New member searching for advice

A

Astrovel

Hello, birders!
I am a senior lady who has 3 spoiled rotten birds but I love them anyway. Bobo is a double yellow headed amazon that we rescued from deplorable conditions. He is about 20 years old. He doesn't talk but makes very appropriate sounds occasionally. Sort of like an eye roll if you can relate to that.
Pepe is my husbands' constant companion. He is a beautiful sun conure and is tame. My husband spoils him rotten by letting him chew all his tee shirts up while sitting on his shoulder or inside after taking a nap.
Tooty is my constant companion since his cage is right next to my desk where I spend a lot of time. He whistles "How much is that doggie in the window" and used to whistle the stars and stripes forever but he's sort of moved on from that. He says his name, Tooty, Tooty, Tooty. and says Tooty pretty bird.
In addition we have a little chocolate chip Chihuahua. At least that's what she looked like when we adopted her from the shelter. She looked like a little chocolate chip cookie so that's what we named her.
If I start singing "How much is that doggie", Cookie starts singing with me. Throws her head back and howls. That's HER song and she gets to sing it with me.

We feed our birds some home made birdie bread that they all love. I will be happy to share the recipe if anyone wants it. Our Avian vet told us that our birds are the healthiest birds he's seen in a long time. That's what brought me to the forum. I need some advice on how to get rid of the tiny black gnats that swarm over their food dishes.

We share the leftover foods from the indoor birds with the outdoor birds, squirrels and other critters that scrounge for food.

Thank you for allowing me to be a part of your online community. I look forward to hearing from you.
:greenyellow::rainbow1::grey:

Attachments

• Bobo1.jpg
    Bobo1.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 185
  • Pepe-1.jpg.jpg
    Pepe-1.jpg.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 189
  • Tooty.jpg
    Tooty.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 167
  • 033.jpg
    033.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 171

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
Hello, and welcome. I'm new here, too, and I have found a wonderful combination of support and information. Since the Rickeybird doesn't eat outside, I don't have advice for you, but somebody will!

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Hello and welcome! Your flock is gorgeous, and I have fallen in love with your little chocolate chip cookie:)
I would love your recipe for birdie bread, I am always looking for new recipes:)

When we have issues with fruit flies or gnats, we use apple cider vinegar in containers that they can fly into but not out of. Here is a link to a simple one to make:
Easy Fruit Fly Trap

I am so happy you joined us and I look forward to hearing more about your feathered and furry family:)

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Well I will have to admit that I love your DYH Amazon! Ours is also rehomed and he turned 18 this year.

Welcome to the Parrot Forums!

Regarding your Amazon, please take the time to read the first Thread in the Amazon Forums regarding Amazon Body Language, it is high-lighted in light blue.

Again welcome! Amazons Rule!

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome, I thoroughly enjoyed your introduction complete with the stunning pictures of your menagerie!!

I have no additional advice for the pesky bugs - might be a regional issue?

LeaKP

Aug 11, 2014
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Congo African Grey
Welcome! I would also love your birdie bread recipe. This is a great place I hope you feel welcomed.

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Welcome to the forums! Your babies are darling, they look so happy and healthy! What a sweet photo of Cookie, she's precious. I'm partial to the name, Cookie, it was our first yorkie's name.

I would love to try your bird's favorite birdie bread recipe.

BIRDIGIRL

Jan 25, 2016
Mayo Ireland
Parrots
Rodney Blue Fronted Amazon
RIP Mr Biggles White Fronted Amazon , Elsa and Little Nellow the Lutino Budgies, Lady Primrose a Pied Budgie and English Budgies Houdini Popeye and Olive
Welcome to the forum your Flock are Gorgeous including the chocolate chip wingless one :) Adorable :)

SadieFreddy

May 30, 2016
New York
Parrots
Indian Ring Neck (Sadie)
Green Cheek Conure (Freddy)
I say you have a great flock, feathers and fur alike :) My husband and I are new to the forum as well. I have no answer to the gnats but would love the bird bread recipe, please. I have heard the birds love them. I just leaned about chop and we are giving our feathered family members the same great treatment our fur babies get :)

OP
A

Astrovel

Re: Thanks for the fruit fly suggestion

For those of you that are interested, here is our delightful birdie bread recipe. Our birds hop on that the very first thing when they get their dinner.

The recipe makes a very big amount, you use a large 10"X11.5" inside diameter flat cake pan.

Ingredients:
1 16 oz jar chunky peanut butter
4 ea containers or jars of baby food, 4 oz.
(Choose a variety that is good for them, like squash, sweet potatoes, green beans, carrots, apples and pears, etc.)
3 ripe bananas, mashed
4 eggs
1 cup grated fresh carrots
Mix all these ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
Now you can start adding the dry ingredients.
1 or 2 cups rolled oats (start with 1 cup, add another if mixture is too loose.)
1 cup granola cereal (I use the ones that have dates, nuts, whole grains)
1 cup steel cut oats
1 cup corn meal
1 cup chopped nuts of your choice. peanuts, walnuts, pecans etc.

Add these ingredients one at a time, mixing with the moist ingredients. Mixture should be fairly heavy but moist. There is no flour, no salt, no other additives unless you want to add some dried fruit, raisins or other item your bird loves. Bake at 325 deg for about 40 minutes.

Spray the pan with olive oil pan spray and pour the batter into the pan, smoothing the top nice and even.
When cooked and cooled, we cut the bread into about 1" squares and store in covered container and freeze most of it. Since there is no preservatives, we only keep about 6 or 8 squares in the refrigerator at a time in a covered plastic dish. Then when we serve it, we cut it up in smaller pieces to put in their dish according to their size. Our little Tooty has such a small beak, we crumble his up.
Experiment after you make the first batch. It's very easy and we don't have to make it but about every 5 weeks or so, even with 3 birds.

In their dinner food dish along with birdie bread, they get sliced grapes or cherries, a few sprigs of lettuce, a spoonful of cut corn. They will eat the birdie bread first and then go for the fresh veggies. Our Avian vet told us, "I don't know what you are feeding these birds but whatever it is, keep doing it. I see birds all the time that are overweight from sunflower seeds etc on a purely seed diet." We tell everyone who has birds about our birdie bread and how much our birds love it.

Hope you enjoy making the birdie bread and your birds will LOVE it.
I added a pic of Pepe who sleeps in his bed, not on a perch. Does that spell spoiled?

Thanks again for the gnat idea. I'm going to do that right now.,:rainbow1:

Attachments

• inhisbed3.jpg
    inhisbed3.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 76
OP
A

Astrovel

Thank you so much for the link on the fruit fly trap! I tried it and a few hours later, wow! I don't have the pesky little things flying around my face.
I love all your pictures of the members of your tribes. Absolutely gorgeous!
Re: food for birdies...We have a little dish of foraging seed blends for during the day and then feed them the fresh vittles at dusk.
I can relate to the chewing part, since my husband lets Pepe climb all over him and chew up his tee shirt while he is busy writing his ebooks. DH doesn't have but one tee shirt without holes (for doctor's visits). They are all Pepe shirts. He has done a number on the cover of his cage too. Looks like lace. (not really, just kidding)
In case you have a reader like Kindle, Nook or Ipad, you might like to check out my husband's website that lists all his published books on Amazon and Barnes & Noble. Lots of variety. Synopsis and sample chapter on the website.
www.magic-quill.com Enjoy.
Thanks again for the solution on the fly trap. Works like a charm.

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Thank you for sharing your birdie bread recipe, I can't wait to try it!

What a sweet photo of Pepe!

LeaKP

Aug 11, 2014
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Congo African Grey
Making the birdie bread tomorrow! Having to substitute some (not jarred baby food here and a few other things, I live in Malawi) but I think it will be all good.

Most Reactions

Latest posts