New Quaker Owner

Lancilou

Aug 4, 2022
Parrots
Quaker
Hello all!
I'm a first time Quaker owner, I did a lot of research before deciding that a Quaker would be the perfect breed for our family.
So today we had our beautiful new baby Norman delivered, he's nearly 5 months old and not hand tame.
The bird courier service brought him in and settled him into his new cage, and I'm just after some advice over the next few days please?
So far he seems quite distressed which is understandable and expected, he's screaming alot and puffing up his feathers along with plucking. He has sat himself up on the highest perch and that seems to be his go to when he gets startled. I know it going to take him a while but any advice for these next few days would be much appreciated.
Thank you x

Attachments

• IMG_20220804_144858232.jpg
    IMG_20220804_144858232.jpg
    275.6 KB · Views: 82

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
Best advice I have is don't use your hands around the bird. Wear something long sleeve, and pull the cuffs over your fingers so it looks like a cloth stub. The bird will be much more happy with this presentation as they are VERY hand shy (at first, it goes away once you build trust and give treats).

OP
Lancilou

Lancilou

Aug 4, 2022
Parrots
Quaker
Best advice I have is don't use your hands around the bird. Wear something long sleeve, and pull the cuffs over your fingers so it looks like a cloth stub. The bird will be much more happy with this presentation as they are VERY hand shy (at first, it goes away once you build trust and give treats).
Thank you šŸ˜Š

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
Thank me after it works.....I'll stake my name its effective. Also.....treats

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
You need to start making friends with Norman and the best way to start that is offering treats. My Quaker likes popcorn, small bits of dried fruit, tiny bits of cheese, sunflower seedsā€¦. Offer different things and see what he likes. And in this case I would suggest to offer the treats from your bare hands so Norman learns that hands give food.

Eventually Norman can learn that hands give wonderful head and neck scritches and beak rubs. Many quakers are very cuddly and want pets.

I have been stepping my Quaker up onto a towel (over my hand) since he would push the stick away or bite it. Now heā€™s decided to sometimes come out onto his door and then I can step him up onto my hand. Iā€™m giving him treats for doing that.

Do you know if your bird was hand fed by people or raised by his parents? If he was hand fed it will be easier to make friends with him. He sounds pretty stressed if heā€™s picking his feathers so if he wonā€™t take the treats, donā€™t press it . Just talk nicely to him and leave them for him.

I have a friendly blue male Quaker named Willow who is quite tame and sweet. Heā€™s about 9 and he was wild before he came to me two yrs ago. I have clipped his wings because I live in an apartment and I donā€™t want him flying into the frying pan or the toilet. I have a few threads about Willow under the Quaker subforum.

Before Willow, I had a green Quaker for 22+ yrs named Lucy, who was very tame and outgoing and talked a lot. And before that a green Quaker named Gonzo for 4 yrs. I like Quaker parakeets a lot!!

Thereā€™s a club for people who have Quaker parakeets called the Quaker Parakeet society. (QPS) which Iā€™ve been in for almost all of its existence. You can check it out online.

Welcome to the forum! Ask away!

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
late to the party but welcome home Norman!!!

How are things going now?

I'm also a quaker lover abd have had 4, currently 3 girls from different backgrounds and ages from 15, 5, and 2 years old.

I think its much easier to have them step out to a perch attached outside the cage by the door and then to you. As many can be very cage protective. I also turn the outside if the cage into one of their play areas by attaching lots if perces. Chew stuff toys and treat and water dishes .

For new arrivals I'm always trying to have them come out and explore. I shove a comfy chair sideways next to cage, have my entertainment snacks and drink and I have snacks ready to offer them like millet spray, apple slice or safflower seeds. Then I open the door, if I can I offer a treat, if not ready I just do my own thing and occasionally sweet talk them or offer something. My hope us they will climb out , and eventually climb around on me and I hand out stuff. I prepared to hang out fir a couple if hours if needed but not focused completely on them. If they come out and are spooked and fly off. I wait till they land, never chase, and then I'm all poor baby let me rescue you. Often they will want to be rescued will step up to you or you can scoop them up and sweet talk them as you walk them back to cage and place them on top. If they take off again as you come to save them, stop dont speak. When tgey land again give them a second then walk camly towards them again sweet talk and rescue. Repeat as needed till you rescue or they self rescue by landing on cage. Dint worry they will tire quickly and you will be able to rescue. Be patient dont get worked up. Try to have home as safe as possible before letting them out and plenty of time to work every thing out.

Last edited:

Most Reactions