New Member, Lucas.

lniet001

Dec 23, 2011
Miami, Florida, USA
Parrots
Scarlett Macaw
I'm new to bird ownership and it has been quite challenging. Four weeks ago I adopted a 4-week old scarlet macaw. So far, it is doing great, but I am somewhat sleep deprived.

After I got it, we went to the avian vet, and everything seemed fine. A local breeder who has been very helpful with my questions and concerns.

I know how some people feel about unweaned birds, but it is too late to do anything about it, and I believe making an effort to keep the bird healthy and happy is the most important thing now.

Currently (December 23rd, 2011), it is 54 days old and weights 912 grams. It started acting up on me (while eating) last friday (December 16, 2011), and the breeder gave me some advice to improve this behavior.
The act-up was refusing part of the formula, and not finishing his full 95 cc. My solution to this was to not force it, and feed it more times a day. The breeder told me that this would only encourage the behavior and would make the bird not eat enough. So his tip was to skip one feed one day, and I was skeptic about this (I've read is not good to make let them go hungry), so I did not try this right away. Then, when the bird got even worse, I took it to the breeder for a check-up and they told me he looked great (growth and awareness), then reminded me that I needed to skip just one feed. I did. Problem solved...I guess they are breeders for a reason.

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
HeHeHe , guess we've been though the school of hard knocks and learned our lessons at a price.Welcome to the forum and read some of the topics here and let us know if you have questions, good luck.

kc_y0

Nov 17, 2011
Media
Sydney
Parrots
Eclectus Female - Audrey.
Art - Budgie.
Astro - Budgie.
Mini - Budgie, RIP gorgeous girl.
Welcome to the forum, and good luck with the weaning, I've heard its a very difficult process! scarlet macaws are stunning!!

Most Reactions