New Proud Parrot Owner!

RobynnLynne

Jul 1, 2019
Nestled in the beautiful mountains of Perry County
Parrots
Mr. Sunshine, a 15 to 20 year old Panama Amazon Parrot.
Hi I'm Robynn and I'm very happy to be part of this forum. I am a 61 year old widowed and disabled woman and live with my sweet service dog Taffee.

I have had parakeets and cockatiels many moons ago and enjoyed them very much. I was even lucky enough to buy a pair of cockatiel 'girls' that mated, lol! I didn't know much and didn't have the internet back then so I assumed the first eggs were not fertile. After a trip to the library I suspected I didn't have girls but a mating pair. I put in a mating box. They mated twice and we successfully raised 5 baby cockatiels. It was a fascinating experience I will never forget.

Fast forward to four weeks ago and my neighbor who works for the humane league asked if I would like to adopt a 12 year old double yellow headed african parrot. She told me she knew a little of Sunshine's history and he had not been out of his cage for at least 5 years if not more from a couple who surrendered him and had adopted him from a doctor's office. They said they never trusted to get him out of the cage and he was unpredictable.

Prior to that he lived in a doctors office for a few years until he got his foot caught in a toy somewhere between Friday evening and Monday morning when they were able to take him to the vet. They said he chewed his foot off to get free.

We know nothing of his history before then.

I then spent two weeks researching Amazon parrots and their needs to see if I could provide Sunshine a good home. I looked at all; the good, the bad, and the ugly. The worst case scenario being that I would not be able to tame him but could provide a good safe environment, stability and love. The best case that we could bond and we could learn to trust each other.

So, two weeks ago Mr. Sunshine came to live with Taffee and I. :green:

He needs a healthier diet first. He lives mainly on sunflower seeds and peanuts. So making the switch to pellets, grains and fresh fruits and veggies is what I am working on now. And next to try positive reinforcement with the clicker method. I look at that beak and I really do not want to get bit. But I want him to trust me as much as I want to trust him.

I haven't stopped reading and learning. Last night I found this wonderful forum. I am very excited to begin this journey and help Mr. Sunshine have the best life I can provide him with. I have already gleaned very much from this site and didn't have to ask one question yet.

This morning was so rewarding. I open his cage door and leave it open for about an hour each morning after I do his cage while I do my chores. This morning he came right out, sat on the door and just scoped out his new home for nearly ten minutes before going back in. I think he's getting pretty comfortable.

Thanks! I look forward to getting to know you all!
robynnlynne-albums-mr-sunshine-taffee-my-service-dog-picture21492-i-love-he-s-not-camera-shy-cos-i-love-taking-pictures.jpg

robynnlynne-albums-mr-sunshine-taffee-my-service-dog-picture21489-taffee-baby-bird-sitting.jpg

Last edited:

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Hello & welcome to the forum!
I'm so happy you adopted Sunshine! It sounds like you are already making wonderful progress.
I'm not sure if you have seen this thread yet, but there is some fantastic information in it!
http://www.parrotforums.com/amazons/65119-i-love-amazons-going-journey.html

I'm really happy you joined us and I would love to see pictures of Sunshine & Taffee:)

OP
RobynnLynne

RobynnLynne

Jul 1, 2019
Parrots
Thank you Terry57. I had not seen that thread yet. It looks like an excellent thread for me!
I am not quite sure how to upload pictures of Taffee and Mr. Sunshine yet. But will as soon as I figure it out.

Blessings!

Jen5200

Mar 27, 2017
Media
Albums
Washington State
Parrots
Baby - Sun Conure;
Tango - GCC;
Bindi - Sun Conure;
Stanley - Pineapple GCC;
Screamer “Scree� - Cockatiel;
Tee - Pineapple GCC; Jimmy - Cockatiel
Welcome to you! Looking forward to hearing more :)

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome, thanks for a lovely introduction! You've already made a tremendous difference in Mr. Sunshine's life, looking forward to the next chapters!

munami

Apr 13, 2019
Ottawa, ON
Parrots
Luna // F // Whiteface Pearl Cockatiel
That's amazing! I really am excited to hear the rest of your on going story! Even the worst outcome sounds like you can make a great deal of difference in Mr. Sunshine's life. Welcome to the forum Robynn, Taffee, and Mr. Sunshine!!

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Hello Robynn, Taffee & Mr. Sunshine! Welcome to the forums! Thank you for an inspiring introduction and Mr. Sunshine’s incredible story. We’re very happy to have the three of you join us.

OP
RobynnLynne

RobynnLynne

Jul 1, 2019
Parrots
robynnlynne-albums-mr-sunshine-taffee-my-service-dog-picture21492-i-love-he-s-not-camera-shy-cos-i-love-taking-pictures.jpg
robynnlynne-albums-mr-sunshine-taffee-my-service-dog-picture21489-taffee-baby-bird-sitting.jpg

This picture was taken on Mr. sunshine's first day. You can see his right foot has no talons or nails from whatever happened in that lonely doctors office. His left nails are way too long. I have been looking at his cage layout as I am worried his disfigured foot will cause him problems. Although he gets around very well on it and he is very active.

The second picture is Taffee with one of the baby birds from last spring. She would watch them for me. I can't wait to get a pic of Taffee and Mr. Sunshine together. I have their first introduction but it's not a good pic like I want, lol. I have that and more pics now in my first photo album.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
Welcome. You are my/our kinda folks. I'm so glad you're here. You have a heart the size of Pennsylvania, don't you??? Maybe bigger. I can't wait to follow your journey.

9lhIlM0.jpg

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Welcome and be welcomed.
Sunshine appears to be a yellow front amazon, instead of a double yellow head. At 12 years old, a DYH should have a full yellow head and part of his neck too. No worries, yellow fronts are excellent parrots, and maybe not as hot tempered as a DYH, who are a part of the "hot 3" of amazons. Yellow fronts are considered by some in their native area as the parrot of choice to be a companion. In your reading on here make SURE to read the stickie on amazon body language, in fact read it several times, out loud to Sunshine. Not only will you remember it better, but amazons LOVE to be read to, and will get him used to your voice.

OP
RobynnLynne

RobynnLynne

Jul 1, 2019
Parrots
Welcome and be welcomed.
Sunshine appears to be a yellow front amazon, instead of a double yellow head. At 12 years old, a DYH should have a full yellow head and part of his neck too.

Thank you SO much! I would have never figured that out. I am fascinated and will love learning about my yellow front amazon! I won't be surprised to find out down the line that he is a Miss Sunshine, either, lol!

And, yes, he loves to be read to, but I love the idea of reading the body language to him. It will make me super sensitive and aware visually! Super tip...thank you.

Ramble

Jul 4, 2019
Now in the beautiful Midwest!
Parrots
Bertie, the feisty, 17-yr-old, road-trippin’, green cheek conure
Mr. Sunshine is a good looking guy! And I love it when someone is willing to give a second chance to a critter. They really deserve it!
I'm looking forward to hearing more about your adventures!

Dee

Last edited:

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Welcome! Thank you for the rescue/rehoming!!!! What a big heart and wonderful soul you have!!!
I think he will do fine with his foot. Offer some wide perches so he can rest the feet, and several perches of different type and diameter. It's common for most to err with to small a diameter perches, especially for medium to large Parrots. My Quakers prefer the large perches that are sold for bigger birds.
I hear Amazon like to EAT, lol, so hopefully I he will give those veggies a try!!!
Warm welcome to you!

Most Reactions