New parrot owner, I need advice please!

Cay3954

Feb 16, 2022
Texas
Parrots
Catalina macaw
Hi, so I got a catalina macaw a few months ago as a gift (well shes mostly my grandmas parrot, however my grandma is not so happy she had been given the parrot without asking since we have 3 dogs) and she screams a lot. If someone is on the phone, she screams. If she is by herself, she screams. She also doesn’t let anyone sweep/mop due to her previous owner’s actions. She also paces side to side a lot on the top of her cage. We try music, it sometimes helps but she gets tired of some songs and starts screaming. Is there any way to properly train her to scream less? She screams pretty loud so my grandparents worry about noise complaints. Any help is accepted, thank you! :)

Other notes:
She also has a habit of throwing all her food on the floor.
She likes to chew on the chains that hold up her toys rather than the actual toy, or chews around the area that is holding up the toy. Any toy recommendations?

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
What is she eating? Can you show the setup? How old is the bird?
Macaws are a huuge commitment and I’m sorry you were put into this situation. If you can’t care for her then maybe consider rehoming.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Hello,
Glad you found us!
When lots of people come together, there are often lots if ideas to try and sometimes helps your creative thinking too.

Parrots are a lot of work to keep mind, body , and emotional happiness. But they also can be amazing and extraordinary if you can get that balance.

Sometimes you have to help show them they ways and make changes yourself.

This video i love. Because doing foraging together can be so rewarding and stimulation for them and you! Often its best to start with treats, and make very very simple. But then as tgey catch in you can make more challenging. And once they learn to feel do proud at figuring it out and getting praise and treats. You can start setting up some stuff like that to do in their cage.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Creating a routine helps them. Also something thst helps is always greet them when you get up, its an important time for parrots to confirm everyone survived the night , and affirm bonds before day starts. Also telling them goodbye when leaving abd hello when you return, everyone in the house should do this. As a flock creatures they need to know who is around and who is missing. Really helps with their frustration of people appearing and disappearing

Setting them up for success and anticipate screaming trigger. And for being on the phone thsts true for many of our parrots. If you are taking a phone call give them a slice of apple, before screaming, or a nut. I had a bird who attacked me and my phone. So I worked on postive associations. I held the phone and kept giving treats, pretended to talk gave treats, until the phone became a good thing. Then I didn't need treats.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
Welcome!

I am so happy that you're here. This Community will stick with you. GOOD FOR YOU that you are reaching out...

Noise is the #1 challenge for many species and individuals... my Patagonian Conure is a prime example. This place will help you explore possibilities and solutions...

Again, welcome!

9lhIlM0.jpg

OP
C

Cay3954

Feb 16, 2022
Texas
Parrots
Catalina macaw
Could you post a pic of her setup? How old is she?
Screenshot_20220216-220349_Gallery.jpg

This is her set up, my grandma figured this would be a good spot so she can have some sunlight. This is also the main area of the house. (Living room, kitchen, etc.) I am not sure how old she is, I will have to look at her papers.

OP
C

Cay3954

Feb 16, 2022
Texas
Parrots
Catalina macaw
What is she eating? Can you show the setup? How old is the bird?
Macaws are a huuge commitment and I’m sorry you were put into this situation. If you can’t care for her then maybe consider rehoming.
I believe she eats "Fiesta macaw food" by the brand Kaytee. We change it every now and then due to some shortages of the usual brand we get. She mostly loves to eat seeds, peanuts, banana chips, and fresh fruit. We try not to give her too many of one thing though. Not sure of her age, I will have to look at her papers that contain her info. I overall have a good relationship with her, and my grandma loves her as well to the point that shes attached. But we do both agree that having to take care of her and 3 dogs is overwhelming.

OP
C

Cay3954

Feb 16, 2022
Texas
Parrots
Catalina macaw
Welcome!

I am so happy that you're here. This Community will stick with you. GOOD FOR YOU that you are reaching out...

Noise is the #1 challenge for many species and individuals... my Patagonian Conure is a prime example. This place will help you explore possibilities and solutions...

Again, welcome!

9lhIlM0.jpg
Thank you for replying! I'm receiving many replies to this which is great and very helpful! :)

OP
C

Cay3954

Feb 16, 2022
Texas
Parrots
Catalina macaw
Creating a routine helps them. Also something thst helps is always greet them when you get up, its an important time for parrots to confirm everyone survived the night , and affirm bonds before day starts. Also telling them goodbye when leaving abd hello when you return, everyone in the house should do this. As a flock creatures they need to know who is around and who is missing. Really helps with their frustration of people appearing and disappearing

Setting them up for success and anticipate screaming trigger. And for being on the phone thsts true for many of our parrots. If you are taking a phone call give them a slice of apple, before screaming, or a nut. I had a bird who attacked me and my phone. So I worked on postive associations. I held the phone and kept giving treats, pretended to talk gave treats, until the phone became a good thing. Then I didn't need treats.

Oh thank you! She really does not like being alone, ever since we got her we had trouble going places due to paranoia of receiving noise complaints. Her old owner received multiple when he had her, which is one reason why he was selling her. I'll definitely discuss these all with my grandparents.

OP
C

Cay3954

Feb 16, 2022
Texas
Parrots
Catalina macaw
Hello,
Glad you found us!
When lots of people come together, there are often lots if ideas to try and sometimes helps your creative thinking too.

Parrots are a lot of work to keep mind, body , and emotional happiness. But they also can be amazing and extraordinary if you can get that balance.

Sometimes you have to help show them they ways and make changes yourself.

This video i love. Because doing foraging together can be so rewarding and stimulation for them and you! Often its best to start with treats, and make very very simple. But then as tgey catch in you can make more challenging. And once they learn to feel do proud at figuring it out and getting praise and treats. You can start setting up some stuff like that to do in their cage.
Ooh, I'll definitely watch this video! I definitely want to be more interactive with her since she mostly just sits around on her perch making random sounds and being bored. Thank you for the suggestion! :)

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Parrots especially macaw need lots of different stuff to chew and destroy of different texture and hardness. Some toys you can make yourself out of bird safe material.

You will want to add some different perches from natural wood or sold for parrots. You can even attach a bunch of stuff to the outside top of the cage to give him a place to hang out.

And make toys and use some for chewing.
Here is an article that lists safe wood.

And another, one column is unsafe so read carefully.

Here is another thread, that a macaw owner is asking for toy ideas

Last edited:

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Hi and welcome. Some great suggestions for you above. I will add my thoughts and comments, but these just suggestions for you.
1. AS you know a seed and nut diet is not healthy for any parrot, so efforts to transition to a veggie diet should start ( aim for 70% or more veggies, 20 % or less fruit and 10% nuts and seeds). THis will be much heathier for your macaw and the reduction of seed/nuts will get more nutrients into him, and the reduced fruits should help calm him down. Fruots have a lot of sugar, and like young children amp'ed up on high sugar, parrots with lots of sugars have an excess of un-expended energy.

2. More toys!! Toys for parrots means stuff for them to chew and destroy. Commercial toys for macaws are EXPENSIVE!! A great suggestion is to visit the local Home Depot or other DIY store or lumber yard and ask for the cut offs that they are going to just throw out anyway. Only select the solid pine, free of knots. The lumber manager will very likely not even charge for these cast off pieces, and you can point out that your saving them the cost of throwing them out, saving space in thier dumpsters. A good incentive is a nice picture of your Macaw !!
All you will need then is a drill, a drill bit and a length of stainless steel chain to hang these roughly 6" + long pieces for him to play with.

Note if your macaw doesn't presently play and chew up toys, you may need to actually SHOW him how to do this (its not uncommon). You handle the pieces, make like your chewing them, while making all sorts of excited and happy sounds. This does work!

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
View attachment 35903
This is her set up, my grandma figured this would be a good spot so she can have some sunlight. This is also the main area of the house. (Living room, kitchen, etc.) I am not sure how old she is, I will have to look at her papers.
That cage is quite small to be honest. If you can, try giving her a small indoor/outdoor aviary at the very leas. The cage is very empty, so please add some natural perches(Smooth dowel/plastic can hurt their feet and cause infections), and some shreddeble toys(Laura already gave some links to that). The advice by Wrench is very useful, I recommend you listen to his advice. Peanuts, sunflowers seeds, dry fruit.. all of these are only to be used as training/foraging treats:)

OP
C

Cay3954

Feb 16, 2022
Texas
Parrots
Catalina macaw
Parrots especially macaw need lots of different stuff to chew and destroy of different texture and hardness. Some toys you can make yourself out of bird safe material.

You will want to add some different perches from natural wood or sold for parrots. You can even attach a bunch of stuff to the outside top of the cage to give him a place to hang out.

And make toys and use some for chewing.
Here is an article that lists safe wood.

And another, one column is unsafe so read carefully.

Here is another thread, that a macaw owner is asking for toy ideas
Thank you so much for the articles and thread! My grandparents and I occasionally struggle finding good toys for her, especially since she tears through them very quickly. Very much appreciated!

OP
C

Cay3954

Feb 16, 2022
Texas
Parrots
Catalina macaw
Hi and welcome. Some great suggestions for you above. I will add my thoughts and comments, but these just suggestions for you.
1. AS you know a seed and nut diet is not healthy for any parrot, so efforts to transition to a veggie diet should start ( aim for 70% or more veggies, 20 % or less fruit and 10% nuts and seeds). THis will be much heathier for your macaw and the reduction of seed/nuts will get more nutrients into him, and the reduced fruits should help calm him down. Fruots have a lot of sugar, and like young children amp'ed up on high sugar, parrots with lots of sugars have an excess of un-expended energy.

2. More toys!! Toys for parrots means stuff for them to chew and destroy. Commercial toys for macaws are EXPENSIVE!! A great suggestion is to visit the local Home Depot or other DIY store or lumber yard and ask for the cut offs that they are going to just throw out anyway. Only select the solid pine, free of knots. The lumber manager will very likely not even charge for these cast off pieces, and you can point out that your saving them the cost of throwing them out, saving space in thier dumpsters. A good incentive is a nice picture of your Macaw !!
All you will need then is a drill, a drill bit and a length of stainless steel chain to hang these roughly 6" + long pieces for him to play with.

Note if your macaw doesn't presently play and chew up toys, you may need to actually SHOW him how to do this (its not uncommon). You handle the pieces, make like your chewing them, while making all sorts of excited and happy sounds. This does work!
Thank you so much for these suggestions! Most of the food we buy her from the store contains mostly seeds/nuts, so I'll definitely try to lean more towards the diet you suggested. She definitely loves to chew/destroy wood, so I'll try to find some that is safe for her. Thank you! :)

OP
C

Cay3954

Feb 16, 2022
Texas
Parrots
Catalina macaw
That cage is quite small to be honest. If you can, try giving her a small indoor/outdoor aviary at the very leas. The cage is very empty, so please add some natural perches(Smooth dowel/plastic can hurt their feet and cause infections), and some shreddeble toys(Laura already gave some links to that). The advice by Wrench is very useful, I recommend you listen to his advice. Peanuts, sunflowers seeds, dry fruit.. all of these are only to be used as training/foraging treats:)
I do agree that the cage is small. The original owner gave it to us saying it's for macaws, however there are 4 bowl-holders and a little door, so I am guessing the cage is originally for smaller birds. If the bowl-holders weren't there I feel there would be more space to put more toys and perches. But I will take up on your suggestions! Thank you so much! :)

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
I do agree that the cage is small. The original owner gave it to us saying it's for macaws, however there are 4 bowl-holders and a little door, so I am guessing the cage is originally for smaller birds. If the bowl-holders weren't there I feel there would be more space to put more toys and perches. But I will take up on your suggestions! Thank you so much! :)
You're welcome! Good luck with your macaw:)

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
To lessen screaming, first we adress the whole parrot, cage, time out of cage, diet, activities.

If we don't meet those needs first its very difficult to curb screaming . Infact most behavior issues arise from one or all of these factors.

It's so much we are all throwing at you at once, lol a crash course!!! You are being amazingly receptive and eager to learn.

On diet, its best to go slow and watch weight. A digital kitchen scale works for most of us. Some burds will starve themselves or only eat small amount and drop weight quickly.

There are guides out there and different ways to try. For me , at first I don't limit whatever they were eating. I just add everything I want them to eat, offered in different dishes. And I fund they explore veggies better out of the cage sbd offered spread out in shallow dishes, or hung up like kabobs, they sell parrot burd skewers fir veggies. This dangling of veggies at head height really gets mine attention and chomps.

Most Reactions

Latest posts