New owner! Question, advice appriciated <3

ZukiBirb

Aug 14, 2021
Parrots
Lovebird named Adzuki
Hello! For any bird owners who could give me advice, I have had my bird Adzuki for 4 days now and have built up quite a bit of trust, but I'm worried because he hasn't played with any of his toys (from what I've seen) and only occasionally chews on the seagrass toy. Is there a reason? I want him to be healthy when I'm gone.
Advice is very appreciated! <3

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
sometimes it takes awhile for a bird to play with a toy. Both my birds have to have the toy in their cage for awhile before they even consider touching it, then it's a goner in a couple days. Lincoln likes foraging toys so I try to get toys I can stuff almonds into. Maybe try that with your toys? putting a treat of some kind in them for your bird to forage?

OP
ZukiBirb

ZukiBirb

Aug 14, 2021
Parrots
Lovebird named Adzuki
sometimes it takes awhile for a bird to play with a toy. Both my birds have to have the toy in their cage for awhile before they even consider touching it, then it's a goner in a couple days. Lincoln likes foraging toys so I try to get toys I can stuff almonds into. Maybe try that with your toys? putting a treat of some kind in them for your bird to forage?
Great idea! I have a palm tree foraging toy with millet inside, I tried showing it to him but he couldn't figure it out. I may try with more foraging toys. Thanks!

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome to you and Adzuki!! Superb advice above, several of my flock just don't like toys. May take trial and error with different toys, ie wood, foraging, plastic, etc.

fiddlejen

Mar 28, 2019
Media
New England
Parrots
Sunny the Sun Conure (sept '18, gotcha 3/'19). Mr Jefferson Budgie & Mrs Calliope Budgie (albino) (nov'18 & jan'19). Summer 2021 Baby Budgies: Riker (Green); Patchouli, Keye, & Tiny (blue greywings).
Four days is no time at all. Your bird is still getting used to its new home at this point. It can take a while to relax and let its real personality start to shine.

Kentuckienne

Supporting Vendor
Oct 9, 2016
Middle of nowhere (kentuckianna)
Parrots
Roommates include Gus, Blue and gold macaw rescue and Coco, secondhand amazon
Hello! For any bird owners who could give me advice, I have had my bird Adzuki for 4 days now and have built up quite a bit of trust, but I'm worried because he hasn't played with any of his toys (from what I've seen) and only occasionally chews on the seagrass toy. Is there a reason? I want him to be healthy when I'm gone.
Advice is very appreciated! <3
Birds can be afraid of new things. With a toy he’s never seen, start with putting it outside the cage but where he can see it, maybe pick it up and play with it yourself and make happy interested noises. Then gradually move it closer and finally into the cage. Some birds like to tear things, you can give a little piece of paper bag (no colored ink) and if that is appreciated just weave paper strips through the bars, then maybe work up to a soft wood toy that he can chew up. Gus used to have a hard plastic foraging toy, you out a nut or treat in it, but he just swung it around until it hit him in the head and then he hated it and attacked it. We gave it to Coco with nut and she set right to work figuring it out. Oliver used to have a little bell he would hold by the handle and ring like he had a Salvation Army kettle to fill. Point is, every bird is different, and you just have to figure out what floats their little boat. Oliver would play catch, too, with a small rolled up sock, catch it and toss it back and say wheee!

Most Reactions

Latest posts