New member, on my second Conure

lkane12673

Feb 10, 2023
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure
Hello! I'm Lisa, I'm 50 and I work from home as an RN.

I just brought home a 7 month old GCC. S/he is very skittish and will squawk and run/fly to the back of his/her cage anytime I come near. I have been able to go up to the cage to change out her food and water, but she is hanging on the back of the cage shaking the whole time. I got her from PetCo and she's been with me now 6 days.

My first Conure was already 18mo old and came from a previous owner. He already knew hands and would eagerly step up and loved to snuggle. I'm at a loss with this new bird as I have no experience with one who doesn't know people are safe.

Any advice?

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Hi and welcome. Just give your new baby a few days to settle in. try to remember she is in a whole new envoronment, with all sorts of strangeness. One trick you can try is getting a chair, and sit down and start reading to her, If she is aggitated, move the chair further from the cage until she relaxes. THen each day move the chair a bit closer to the cage. Parrots love being read to in a nice soothing friendly voice. Great reading material is in the AMazon sub-forum stickies,, title I Love Amazons, It contains a LOT of great info that is applicable to all parrots, not just Amazons.

It also helps to figure out her fav treat, and every time you pass the cage drop a small bit of it in her food bowl or just have a special cup for that. She needs to learn that only good things come from humans. She wiil learn to trust you and parrots are all about trust!. Measure everything you do by that yardstick - does this build trust or does it bust trust.

OP
lkane12673

lkane12673

Feb 10, 2023
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure
So far she likes millet. I tried sticking long pieces in through the cage and she sill runs. If I put it in her bowl, she goes for it.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Well millet is a treat, but you might try others. My little Amazon loves pine nuts. That bird would plow the back 40 for a pine nut. You can cut them into tiny pieces as too much of any treat is not good for them and also negates the phycological benefit. Tiny bits are better then lots n lots.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Welcome to you, Lisa, and your new baby!

This is a wonderful thread, and it has helped me when working with my wilder birds:

Tips for Bonding and Building Trust

I've found that the success is sweeter when I have to work for it, and it is an amazing feeling to finally gain their trust.

I'm so happy you joined us and I'm looking forward to hearing of your journey together:)

Most Reactions

Latest posts