New member/ new to birds

dianalipsrawls

Aug 13, 2021
Parrots
I have a common Grackle I believe. Found him when his mother was killed by a cat in my complex. He was extremely thin and I wasn't sure if he/ she would make it. He is a month + week in my care.
I found a baby Grackle whose mother I believe was killed month and a half ago. He/ she was underweight so I googled the care for a baby bird and followed that. He/ she has done real well. And couple weeks ago we call em Mr. Bird, even tho I don't know if he is a he or a she. Every videos I watch when they fly they fly to the trees and come BK for food. Mr. Bird does not leave me when we go outside. I have taken him out everyday since I found him but he doesn't fly to the trees . My husband says he knows he got it t easy here so y would he leave. Does anyone else have a Grackle as a pet?

Thanks,
Diana Rawls

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome Diana and Mr. Bird! I know nothing about grackles, perhaps he bonded to you as caregiver replacement for his mother. Found some interesting links about grackles:

Are you considering keeping him as companion?

SoberParrots

Aug 15, 2021
North Carolina
Parrots
lineolated parakeet, Bipper
I found a baby Grackle whose mother I believe was killed month and a half ago. He/ she was underweight so I googled the care for a baby bird and followed that. He/ she has done real well. And couple weeks ago we call em Mr. Bird, even tho I don't know if he is a he or a she. Every videos I watch when they fly they fly to the trees and come BK for food. Mr. Bird does not leave me when we go outside. I have taken him out everyday since I found him but he doesn't fly to the trees . My husband says he knows he got it t easy here so y would he leave. Does anyone else have a Grackle as a pet?

Thanks,
Diana Rawls
Maybe take him to the vet to get everything checked and ask them their opinion on it. Do your research on your species before you continue to try and own them! I love the sound of this “mr. bird.” By the way, quite a fitting name.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Welcome and be welcomed. If your considering keeping him as a companion, I would strongly recommend training him to a harness. There will be a day when he is able to fly and will get scared by something, and he will bolt, likely never to be seen again. Happens all the time with parrots and owners who think oh well he has never flown away before.

SoberParrots

Aug 15, 2021
North Carolina
Parrots
lineolated parakeet, Bipper
Welcome and be welcomed. If your considering keeping him as a companion, I would strongly recommend training him to a harness. There will be a day when he is able to fly and will get scared by something, and he will bolt, likely never to be seen again. Happens all the time with parrots and owners who think oh well he has never flown away before.
Great idea

Kitekeeper

Jun 19, 2021
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Parrots
Budgerigar (Bud), Pacific Parrotlet (Sam), Roseicollis lovebird (BJ and Turq), Linneolated parakeet (Charlie and Emma)
Welcome Diana!

What a wonderful bird you helped! Grackles belong to a family of birds (Icteridae) that exists only in the Americas. They are highly intelligent and deeply social. It is one of my favourite family of birds!

I had the opportunity to help a baby Icteridae several years ago. It was a cowbird and he was among the sweetest birds I had the opportunity to take care off.

Can you tell the genus? Is it a Quiscalus quiscula? If so, you will be able to determine the sex after he/she is adult, nearly 6 months from now. Males are bigger and have more colorfull feathers, particularly the neck reflective ones.

Wrench13 is right regarding the risk of your grackle to fly away if scared. I would add that he belongs to a species with migratory habits. He might, eventually join a flock when it is time to migrate.

Most Reactions

Latest posts