New Owner of miss-handled Macaw.

MimiN

Jan 13, 2013
Virginia Beach
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw
I have taken a Macaw into my home as a "rescue". She has plucked most of her lower body feathers off and bites if you try to have her step up. I know she knows how because once in a while she will do it and let me stroke her back and belly. Her name is Karma.

Karma has had several owners, we have no idea how old she is, as she has no leg band and no vet records. We know that she was taken from a "hoarder" who rescued her from a Breeder/Hoarder and who knows before that.

I am prepared to keep her as a permanent member of my family and I know making friends will take some time. I also know it might never happen and I am still prepared to keep her in that event.

I really need some guidance on how to proceed, She is in a new large cage, she will let me treat her and sometimes touch her, but mostly she wants to bite. I do not withdraw my hand when she tries to bite me, i just lower it. She will not step up to come out of the cage. Should I just leave her in it for a few days? She has been out of the cage and we were able to get her back in by being very patient until she would step up but then you have to put her in the cage and quickly sht the door as she tries to escape. I can tell she wants out, but I cannot leave her out all of the time. HELP!!! I have tried moving her to a training perch and practicing step up but it only works when she will allow me to take her off the outside of the cage in the first place which is almost never.

wwendy104

Dec 30, 2012
Fort Wayne, IN
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw
African Grey
Conure
Good for you for taking her, that is great. I also took in a B&G that was removed from a home on New Years day. So far I have to use creative coaxing to get her off the cage. The cage is their safe haven and if they aren't comfotable with the surrounding they will bite if they feel threatened. Give her some time sit by the cage but don't force cause it will take longer to get to the point you want to be at. I have a little rocking chair next to the cage and I sit there every night and talk to her or watch TV. She now comes down to visit and she is getting more and more comfy with us everyday.

Birds that come from situations like this have to gain trust in their new situation. You might see her go through a period of sadness too but persistance is key work with her ever day even if its small steps like feeding her through the side of the cage or petting her head. I found that since mine was on mostly seed giving her new food she hadn't gotten before was a good thing. Watermelon, mango, walnuts were somethings I found she would almost run for. I also found limiting a lot of people from messing around with her such as feeding or sticking hands at her was also good. Getting poked at in a stressful situation makes it worse.

Im happy you took her so many bird out there come from situation like this and very little of them get to find thier forever home with happiness and love!:blue1:

CoCo1

Jan 15, 2013
Omaha, Ne
Parrots
1 African Grey "JJ" and 1 M2 "Lola" and my 2 yorkies...while not feathered they are still part of my flock!
Congrats on your new addition! I too take in birdies that people have mis-handled or out right abused. I am always thankful for people who have large hearts and open homes for these babies. I currently have a M2 and a CAG-both not great histories but I work everyday at gaining their trust and showing them there is a pot of love at the end of the nightmare for them. JJ still is not trusting- but I do talk to her more of a whisper really- which sometimes draws her closer to me. I feed her pumpkin, mango, broccoli anything that is larger that she can take without feeling threatened. I know she listens to me because the other night she said (out of the blue) "is my baby JJ hungry- lets eat baby". which I only whisper to her. Keep up the great work and best of luck!

aliray

Jan 28, 2012
Rotonda West , Fla
Parrots
yellow sided green cheek conure,Chiquita Quaker parrot Sweetie Pie, African red bellied parrot Tiki, spanish timbrado canary Lucas
Congrats on your new baby:)

Remy

Jul 13, 2011
California
Parrots
Darcy (Golden-Collared Macaw), Puck (Caique - RIP)
Thank you for rescuing her! :)

Take it slowly. Moves can be difficult for birds. Talk to her nicely (from a safe distance if you need to), and give her yummy treats! When Darcy is nippy, I say nice things to him in a soft voice, and he usually calms down. Puck liked being spoken to in a louder, more enthusiastic voice. Every bird is different.

Keep us updated, and maybe post some pictures. :)

Boysmom

Nov 17, 2011
Atlanta, Georgia
Parrots
Ruby- Solomans Island Grand Eclectus ***
Flora- Panama Amazon
Congrats and Thanks for giving Karma a better home ! It will take time for her to gain your trust, just be patient I agree with the others, start by just sitting by her cage and talking to her and slowly work up from there. She will investigate you when she is ready.

OP
M

MimiN

Jan 13, 2013
Virginia Beach
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw
Thanks so much for the words of hope, but doI leave her in the cage because it is very difficult to get her back in after she is out and I am worried that I might be doing more harm than good by trying to make her step-up. She will step up voluntarily about 1 out of 100 times. I cant leave her out all night for her own safety as we have a terrier.

SandyBee

Oct 5, 2012
Coquitlam BC, Canada
Parrots
DYH Amazon-Rescue- Bosley (36),
African Brown head-Rescue- August(9)
When I got my amazon and he wouldn't be handled I put his training perch right outside his cage door so he could access it freely. It was also for him to feel safe on. It is on wheels and then I could wheel him to other parts of the house when he felt a bit more secure.

Techniques I use to get Bosley back in his cage at first was dimming the lights and putting a favorite treat in there and let him go in on his own.

Also Bosley didn't always love showers and we found that when he had enough of a mist he would retreat back to his cage. Worked great because he would get frequent showers and he would return to cage win, win. we used this when we had to go out early in the day.

At first I only offered him treats and food in his cage that way he always went back when hungry.

There was a few late nights at the beginning, but now it's no issue. I never have him step up to go back to his cage, I make sure he has a path to get there.

Good Luck

OP
M

MimiN

Jan 13, 2013
Virginia Beach
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw
I found that if I dim the lights she remains "frozen" to the spot she is in. I have a training perch and I was tring to use it to get her to step-up but she was not having it yet! If I set the training perch next to the cage she just climbs up on top of the cage and I can not reach her there.

I do sit near her but so far she is still ignoring me and moves as far away as she can, except when I am eating. Then she will come over to see what I am eating and make clucking noises at me. I have fed her off the plate a bit and she seems to really like bread and brussel sprouts.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Use food to your advantage then. Train her to come to you for a reward that she'll enjoy. In that way, you may be able to teach her to step up.

SandyBee

Oct 5, 2012
Coquitlam BC, Canada
Parrots
DYH Amazon-Rescue- Bosley (36),
African Brown head-Rescue- August(9)
Yep use the food and just take the time, she will come to you.
Let her stay on the top for a while, just make sure you have a few hours to spare.
If food that she likes is in her cage she will go when she is hungry.
Also if she comes to your plate its a great time to build trust, let her have some and don't ask anything of her at first. There will be time for training, creating trust and bond needs to come first.

WharfRat

Jul 3, 2012
Central Tx
Parrots
2 Bolivian Green Wings-ReaRea & Miri,
2 Yellow Naped 'Zons- Shiloh & Halo,
Hahn's Macaw-Kalani
I'll tell you about an experience I had with a Macaw at my breeder's house.(We lived a few houses apart) Caesar was a B&G rescue she kept in the house with a female B&G. No, they weren't a breeding pair, but he was mean as Hell and could be handled by no one, not even the breeder. The female was completely opposite and actually went outside quite frequently with her. Anyway, every time I visited I talked to him as much as I could, always wary of that beak. I told the breeder it was gonna be my "mission" to make friends with him and she pretty much laughed it off. I guess it was right at 6 mos. later, Caesar finally let me pet him thru the bars without biting or nipping at me. The breeder was in shock as was her husband when he came home. Sadly it was soon after that we moved away. I've visited there I guess at least 3-4 times since then and he doesn't remember me now. BUT, thru patience and perseverance it CAN be achieved!!! :)

Gardener

Mar 3, 2017
Is Karma still with you? If so, I may be able to give you some insight on her. Maybe.
I once lived with an amazing Blue and Gold who was quite the bird. May or may not be the Karma I knew, but If it is I could pass some good info onto to you about all her favorite activities etc.

Luckyandjenn

Jul 25, 2016
Media
Albums
San deigo ca
Parrots
Lucky
Thanks for taking karma in blue and golds are awsome birds just keep talking to her in low sweet voices deff use the food to your advantage also whilst moving around near her move super slow when i first got lucky my 17 year old b and g he was scared if i moved around to fast
Thats all i can say as of thus far i have only had lucky 7 months aand im still learning everday lol sry i coudnt be of more help

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
Poster hasn't posted in 4.5 years. I don't think you'll get a response :(

SVMagnolia

Feb 15, 2021
I have taken a Macaw into my home as a "rescue". She has plucked most of her lower body feathers off and bites if you try to have her step up. I know she knows how because once in a while she will do it and let me stroke her back and belly. Her name is Karma.

Karma has had several owners, we have no idea how old she is, as she has no leg band and no vet records. We know that she was taken from a "hoarder" who rescued her from a Breeder/Hoarder and who knows before that.

I am prepared to keep her as a permanent member of my family and I know making friends will take some time. I also know it might never happen and I am still prepared to keep her in that event.

I really need some guidance on how to proceed, She is in a new large cage, she will let me treat her and sometimes touch her, but mostly she wants to bite. I do not withdraw my hand when she tries to bite me, i just lower it. She will not step up to come out of the cage. Should I just leave her in it for a few days? She has been out of the cage and we were able to get her back in by being very patient until she would step up but then you have to put her in the cage and quickly sht the door as she tries to escape. I can tell she wants out, but I cannot leave her out all of the time. HELP!!! I have tried moving her to a training perch and practicing step up but it only works when she will allow me to take her off the outside of the cage in the first place which is almost never.

I once loved a female Blue and gold macaw that I named Karma, (because karma bites) Then one day I was diagnosed with a cancer that I was not supposed to recover from. Right after I started treatment, I found no other alternative but to send Karma to her bird sitter, who we had a long and trusted relationship with. The cancer was rough and the treatment rougher. Then one day the bird sitter was evicted from her rental for hoarding birds. I was in ni shape at the time to bring Karma back home, nor was I made fully aware of the bird sitter's circumstances. Several ears later... I am all good. I am in no way wanting to have Karma back in my home, that would be cruel. But it certainly piques my curiosity. Might you have my Karma ? I have no idea where she went or what happened to her once she was removed from possession of the bird sitter. We where on the West Coast at the time. Could she have made her way all the way to Virginia Beach? If this is my Karma I would so very much like to help, in the form of things such as; favorite activities, foods, entertainment etc. Does your Karma often call out "SAAGA!" Saga was our Rottweiler, and Karma loved to call her over to her cage and feed her. There was another dog in the house called "Puck" and often times people thought Karma was "Using the F work" but really she was just calling for Puck. My Karma was mostly a "Free range bird, who was free to have the house. she would go to the door and knock on it with her beak when she wanted to go out, and I nearly always obliged. She loved climbing the trees, and I would join her in this. she loved getting herself up in the Wisteria arbor, and she loved loved loved to take really long showers, and yes in my shower. she never had any trouble verbalizing when she wanted to take a shower, In her gravely voice, "Ake a shourrr" Karma did have an I.D. bracelet on at the time she went to be with the bird sitter. But who knows what may have happened after that. There was one conversation between the bird sitter and myself right during her eviction; I was told that; "If you can not take your bird back, I will make sure you never get her or find her again." This was back in 2010 0r 2011. My Karma had a very distinguished scale off pattern on her beak, and was slightly small for her species. Chicken is her very favorite meal, and she knows it on site, and would often say it, "CHHHIIICCCCCKEnnnnnn...."
My Karma loved cats and calling them. "Here kitty kitty kitty kitty kitty kitty kitt" she would go on in her routine... " I'm gunna eat the cat...!" and "I'm'a cat! " She would always tell me " Goodbye" when I went out the door to work for the day. I don't know... Might be my Karma, might not be. But if she is, I just want to help you figure her out. That's all.

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
..I once loved a female Blue and gold macaw that I named Karma, (because karma bites) ................ Might be my Karma, might not be. But if she is, I just want to help you figure her out. That's all.

That would be so amazing!
Isn’t it nice when the doctors are wrong?

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
I think you all are missing where this post is 8 years old. This OP hasn’t been around in years.

Most Reactions