Amadeo

Mar 29, 2018
UK, North West, Lancashire
Parrots
Sherbert (Male Cockateil, Grey with Emerald/Olive),
Moth (Female Budgerigar, Pied),
Melia (Female Budgerigar, Dilute)
Hello from the UK!
I come from the North West, Lancashire, where I live in the quiet countryside away from everything but farmland, grass and the few houses in the area.
I currently live with my parents,my older sisters' family and quite a few pets, the majority of which belong to my older sister (three cats- yes, three of them, tropical fish, guniapigs ans rabbits - all hers) and a pair of tortoises, which are my Mums'.
And last, but not least, my cockatiel.:grey:

I work part-time for Greggs, and am a freelance artist. I enjoy anime, video games, art, animals and am a recluse. Human interaction is not my favourite thing, but I put up with it. XD

I'm hoping to settle into this forum and pick up useful information on keeping birds. Past experiences with forums have been... Poor to say the least so I'll likely hang in the background reading mostly.

My current bird, a male cockateil is not tame.
He was originally one of a pair I received as a present years ago (back in high school). Sadly the other passed away a couple of years ago. Birds are notoriously good at looking fine and showing no symptoms before its too late, so it was a shock.
But enough of that, my cockatiel is a grey with a bright yellow head and those trademark cute red cheeks.
Since I was given him out of the blue, with no information, books or advice and I was young, inexperienced and lacking in help or knowledge he sadly became an ornament, never leaving the cage.

I hope to bring him out, so I've been talking to him daily and putting my hands near the cage. Hands in cage is a big no-no at the moment - he usually gets scared and flaps widely. But while I stand near the cage he'll preen himself, sing and come up to me. It's just going to take some time for him to feel comfortable with a hand near him. Any help in taming would be great!

Originally he was named Chatot, but I'm thinking Sherbert would be better. He is a sweet, bubbly cockateil, he just needs time to really open up to being handled.
As for his cage, its pretty big - the biggest we could find at the time, so he has space to play with toys.
I don't know his age, we were never told at the pet shop and he was on a seed diet in a smaller cage with four others including his now deceased friend.
I found out the hard way that not all pet shops will provide good information on the animals you're looking to own.

Anyway, thanks for reading if you did and I hope to soak up information and see other peoples' birds.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
Welcome!
I'm glad you found us. You sound like a very caring and sensitive person. I'm an artist too (portraits and some anime/video work)... YOU are also a wordsmith, painting a lovely picture of your surroundings.

How about pictures of your little buddy?

If you'd like some reading, I like this selection (thanks, Kentuckienne)...

http://www.parrotforums.com/general-parrot-information/49144-tips-bonding-building-trust.html

General Parrot Information - Parrot Forum - Parrot Owner's Community

Blanchard PDF
https://journals.tdl.org/watchbird/i...view/1113/1092

And:
http://goodbirdinc.blogspot.com/2012...n-parrots.html

A more scientific article
https://fall2016.iaabcjournal.org/human-avian-bond/

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
greetings fellow brit!

I'm guessing he was named after the pokemon of the same name?
latest

Little reference for any who don't know the particular one

Sounds like you're already heading in the right direction in opening your little guy up!

reeb

Oct 23, 2017
Media
Albums
Cape Town, South Africa
Parrots
Berry (♀ Cockatiel) hatched June 2017
Opal (♂ Budgie) hatched 13 August 2017
Pearl (♀ Budgie) hatched 15 August 2017
+ an aviary of 16 other budgies! all hatched 2014-2017
Since I love Pokemon, I’d vote for Chatot! Sounds like you’re on the right track. Welcome, and good luck with your baby!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome to the forums, I am certain the links posted by GaleriaGila will prove immensely helpful.

Birds do not come with "owners manuals" and as you state, many purveyors lack the interest to educate, or at least point in the right direction. That is the beauty of this and other forums, a place to share and learn, aiming to better the lives of our feathered companions!

OP
Amadeo

Amadeo

Mar 29, 2018
Parrots
greetings fellow brit!

I'm guessing he was named after the pokemon of the same name?
latest

Little reference for any who don't know the particular one

Sounds like you're already heading in the right direction in opening your little guy up!

That would be correct!
I actually got him around the time forth gen came out, which also happens to be my favourite generation. When I saw Chatot I instantly loved it, and being a kid (I was just a young teenager) who was obsessed with Pokemon it was inevitable.

OP
Amadeo

Amadeo

Mar 29, 2018
Parrots
Welcome!
I'm glad you found us. You sound like a very caring and sensitive person. I'm an artist too (portraits and some anime/video work)... YOU are also a wordsmith, painting a lovely picture of your surroundings.

How about pictures of your little buddy?

If you'd like some reading, I like this selection (thanks, Kentuckienne)...

http://www.parrotforums.com/general-parrot-information/49144-tips-bonding-building-trust.html

General Parrot Information - Parrot Forum - Parrot Owner's Community

Blanchard PDF
https://journals.tdl.org/watchbird/i...view/1113/1092

And:
http://goodbirdinc.blogspot.com/2012...n-parrots.html

A more scientific article
https://fall2016.iaabcjournal.org/human-avian-bond/

Thank you kindly!
These links will definitely help me out. Any information is useful and I enjoy learning, especially about animals.
I'll get some photos of him soon. I am planning on moving his cage to slmewhere betterfor him, where he will hopefully venture out, which will provide a better opportunity for good photos without cage bars in the way.

itzjbean

Jan 27, 2017
Media
Iowa, USA
Parrots
2 cockatiels
Hello and welcome from another cockatiel parront!!

I have a pair and they are currently incubating 5 eggs which should be hatching in a week or two. I joined this community back in early '17 and I have learned SO MUCH since then....both what I was doing wrong before and what I should be doing now. I learned so much about proper diet for birds and how to better understand their needs.

Stick around, you will learn so much!

smbrds

May 17, 2016
Media
Central Florida
Parrots
Normal (or not so!) Grey Cockatiel
Welcome to you and your little guy, from a fellow tiel parront as well! So far so good with advice given, and it's great that he's coming to you and even singing to you when you're by him. It's all trial and error! In time.

Forums like these are invaluable, especially when some books are outdated/when you don't have any. The best learning and knowledge is engaging with fellow bird lovers.

Most Reactions

Latest posts