New Parrotlet Food

ApolloM

Feb 26, 2018
Parrots
Blue Pacific Parrotlet
hatch date: 1/9/18
Hey guys, so I am buying a blue parrotlet and I pick him up on Saturday. I am getting everything ready so I have a vision M02 cage and plenty of toys. I just bought a small bag of kaytee bird seed with a blue bag and some roudybush crumble. I know about the risk of pellets with mutations so I definitely want seeds. I am not sure which one to buy next, a good brand. What do you guys feed your parrotlets?

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Bumble - Pacific (or Celestial) Parrotlet hatched 02/19/17
I feed Bumble Harrison’s adult fine pellets and Volkmann’s parrotlet blend seed. I’m probably going to switch seed though-the Volkmann’s is mostly safflower and I’d like her to get more variety. I spoke to my CAV (certified avian vet) when I brought Bumble home specifically about “no pellets” and she wasn’t aware of any hard science to back that up. She said parrotlets should get seed but probably only about 20% of their diet.

I also feed her chop that varies but is usually some blend of brown rice, quinoa, sweet potato, peppers, greens, other veggies, red pepper flakes, corn, green beans, etc. I make that in a big batch and freeze into 2-3 day portions. Then daily I add other stuff which can be carrots, peas, spinach, fresh herbs, berries (fresh or frozen-thawed), other fruit depending on what’s in season or what I wanted that week.

If you don’t already, make an appointment for a “well baby check” with a CAV. They can give you lots of information on diet, care, enrichment, etc. and it’s nice to already have that relationship in place when you need it.

Glad you’re here and can’t wait to see pics of your little one! [emoji170][emoji170]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Look at the Abba line, especially Abba Soak Seed

Where do you get it? I looked at their website but their shipping was astronomical.

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Look at the Abba line, especially Abba Soak Seed

Where do you get it? I looked at their website but their shipping was astronomical.
For me, a local store in Orlando, The Bird Store, carries it.
I have now convinced a shop up here in Knoxville (temp job) to start carrying it!

Ugh I haven’t seen it locally but I’ll keep looking!

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
Ugh I haven’t seen it locally but I’ll keep looking!
Print out some information on it, and bring it to your local shop and do your best to talk them in to carrying it! Explain that with this soak seed Abba’s approach is to have minerals mixed with it that allows the seed to absorb the minerals as they sprout, increasing their nutritional value!

Aquila

Nov 19, 2012
Philadelphia
Parrots
Sydney - Blue Front Amazon
Gonzo - Congo African Grey
Willow - Cockatiel
RIP:
Snowy, Ivy, Kiwi, Ghost - Parakeets
Berry - Cinnamon GCC
I really like Abba's soak seed too, and I feed my parrotlets Goden'obles III, the small beak formula. Probably the smallest pellet I've found. Managed to cold turkey convert my new parrotlet from seed in a matter of a day which makes me happy!

Most Reactions

Latest posts