New rehomed quaker

Bannlove

Jul 24, 2021
Parrots
Quaker
So I just rescued a Quaker Odin he didn?t have a name and don?t know if male or female. So Odin it is. Odin doesn?t like fruit or veggies I still offer multiple times a day in Odins bowl. Odin will trick you and act like he will step up and then bite you. Odin will also fly around the house away from me when I let him out. I follow and try to get him to step up and when I do manage to get him he won?t let me pet him or play with him. I have managed to get him to sit on my shoulder for a few minutes then off he goes again. I?m pretty new to birds and have been learning a lot. I?m a stay at home dad so I spend all day talking to him and getting him out and trying to play with him. Note he doesn?t really bite me hard. It?s more of a leave me alone type thing. He wasn?t in the best environment when I got him small cage no toys. Note he also won?t play with toys. He just sits in his cage on a rope when he is in his cage. Curious what the pros would do to help him bond with me. He does like me over the rest of the people in the house as he won?t let them touch him at all. Hate women also.But know he is a sweet bird and I love him and getting rid of him is out of the question. Just looking for some tips. Thank you

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
Hi! Become a trustworthy friend! The way you explain it, you are being a pest! With good intentions, but, a pest!

OP
B

Bannlove

Jul 24, 2021
Parrots
Quaker
Not sure how I?m being a pest. I attempt to get him to do something if he isn?t into it I leave him be for a few then go back. I?m not constantly messing with him. I let him have time by himself out just talking to him. You didn?t really answer my questions. Calling a pest don?t really tell me what I?m doing wrong and how to correct my behavior as stated I?m new to bird owning and willing to put in the work to fix myself and help him adjust the best. I just want to help him overcome his fears.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome to you and Odin! How long in your home, any idea of age?

Please know there is a process of acclimation and "honeymoon" period. I'll begin by sharing advice assuming Odin is fairly new to you. Work at his pace, recognizing huge adjustment in his life. Providing a special treat such as bits of almond or walnut in small quantity helpful as reward for good behavior. Begin by building trust, leading to durable bond. Food is critical for health, ideally a diet biased towards fresh veggies + some fruit, supplemented by quality pellet or sparing quantities of seeds. Biting a form of control, thankfully Odin does not draw blood. Use caution with flight, some parrots awkward and crash into walls/mirrors/windows and seek open doors or screens. Overall, seems Odin "chose" you yet living in mixed household requires tolerance for family members. That said, a few forum links for details!
http://www.parrotforums.com/general-parrot-information/49144-tips-bonding-building-trust.html
http://www.parrotforums.com/training/63988-bite-pressure-training.html
http://www.parrotforums.com/parrot-...7-converting-parrots-healthier-diet-tips.html
http://www.parrotforums.com/parrot-...afe-fresh-foods-toxic-food-lists-sprouts.html

OP
B

Bannlove

Jul 24, 2021
Parrots
Quaker
They didn?t know how old he was. He seems to be young I?d say a year or 2. I have had him less than 1 week. I had his wings trimmed today and he is doing a lot better. He is sitting on the couch with me and eating watermelon. He also took some nuts and ate them as well. He likes to be high up. So he climbed up my curtains. He was out all day I put him up for a few hours as I had to run out. When I came back he danced around the cage to be let out. So small steps it seems as tho he is warming up some.

OP
B

Bannlove

Jul 24, 2021
Parrots
Quaker
Update. Odin has started clicker training and is doing well. He is spoiled and the bond is increasing. He has let me pet him and climbs on me now. Quakers are cage aggressive so he will play with me once out. We let him come out on his own. He stays out all day. Little steps

Most Reactions

Latest posts