New member from Montana !!!!

Reef Aquarist

Dec 31, 2021
Libby, Montana
Parrots
None yet
Thought I’d introduce myself. I’m excited about this forum and although I have no pet birds now I’m moving into a new house in 6 weeks where I’m thinking about having parrots. I have a major red flag up with this plan in that my mother, who lives next door to me in the other house on our family owned ranch has two cats. The cats will invariably get into my house occasionally. They can frighten my birds if not kill them. I have very little experience keeping parrots although I had a pair of lovebirds 25 years ago for a few short months before I moved into an apartment where the landlord wouldn’t allow pets. I sadly was forced to give them to a new home. Interesting things to know about me is that I’m a rancher who has been divorced for 14 years. I have a 20 year old son who is attending college in Chicago. I also keep reef aquariums.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Welcome to you! Glad you found us!
Parrots are wonderful amazing creatures.
They are very messy, they do have special considerations for their safety, their mental and emotional needs. And they hide being sick unlike any other creatures. To help I highly recommend weekly weight checks a digital kitchen scale work great for this , 3% or more body mass lost seek avian veterinarian as most sick burds drop weight. Another tool is to become a poop watcher, every day. Poops can look different but you will learn yours normal, less frequent poops or less fecal matter can indicate they are eating less, changes in the color liquid part can point to infection, and so on. Unfortunately they usually are excellent at faking activities and behavior to appear normal. By the time you get a fluffed burd, or sleeping a lot or other sick burd symptoms they can be 24 hours from death. Its still possible to save them with immediate within hours veterinarian care, support warmth, support food, but you have to treat this as an emergency situation.
I share that so you are prepared.

OP
Reef Aquarist

Reef Aquarist

Dec 31, 2021
Libby, Montana
Parrots
None yet
Welcome to you! Glad you found us!
Parrots are wonderful amazing creatures.
They are very messy, they do have special considerations for their safety, their mental and emotional needs. And they hide being sick unlike any other creatures. To help I highly recommend weekly weight checks a digital kitchen scale work great for this , 3% or more body mass lost seek avian veterinarian as most sick burds drop weight. Another tool is to become a poop watcher, every day. Poops can look different but you will learn yours normal, less frequent poops or less fecal matter can indicate they are eating less, changes in the color liquid part can point to infection, and so on. Unfortunately they usually are excellent at faking activities and behavior to appear normal. By the time you get a fluffed burd, or sleeping a lot or other sick burd symptoms they can be 24 hours from death. Its still possible to save them with immediate within hours veterinarian care, support warmth, support food, but you have to treat this as an emergency situation.
I share that so you are prepared.
@Laurasea thank you for the welcome and information! Especially thanks for the weighing tip! There is so much to learn. What species of bird do you have?

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month πŸ†
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
Hello, Big Sky!

Welcome.

I like your style... planning, thinking, reaching out before acting. I'm glad you're here. There is endless education and camaraderie. Yes, you DO have a big red flag, but if you can RANCH, maybe you can find a way to PARRONT. As you have already imagined, a mis-step can result in a horror you'll never forget.
Good luck. Stay with us!

9lhIlM0.jpg

OP
Reef Aquarist

Reef Aquarist

Dec 31, 2021
Libby, Montana
Parrots
None yet
Hello, Big Sky!

Welcome.

I like your style... planning, thinking, reaching out before acting. I'm glad you're here. There is endless education and camaraderie. Yes, you DO have a big red flag, but if you can RANCH, maybe you can find a way to PARRONT. As you have already imagined, a mis-step can result in a horror you'll never forget.
Good luck. Stay with us!

9lhIlM0.jpg
Hello @GaleriaGila thanks for the warm welcome and comments! If I get parrot(s), I will definitely have to keep the cats out. One is strictly an outdoor cat and and keeps to the barn although he is not feral so he gets sneaky sometimes and gets in. However the other one is my baby and I would miss her at my own house but would be able to visit her often as I’ll be over at my parents’ for dinner and help them with household chores since they are elderly. Blackie sticks to the confines of mom and dad’s and we call her the city cat. ;-)

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome, thanks so much for joining! Deep respect for researching before impulse decision. It is possible to safeguard parrots from cats with strict protocols and household safeguards, particularly with cooperation from all who live in your sphere of influence.

OP
Reef Aquarist

Reef Aquarist

Dec 31, 2021
Libby, Montana
Parrots
None yet
I started with a GGC then took in those that need a home, Quakers and budgies. I wish I could take in more, as so many parrots get rehomed. But I'm feeling pretty full up at 7. We call that MBS ( multiple bird syndrome)
Hi @Laurasea I’m not familiar with the acronym GGC, could you clarify? Wow 7 birds is a lot!

OP
Reef Aquarist

Reef Aquarist

Dec 31, 2021
Libby, Montana
Parrots
None yet
Welcome, thanks so much for joining! Deep respect for researching before impulse decision. It is possible to safeguard parrots from cats with strict protocols and household safeguards, particularly with cooperation from all who live in your sphere of influence.
Thank you @Scott for the welcome and yes the cats will definitely have boundaries. I could limit their presence to the porch only.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Ha it kind of snowballed. I had practice with one GCC ( green cheek conure) for 10 years, then added a second so had 2 for 7 more years....and did medical fosters during that time.
When my first love passed, my remaining GCC was beyond grief, as I , so I git my first quaker. Then shortly found a very mistreated quaker I had to save, then someone gave me 2 budgies, then a member needed to rehome a quaker, then I was called to rescue an escaped budgie.......I always say there is room for one more I can make it work. And I have. My flock is happy I love them all, but I hope we are complete! If a parrot in need found me I'm sure I'd have difficulty turning away, but I'm not looking !!! ( I do have and elderly with health issues neighbor, if something was to happen I will be taking the cockatiel , but hopefully he, and I as well have many more happy years left),

Many regular folks re home their parrots on Craigslist, they are not all scammers, its one of the few ways people with parrots can find a second home. Often they just didn't understand how demanding parrots are , or situations in life happen, I consider them rescues tho you will have to pay for them, but they desperately need good people. Some may have behavior issues from not getting the attention, space , diet exc.. and some are well loved and cared for but can't be kept. So I hope you consider a second hand parrot there are soooooo many needing a new home.
I worked with the medical fosters that were taken from bad homes or given up so I fostered the ones about to die ( none did! ) starved, mutilating, injured, plus behavior issues like screaming and biting . They bloomed and responded so well. So I have complete faith those can become loving companions . But that is a big challenge for those new to parrots. Most tho are just unwanted, or owners have to heartbreaking find a new home for them. So don't be afraid to give a look and consideration.

And we say let the parrot choose you. Thsts makes it easier the parrits know best! You can tell they choose you, because they express interest, they look at you, they come near you, and best if all if they step up for you . Tho I took the rehomes without ever meeting before, and Penny was a screaming, lunging, biting mess when I found her. And she is the sweetest girl now!

Last edited:
OP
Reef Aquarist

Reef Aquarist

Dec 31, 2021
Libby, Montana
Parrots
None yet
Ha it kind of snowballed. I had practice with one GCC ( green cheek conure) for 10 years, then added a second so had 2 for 7 more years....and did medical fosters during that time.
When my first love passed, my remaining GCC was beyond grief, as I , so I git my first quaker. Then shortly found a very mistreated quaker I had to save, then someone gave me 2 budgies, then a member needed to rehome a quaker, then I was called to rescue an escaped budgie.......I always say there is room for one more I can make it work. And I have. My flock is happy I love them all, but I hope we are complete! If a parrot in need found me I'm sure I'd have difficulty turning away, but I'm not looking !!! ( I do have and elderly with health issues neighbor, if something was to happen I will be taking the cockatiel , but hopefully he, and I as well have many more happy years left),

Many regular folks re home their parrots on Craigslist, they are not all scammers, its one of the few ways people with parrots can find a second home. Often they just didn't understand how demanding parrots are , or situations in life happen, I consider them rescues tho you will have to pay for them, but they desperately need good people. Some may have behavior issues from not getting the attention, space , diet exc.. and some are well loved and cared for but can't be kept. So I hope you consider a second hand parrot there are soooooo many needing a new home.
I worked with the medical fosters that were taken from bad homes or given up so I fostered the ones about to die ( none did! ) starved, mutilating, injured, plus behavior issues like screaming and biting . They bloomed and responded so well. So I have complete faith those can become loving companions . But that is a big challenge for those new to parrots. Most tho are just unwanted, or owners have to heartbreaking find a new home for them. So don't be afraid to give a look and consideration.

And we say let the parrot choose you. Thsts makes it easier the parrits know best! You can tell they choose you, because they express interest, they look at you, they come near you, and best if all if they step up for you . Tho I took the rehomes without ever meeting before, and Penny was a screaming, lunging, biting mess when I found her. And she is the sweetest girl now!
@Laurasea you’re so compassionate !!! It sounds like these mistreated birds are forgiving when provided a new home. ;-)

Most Reactions