New Member - Sad Story

Gemstone

Dec 14, 2019
USA
Parrots
Female Parakeet - Misha
Female Parrotlet - Kiwi
Hello! I'm Gem and I have a 3 year old parakeet named Misha and a 1 year old parrotlet named Kiwi. Misha is my birb but Kiwi is my moms.
I decided to make an account on the forums here mostly because, sadly, we recently had a parrotlet, Blu, die. We had gotten them together and we knew the risks of housing them in the same cage, but they seems to get along fine for the most part. But for the past couple of weeks I have noticed that Kiwi would sometimes dive at Blu's feet. Kiwi has always been more aggressive than Blu and she still bites pretty hard and is very territorial. Blu was always the calm one and they had always gotten together pretty good. We would always see them perched by each other and preen each other often.

[warning: heartbreaking, read at your own risk]
Yesterday I had come home to see Blu at the bottom of the cage. Kiwi was up on the perch by herself. Blu didn't even seem that roughed up, but he had been dead for a few hours. My mom had checked on them that morning and they both had seemed fine.

I'm sorry for dumping this all in a post but I think I really need to get it out. Kiwi has been calling for him even though I think she knows what she did. I don't know how to help her except give her more attention. Misha and Kiwi have never gotten along and I know that she has bitten Misha before because I saw a scab on Misha's leg. I don't like to have them together because I'm not sure what Kiwi would do to Misha. They are kept in different rooms and I sometimes hear Kiwi call to Misha if she is being loud. But I don't trust her, especially after what happened to Blu. Whenever I have Kiwi out I make sure that they are both not near each other.
But I still feel really bad for Kiwi. She is young, I'm not actually sure if she is a year old or if she is younger, and I want to help her.
My mom said we aren't getting another bird and I agree. We don't know if they would get along with Kiwi.
I'm not sure what else to say...

Edit: Kiwi and Blu were born in April 2019.
Also, we are thinking that it is possible that it might not be Kiwis fault. We have a tall lamp that they usually land on and they have been chewing on it some. It is possible that the lamp might have lead in it. The lamp is currently covered with a towel.

Last edited:

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Welcome aboard Gemstone but I wish it was under happier circumstances!

You are wise to keep your birds apart for safety’s sake. I’m not familiar with parrotlets - and I presume when you say “parakeet” you mean what we in Australia would call a budgerigar. Budgies are wonderful little critters with tons of personality but they do have legendary “pester power” and other birds sometimes lash out at them if they’ve been annoying them all day! And as for your lamp, well you can pretty much guarantee your bird will find the one dangerous thing in even the most scrupulously bird proofed home and zero in on it!

Kiwi may or may not be responsible for Blu’s death but if you do end up getting another bird it’s best to house them separately. Sometimes even birds who have gotten along just fine for years will have a falling out and need their own space.

I’m sorry for your loss :(

Last edited:

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
Hello, and please accept my sympathy.

I agree with La Manuka's thoughts as far as analysis.

As far as support, I'm sure you have that from out Community. We all know that a bird-lover can have deep feelings for any darling pet... new, old, tiny, big...

I'm glad you found us.

9lhIlM0.jpg

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Our families condolences on the loss of Blu. No advice though, we are a 1 parrot household. But lots of our members have flocks, some large flocks, and can give you some ideas. I know parrotlets are tough, stuborn little parrots, who think they are the size of macaws. I personally saw a little blue parrotlet bully and just chase a big umbrella cockatoo all around a large play tree once. Absolutly fearless was this one.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome to the forums, Gem. Please accept my deepest condolences for your loss of Blu.

Superb advice with prior posts. We can never be certain how birds will get along in close proximity. Temperament is often more critical than size.

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
Welcome to you! I am sorry for your trials and tribulations! As you suspect, I agree, there is a good chance your little one was ill!

Most Reactions