New Ring Neck Mom

RebelEgger

Apr 17, 2023
Parrots
Indian Ring Neck
Hello everyone!

I am a new bird mom, I did have a cockatiel many (20ish) years ago, but I have forgotten anything I may have known then!

I adopted a 4-year-old female Indian Ring Neck, she moved in today. Her previous owner who loved her very much made the hard decision to rehome her as her 2 conures were bullying her.

I made 4 visits to her house before she moved in so she could get used to my voice and presence a little so she didn't have to move in with a complete stranger.

She does not talk, apparently, she whistles, I heard maybe a bit of that today but she has been screeching a lot trying to convince me to let her out, which I am not going to do until she has been here for a few days.

She is eating well and preening, she will take treats from me through the cage bars but if my hand goes near it without food, she gives a little hiss and backs away. I'm just trying to give her space and let her observe me.

I will have many questions I am sure, any extra advice on how to establish a bond with her is appreciated. Once I let her out I was going to introduce her to a clicker for training and try to use that as a way to build a bond and trust. I don't even know what to teach her yet!

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Hello everyone!

I am a new bird mom, I did have a cockatiel many (20ish) years ago, but I have forgotten anything I may have known then!

I adopted a 4-year-old female Indian Ring Neck, she moved in today. Her previous owner who loved her very much made the hard decision to rehome her as her 2 conures were bullying her.

I made 4 visits to her house before she moved in so she could get used to my voice and presence a little so she didn't have to move in with a complete stranger.

She does not talk, apparently, she whistles, I heard maybe a bit of that today but she has been screeching a lot trying to convince me to let her out, which I am not going to do until she has been here for a few days.

She is eating well and preening, she will take treats from me through the cage bars but if my hand goes near it without food, she gives a little hiss and backs away. I'm just trying to give her space and let her observe me.

I will have many questions I am sure, any extra advice on how to establish a bond with her is appreciated. Once I let her out I was going to introduce her to a clicker for training and try to use that as a way to build a bond and trust. I don't even know what to teach her yet!
So happy you adopted her šŸ˜Š

She is probably hissing at you when you donā€™t have food because she doesnā€™t trust you quite yet.
The best thing you can do is begin, and I mean slowly since youā€™ve had her just a day, sheā€™s probably scared and nervous, to get her to associate you with good things.
Many people like to designate a treat bowl that they drop a favorite treat into when they enter the room so the bird starts to learn that good things come from you.
When sheā€™s ready to start training, I recommend beginning with target training as this can be a helpful way to get her to go where you need or want her to go without force.
Learning tricks isnā€™t necessary but it challenges a birds mind.
Iā€™ve taught my GCC and Quaker a few different tricks other than targeting like spin, wave, flipping around a perch, giving a kiss and recall training.

OP
RebelEgger

RebelEgger

Apr 17, 2023
Parrots
Indian Ring Neck
So happy you adopted her šŸ˜Š

She is probably hissing at you when you donā€™t have food because she doesnā€™t trust you quite yet.
The best thing you can do is begin, and I mean slowly since youā€™ve had her just a day, sheā€™s probably scared and nervous, to get her to associate you with good things.
Many people like to designate a treat bowl that they drop a favorite treat into when they enter the room so the bird starts to learn that good things come from you.
When sheā€™s ready to start training, I recommend beginning with target training as this can be a helpful way to get her to go where you need or want her to go without force.
Learning tricks isnā€™t necessary but it challenges a birds mind.
Iā€™ve taught my GCC and Quaker a few different tricks other than targeting like spin, wave, flipping around a perch, giving a kiss and recall training.
Thank you for the reply @zERo.
Yes, I'm sure she is scared and unsure, I would be!
She does have a designated treat bowl which I used, and she happily ate her pepper seeds, took peas from my fingers and a piece of banana.
I will definitely start with target training, I don't really care if she does tricks, I just want her to come to me when I need her to and go back in her cage without a fight when I need her to. Anything beyond that is gravy.
She doesn't shy away if I approach the cage and she was making some happy-sounding
IMG_4610.jpg
chirps and whistles earlier.
We are just quietly hanging out out now, she's watching me very closely. It's been a big day for both of us.

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Thank you for the reply @zERo.
Yes, I'm sure she is scared and unsure, I would be!
She does have a designated treat bowl which I used, and she happily ate her pepper seeds, took peas from my fingers and a piece of banana.
I will definitely start with target training, I don't really care if she does tricks, I just want her to come to me when I need her to and go back in her cage without a fight when I need her to. Anything beyond that is gravy.
She doesn't shy away if I approach the cage and she was making some happy-soundingView attachment 49685 chirps and whistles earlier.
We are just quietly hanging out out now, she's watching me very closely. It's been a big day for both of us.
Sheā€™s so pretty šŸ˜
I love the mix of blue and green!

Was she able to step up in her previous home?

OP
RebelEgger

RebelEgger

Apr 17, 2023
Parrots
Indian Ring Neck
Sheā€™s so pretty šŸ˜
I love the mix of blue and green!

Was she able to step up in her previous home?
Yes she can step up (and did it for me 2x during my visits, although I think begrudgingly! lol)
She has displayed some hormonal behaviour with her previous mama, and has another behaviour I am curious about. I will get a video a post it in the behaviour forrm.

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Yes she can step up (and did it for me 2x during my visits, although I think begrudgingly! lol)
She has displayed some hormonal behaviour with her previous mama, and has another behaviour I am curious about. I will get a video a post it in the behaviour forrm.
At least sheā€™ll do that! Whatā€™s her name?

OP
RebelEgger

RebelEgger

Apr 17, 2023
Parrots
Indian Ring Neck
What a lovely name, well I hope she settles in well to her new home šŸ˜Š
Thanks, me too! I feel bad for her being shifted around. We will give her the best care we can though!

ThatBikeLady

Mar 11, 2023
Parrots
Pinky & the Brain, a blue with a white face and a grey-green with a yellow face, respectively
Niya is a gorgeous bird! I'm sure she'll grow to be super happy with you.

Most Reactions

Latest posts