New roof?

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Hello again!
I am getting a bit worried because the roof is getting redone.
I plan to have Noodles out on the days when the roofing is taking place and I will have non-ionizing, true HEPA filters running throughout the house during the process.

My BIGGEST concern is the possibility of smells /fumes from the roof.
Has anyone gotten a new roof and if so, how was your experience?

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Having Noodles out of the house is a great idea as the greatest concern is the NOISE.

Having a new roof installed is as near zero toxic issue there is with home upgrades. 98% out door activity with a product that does not off-gas during or after the installation. No, you do not want Noodles sampling the cuttings, but that should be cleaned-up before you return.

Please remember to assure that the proper underlayment is placed correctly as that is your real assurance of limited too near zero leaks. Also assure that the underlayment is removed at the very top of the roof so that the venting works properly.

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
I live in the upper Midwest US and had my asphalt shingle roof replaced a couple years ago (mentioned because my roof material and process might be totally different than yours - no liquid materials were used in mine, just lots of nails and sheets of wood/shingles). I didn't have a parrot yet, but no noticeable smells inside and I don't remember my air monitor/purifier showing a big increase in particulates.

OP
N

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
I read about tar and the underlay (whatever that is called...) Thanks though. I hope I have no fume issues and that anyone who has replies!

Most Reactions