New Tank

apatrimo94

Jun 15, 2010
Media
Hudson Valley, New York
Parrots
Bartleby-Pearl Cockatiel
S'mores-Albino Parakeet
My aunt just gave me her old fishtank with the stand. It's a pretty big fishtank, about 30 gallons, it long, but short. I have quite a bit money saved up. I'm thinking of adding another "friend" in there. Any suggestions? Try to stick to reptiles (preferably one that don't mostly eat live bugs) or small rodents? I'm thinking of adding a hedgehog or another tortoise friend for shelby but what do you guys think?

Aussie Ben

Jun 8, 2010
Media
South Australia
ooo how exciting. Do you have any interest in lizards? Bearded dragons are cool, but I don't think the tank is quite big enough (they do occasionally eat meat and bugs but mostly veg). Maybe a frog? A friend for shelby is also a good idea. So many possibilities!

OP
apatrimo94

apatrimo94

Jun 15, 2010
Media
Hudson Valley, New York
Parrots
Bartleby-Pearl Cockatiel
S'mores-Albino Parakeet
ooo how exciting. Do you have any interest in lizards? Bearded dragons are cool, but I don't think the tank is quite big enough (they do occasionally eat meat and bugs but mostly veg). Maybe a frog? A friend for shelby is also a good idea. So many possibilities!

AB, I love animals of all kind. Bearded Dragons are great! I maintain the Bearded Dragon at my school and I use him for my pet education programs. I would love to have one but the tank would be too small for a really large lizard. I have been thinking of another tortie for a while but I could sure use some pet variation at the moment, LOL. I'm just not sure what pet I want. I want a hedgehog but my mom said no :( I'm thinking about a snake but it's not that likely, but we'll see. Any other suggestions? Rodents, reptiles, critters, etc. LOL

I just measured the tank, it's 24x12x12.

Sorry to say AP that tank is only a 10 gallon, hard to tell by the pic, but is that a sulcata tortoise?

I'm not quite good at guessing numbers, Bob LOL!. Shelby is a Horsfield's Desert Tortoise.

parrotqueen

Jan 14, 2010
Media
United States
Parrots
Pineapple & Sunshine--Gray/wildtype male cockatiels
Let's see...

Chinese water dragons are really cool, but they sure eat a lot of insects. Still something to consider.

Consider a veiled chameleon. They eat mostly insects, but incorporate a lot more vegetable into their diet than the above mentioned lizard. They're calm, beautiful, and very manageable.

I'll see if I can think of some more.

OP
apatrimo94

apatrimo94

Jun 15, 2010
Media
Hudson Valley, New York
Parrots
Bartleby-Pearl Cockatiel
S'mores-Albino Parakeet
Consider a veiled chameleon. They eat mostly insects, but incorporate a lot more vegetable into their diet than the above mentioned lizard. They're calm, beautiful, and very manageable.

Oh man, now I think I want a chameleon. I care for one in school and I love him. I would like to get one of my own. I'll look into it a bit more. Thanks for that suggestion parrotqueen!

Hows about a Saltwater Croc? :59:lol

Yeah, ok, I'll put that on my list of pet supplies so I can get one next time I go to the store. LOL. I wish! But then it'd probably bite my hand off and that wouldn't be good ;)

Bobby34231

Jun 25, 2010
Media
Albums
Sarasota,Florida
Parrots
Quincy - Blue Throated Macaw, Skittles and Dusty - Rose Breasted Too's,
Joey - Yellow Crown Amazon, Ashley - CAG
Ok I stand corrected, 15 gallons, there ya go AP

GreenCheek

Aug 27, 2009
Baltimore, Maryland
Parrots
1 Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure: Cody <3
What about a hamster/gerbil/mice? Unfortunately there isn't too much that you could fit into a tank that size, but those are a few rodent ideas. Maybe some sort of amphibian?

OP
apatrimo94

apatrimo94

Jun 15, 2010
Media
Hudson Valley, New York
Parrots
Bartleby-Pearl Cockatiel
S'mores-Albino Parakeet
Thanks for all of the great tips everyone. I went to my friend's dad's exotic pet store today and looked around. I looked at each of the animals he had there. And I think I've decided I might go with a ball python or corn snake. What do you guys think? (BTW, the pet store is breeder friendly. All the animals come from good breeders)

GreenCheek

Aug 27, 2009
Baltimore, Maryland
Parrots
Well, ball pythons and corn snakes both make great pets. But you'll need a slightly larger tank eventually. At most you'll need to get a 30 gal for the ball python once it reaches full size (they don't do well in tanks any larger than that. They like to feel "snug".) So yes, especially for the first year of it's life, that tank should be just fine for a juvi ball python. :) I almost got one last year, did all my research and everything. But then, my mom talked me into a cat. lol.

OP
apatrimo94

apatrimo94

Jun 15, 2010
Media
Hudson Valley, New York
Parrots
Bartleby-Pearl Cockatiel
S'mores-Albino Parakeet
lol, I'm not much of a cat person. Yeah, I'm going to save money for a tanks but if I do get a snake, he'll be in that tanks for now.

GreenCheek

Aug 27, 2009
Baltimore, Maryland
Parrots
Then yeah, that should be fine. Ball pythons make excellent pets. They require a small tank, two identical hiding places one each side of the tank (so they don't pick a favorite hide and regulate their temperature the wrong way), and an under tank heater. Heat lamps are commonly used, but aren't really recommended as they zap the humidity. And especially if you use a tank, you're going to need help with keeping some humidity! Tanks are horrible with that. No matter what pet you decide on, just make sure you do your research and make sure it's for you! ;)

OP
apatrimo94

apatrimo94

Jun 15, 2010
Media
Hudson Valley, New York
Parrots
Bartleby-Pearl Cockatiel
S'mores-Albino Parakeet
I will be sure to do all my research, I always do, lol. Ball Pythons are not new for me though. I care for 3 at my school (feed, clean, tanks, etc.) They really are great!

Most Reactions

Latest posts