New Member from California

Taotians

Apr 20, 2021
California
Parrots
Two Lovebirds
Hello Everyone!

This is my first attempt at posting to a forum so please forgive for any mistakes. I am a new owner of two lovely Lovebirds. I figured why not join a community with people who might have some insight into birds.

Any who, I wanted to inquire about a certain behavior I just started noticing today. One of the lovebirds (let’s call them grey) seems to exhibit a sort of jealousy or slight aggression to the other bird (let’s call them blu) when it comes to the toys I have provided them. I’ve looked online and couldn’t find a direct answer as to why this might be a thing so I figured this would be a good place to start. When I first got them a week and some days ago they were seemingly peaceful with each other and would bundle up next to each other with no issue. Today they seemed a little distant and Blue seems to try to stay away from Grey. Whenever Grey gets close to Blu they begin to what looks like try to preen Blu but then it turns into a flustered Blu who chirps and flys away.

Would love to see if anyone has experienced this before and what it might mean. Some additional info I have in regards to the birds is that they are approximately 6-8 months old and have been housed together before I received them. They are both tamed and were hand fed. As for their sex I unfortunately do not know, but am hoping to visit vet soon just since they are a new addition to the family.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Congratulations on your love burds@ welcome to the forum!

I dont hsve experience with love birds.

Often parrots need a larger cage than what we are first led to believe . A larger cage allows for birds to move away. And better access to multiples perch toys and feed dishes.

A good behavior article
https://lafeber.com/pet-birds/bird-behavior/

Last edited:

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome to you and your pair of lovebirds!

I don't have lovebird experience but many members do. If you don't get targeted answers here, consider starting another thread in the Lovebird Forum. If you do, please change the post just a bit to avoid prohibited double posting. Or I can move this entire thread to that forum. Totally your choice, and if you wish to relocate drop me a PM!

Most Reactions

Latest posts