New Member Here with new Parrots

TS1229

Sep 2, 2016
New York
Parrots
African Grey
Hi, I'm glad to be a part of this forum. I am, just today, going to adopt a pair of African Grey parrots. They are in their 20's, not hand tamed, and a retired breeding pair. I'm not certain what their living situation has been yet, and I'm interested to find out. I'm not new to parrots, I had an Amazon years ago, and I fostered a McCaw for a year until her owner could have her back - but I am new to Greys. Any advise for getting them settled in and hand tamed would be appreciated. I'm sure that I have a lot to learn. If nothing else, I can give them a happy, peaceful retirement with lots of love and patience. Wish me luck!

SirEdwin89

Mar 5, 2016
Virginia
Parrots
Confetti (9y/o CAG), Ely (5 y/o Citron SC2), Barney (3 y/o MSC2), Baby (21 y/o Senegal), Peaches (16 y/o M2)
Conan (26 y/o Harlequin Macaw)
Biggest piece of advice I can give, is move slowly. Grey's often take quite a while to warm up to new things. My grey for example wouldn't touch her play stand until it had been in the living room near her cage for almost 3 months. Also, due to being a breeding pair, you will likely have a bit of a hump to get over in the bonding department, since they will both be strongly bonded to each other.

Really though, it's just a matter of patience, and being willing to move at their speed.

Oh, and welcome to the forums! glad to have you!

jenphilly

Oct 15, 2013
Lehigh Valley, PA
Parrots
BE2 (Ivory), B&G Macaw (Max), Budgie Group,
Granbirds- tiels; GCC (Monkey & Monster); Sun Conure (Loki); Bare Eyed Too (Folger); Evil Green Monster YNA (Kelly); B&G (Titan)
Welcome to the group and biggest hug I can send you for taking in a pair of birds that desperately need a safe place to land.

How far you will get with the pair depends on their natural personalities and curiosity. We find many long time breeders never come around to people and hands on interaction. But that doesn't mean they won't make amazing family members in the home.

Give them time and lots of it. Be sure to set them up without anything remotely nest like. Lots of toys, extra spot for treats. I would start training that is simple like stationing within the cage. In a nutshell, it gets the bird to a bowl that is only ever used for treats given while doing the stationing. This can be super helpful if they are protective of their 'nest' - cage - so you can clean and do waters, replace toys and such. It's also an all positive interaction. Lara Joseph has great info and is a tremendous training / behavior resource.

If you can, a cage with a playtop, while I do not usually advocate a bird coming in and out on their own for most birds. I have successfully used this method with Merlin, a retired breeder, who fostered with us for many months. Merlin became very vocal and interactive but remains hands off. Tho he's been adopted and I still expect the day I get the super excited text from Katie that Merlin got head scratches!! He's come so far and being in a home where he has complete acceptance for who he is and he may not be makes all the difference.

Again much appreciation for getting these two out of the cycle they have been forced in and I hope to hear lots of positive updates. I am always happy to try to help and when I can't, the shelter mom, Jeanne, is a major grey person. We would be happy to try to help with anything we can!!

Here's thoughts for a happy ending!!

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Welcome and be welcomed. You already have gotten some great advice. Ask away, there are many knowledgeable Grey owners on here ( I am not one though).

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome to the forums, and thank you for giving this breeding pair a safe haven and respite from the production treadmill!!

As others have posted, Greys are highly intelligent but resistant to change. My guess is when you create an inviting environment they will s l o w l y come out of their shells. Definitely a process, give them time! But you have already given them the greatest gifts of their lives!!:)

BIRDIGIRL

Jan 25, 2016
Mayo Ireland
Parrots
Rodney Blue Fronted Amazon
RIP Mr Biggles White Fronted Amazon , Elsa and Little Nellow the Lutino Budgies, Lady Primrose a Pied Budgie and English Budgies Houdini Popeye and Olive
Im not a Grey Parront either but well done adopting a retired breeding pair ... I have a White Fronted Amazon who was an Aviary bird and a breeding bird too until his mate died. He was scared of everything when he came first and was very ill too which didnt help, but now though Im not allowed scratch him or hold him he plays lots of games with me and does lots of tricks so dont give up is my advice and move at your birds pace...as others have said it will be harder for you with the Greys being bonded to each other but eventually they will accept you and I can tell you there is no greater thrill than when a wild aviary bird decides to respond to you for the first time or fly to you for the first time ...you are in for a wonderful adventure and you will need tons of patience but you are also journeying to the thrill of a lifetime the first time one or both of them respond to you and the thrill doesnt stop there it is repeated each step they take in trust day by day as your bond grows with them and their bond grows with you, and its a thrill that continnues on and gets more awesome with each step forward. There will also be steps backward so dont lose heart...learn from them and go back a step or two and continnue building trust from a level that the bird is happy with...Best of Luck with your new Fids and welcome to the forum :)

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
Rescuing two at once, and they already are bonded and tame and healthy, and you're getting great advice here! I'd say win-win and lucky-lucky all around. Glad to have you here.

OP
T

TS1229

Sep 2, 2016
New York
Parrots
African Grey
We got them home last night. I took them basically sight unseen as they had them locked in their breeding box and sitting on the porch. I only got a little peek inside at the male - the female was hiding in the back. The lady was not very chatty nor open to offering much information. She just wanted them gone. I don't know what their living conditions were other than their cage has a lot of fly poop on it. She didn't invite us into the house.

So we brought them home and put their box inside the cage, went to bed, and left the light on for them. This morning, they were both out, and I'm pleasantly surprised that they were anxious for attention. They have been whistling and talking a bit. They whistle for us when we leave the room. Good signs all around.

Now we have to name them, because they don't even have names. I think that they will be fine though. The male leans in like he wants his head scratched. I'm not going to push them too fast though. They do bite, but not aggressively, just protectively, so I think we can work though that with time and patience. Off to the pet shop to get some food and toys.

What does everyone think about mite spray or the mite prevention that you put on the cage? They seem a bit itchy, but otherwise their feathers are in pretty good condition given the fact that she said they don't get fruit or veggies and their kibble looks like cat food. Maybe just some conditioning bath spray and a better choice of feed?

Thank you to everyone for your support and suggestions. It's very helpful to read your comments. I'll post pictures soon.

SirEdwin89

Mar 5, 2016
Virginia
Parrots
Confetti (9y/o CAG), Ely (5 y/o Citron SC2), Barney (3 y/o MSC2), Baby (21 y/o Senegal), Peaches (16 y/o M2)
Conan (26 y/o Harlequin Macaw)
As far as Mite spray is concerned, it is great stuff IF they *definitely* have mites, but I would never use it on a bird that didn't 100% have mites, the stuff is still pretty harsh chemically. It's very possible from the way their environment sounded that they never got baths, and that and a poor diet can definitely lead to being overly itchy.

For now, I would stick to getting them on that better diet, and getting them bathing (if they are interested) and if you can in for a vet check-up so you can be definitive on if mites are actually an issue.

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
A warm welcome to the forums! Thank you for adopting two adult greys!

Mariar

May 9, 2014
Clearwater Florida but grew up in Wisconsin
Parrots
Doolie,Yellow nape amazon(r.i.p.03/10/15)
Sissy,severe macaw(rescued on 03-16-15) chirpy,sparrow(beak less) jack,Jill,chase,fiona,finch, and tiger,sulfer crested(rescued 04/15/20
Welcome to our happy forum! And what a wonderful thing to do...rescuing a pair.

Most Reactions

Latest posts