Lis

Aug 20, 2013
Indiana
Parrots
"Larry Bird" Quaker, 12 years
"Mogul" CAG 17 years
"Duke" B&G Macaw 22 years
"Pepper" GW Macaw 6 years
I wanted to say hello and introduce myself. I am fairly new to parrots. In the last year I was asked to adopted a 12 y/o quaker parrot (Larry) and a 17 y/o African Grey Congo( Mogul). I have enjoyed them very much and things have gone quite well with them. However, these were not bird I was planning to add to my family, but begged by people to take. Everyone knows I love animals, but my bird experience has been in having chickens for the last 5 years. Lol not the same thing as parrots at all. My chickens are my pets tho and I have loved having them. Unfortunately, i lost my 3 favorites this spring and my 13 year old dog. I started thinking about getting a parrot that I would want for myself if I were to get one... And I keep coming back to the Macaw.

Knowing how long they live, I feel a little guilty getting a baby, so I though I would look for an older bird that needed to be rehomed or rescued. I have been leaning towards the green wing or second choice blue/gold. Last night, I decided after a Skype call with "Duke" that he would be a perfect fit for our family. He is a 22y/o B&G Macaw. He has been with a really loving family and seems well taken care of and seems well socialized. His current Mom just retired from teaching and use to take him in once a year for her 3rd graders to see when they were studying birds, he shows his wings, plays dead, tells you when he needs to potty. He hasn't taken a shower in awhile she said because she hasn't had the time in the past year. Her husband has had a stroke and she needs to help with his care too. Anyway, I say all of this knowing it will still be a major adjustment for Duke and me. I will be picking him up Sept 4th and he will bring his own cage. What I hope is I can get some good info about how to best prepare for his arrival? What can I expect? Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
Thx Melissa

Poppetsmum

Jul 31, 2013
Parrots
Poppet. A Quaker.
Hi Melissa,

Wow you must be super excited. He sounds simply adorable. I'm sure the Macaw fans will be along shortly with great advice but I wanted to say hi and welcome you to the forum. Be sure to post lots of pics when you get him. :)

kq_fan

Jun 26, 2013
Media
Seattle, Washington
Parrots
Lilo - Female Green Cheek Conure ~ Pal - male cockatiel ~ Pheobe - female cockatiel
Hi! Welcome to the forum! Sorry I cant really answer your question, Iv only had little birds, but I just wanted to say hi and have fun on the forum and with your new baby! Good luck! :)

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Hi Lis, and welcome to the forum. :)

How exciting about the upcoming arrival of Duke. Since Duke sounds like a very well socialized B&G, I'm hopeful that the transition into your home will go smoothly. Yes, he will probably be scared and unsure of what is going on at first, but with lots of patience and TLC all should be well soon enough. :)

Please keep us posted on how things go once you bring Duke home.

Most Reactions

Latest posts