is such a great article I share it all the time! Your parrot does not have to be stressed for this to be beneficial. I don't agree with everything, like I hate clickers, but I do shape behavior, I just say "good birdie " as the bridge instead of clicking. Its just great at giving you an idea how parrot minds work.
https://lafeber.com/pet-birds/stress-reduction-for-parrot-companions/

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.

Most Reactions

Latest posts