New tiel

lichphantom

May 26, 2023
Hello , 3 days ago I got 2 females cockatiel which are 3 months old , the owner said that he raised them with hands at first but then he added them to the other birds in a big room ... he didn't clip their wings so they are flying , they are not aggressive and doesn't bite at all even if I try to touch them but they are scared of me and don't let me touch them or get close to them they would keep hissing ... how will I be able to bond with them if I can't even get them outside of the cage? I don't want to grab them like the owner told me to do and force them , I didn't even transform them to their big cage

in the past I had a female cockatiel and when I got her at first she was fully hand raised and with clipped wings , I was able to hold her and put her in the finger since the day one , and she even was eating from my hand from the first day I got her and I got very bonded with her with time... but those two seems really scared and too far from letting me hold them or even get close to them .. so will I be able to get them to bond with me as much as the first one or they will be different since I couldn't hold them from the beginning like the first tiel? do I have to clip their wings eventually ?

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Welcome to the forums!

First, having a bird for 3 days is not a long time! They are still getting used to their new home and you! Understandably, they’re scared and apprehensive.

You should start by getting them used to your presence. Sit near their cage but only as close as they allow without becoming scared.
Most tiels love spray millet, try dropping some in their bowls, or, as some people like to do, designate a treat bowl that you drop a treat into whenever you’re in the room.

You do not have to clip a birds wings to tame it.
When you clip their wings they have no means of escape or fleeing s situation they aren’t comfortable with. Then interaction is forced and based upon fear and learned helplessness as the bird knows it doesn’t have any choice but to interact with you.

I recommend being patient, when they’re comfortable with your presence, see if they walk over to your hand while you hold a whole millet spray.

OP
L

lichphantom

May 26, 2023
Welcome to the forums!

First, having a bird for 3 days is not a long time! They are still getting used to their new home and you! Understandably, they’re scared and apprehensive.

You should start by getting them used to your presence. Sit near their cage but only as close as they allow without becoming scared.
Most tiels love spray millet, try dropping some in their bowls, or, as some people like to do, designate a treat bowl that you drop a treat into whenever you’re in the room.

When you clip their wings they have no means of escape or fleeing s situation they aren’t comfortable with. Then interaction is forced and based upon fear and learned helplessness as the bird knows it doesn’t have any choice but to interact with you.

I recommend being patient, when they’re comfortable with your presence, see if they walk over to your hand while you hold a whole millet spray.
Thank you for welcoming and for the advices !

I will try to get close to them and talk to them more , but why was it with first tiel it was easier and I could hold her from day one ? was it because she was fully hand raised?

I read in some places that without clipping it won't be safe for birds at home since they might fly randomly and get hit in dangerous places , this is not always the case ? if they are tamed then they won't do that ? and I will be able to bond with them as much as I did with the first tiel ?

I tried to look for these millet spray in pet stores and other places but didn't find , is there alternatives that I can use as a treat?

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
I will try to get close to them and talk to them more , but why was it with first tiel it was easier and I could hold her from day one ? was it because she was fully hand raised?
It’s likely she was more tame because she was socialized while young.
read in some places that without clipping it won't be safe for birds at home since they might fly randomly and get hit in dangerous places , this is not always the case ? if they are tamed then they won't do that ? and I will be able to bond with them as much as I did with the first tiel ?
It’s possible they could hurt themselves if they fly around in a panic. I recommend trying to work on taming in the cage rather than outside of it. Once they’re tame, you should bring them up to the windows and walls and show them that they’re solid.
tried to look for these millet spray in pet stores and other places but didn't find , is there alternatives that I can use as a treat?
You could try a bowl of seeds. Tiels aren’t usually nuts fans, at least, my three aren’t. If they like fruit or nuts you can try that, though, most aren’t always fans.

OP
L

lichphantom

May 26, 2023
It’s likely she was more tame because she was socialized while young.
and by being patient with those two new ones ane talk to them often , will I get to the point where I can get them to eat from my hands and be able to hold them and eventually return to me even if they fly ? someone told me in pet store that there is no way you can tame tiel if I didn't feel him from hand at very early age
It’s possible they could hurt themselves if they fly around in a panic. I recommend trying to work on taming in the cage rather than outside of it. Once they’re tame, you should bring them up to the windows and walls and show them that they’re solid.
so for now I should only let them in cage and try to make them feel comfortable with me while they are in cage until they can at least step into my hands? the owner that I got the tiels from told me that I should let them outside from now even if they are still afraid and I try to grab them to return them to the cage later , but I didn't like his method as it will be forcefully trying to grab them later and they will be scared
You could try a bowl of seeds. Tiels aren’t usually nuts fans, at least, my three aren’t. If they like fruit or nuts you can try that, though, most aren’t always fans.
I will try that and see what happens , the problem is there is no pellets here in my country too so the diet should be with fruits I guess ...are millet spray usually sold in pet stores or I can find them in places where there is vegetable and all ? I just didn't find those but I will try to look more

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I
Welcome to the forums!

I have a lot of respect for other peoples opinions on PF but whether to clip a bird's wings is not a black or white, right or wrong, or can't fly to escape or completely free flying issue. There are degrees of wing trimming that range from a severe clip that cruelly grounds the bird to a slight shortening of the primary flight feathers that prevents the bird from getting enough lift to fly to a high unreachable perch or getting enough speed to slam into walls and windows. I prefer to keep all my budgies slightly trimmed for their safety and mine, too. They can easily fly across a 15 foot room and from the floor to their cage. I've kept birds (budgies and cockatiels) for well over 40 years and believe its easier to work with a new bird with a slight wing trim. It has never made a new bird more frightened of me. Once the bird knows its way around the room, is no longer frightened of me, is finger tame, and can be trusted to go back to its cage without me having to climb tall ladders I usually let the feathers grow back. With two new, frightened birds, they have less reason to get comfortable with you and it will take longer to tame them. I this case I think a slight trim is even more necessary than with a solo bird.

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
and by being patient with those two new ones ane talk to them often , will I get to the point where I can get them to eat from my hands and be able to hold them and eventually return to me even if they fly ? someone told me in pet store that there is no way you can tame tiel if I didn't feel him from hand at very early age
I feel that any bird can be tamed to varying degrees even if they weren’t hand raised. None of my birds except one have been hand raised yet all but 2 are tame.
Though, I’d say tameness in one persons mind is very different from someone else’s!
so for now I should only let them in cage and try to make them feel comfortable with me while they are in cage until they can at least step into my hands? the owner that I got the tiels from told me that I should let them outside from now even if they are still afraid and I try to grab them to return them to the cage later , but I didn't like his method as it will be forcefully trying to grab them later and they will be scared
I would recommend taking in the cage. It’s safer for the birds. Letting them out and catching them to return them back to the cage will greatly set back any progress you could’ve been making.
I will try that and see what happens , the problem is there is no pellets here in my country too so the diet should be with fruits I guess ...are millet spray usually sold in pet stores or I can find them in places where there is vegetable and all ? I just didn't find those but I will try to look more
If you can feed them lots of vegetables that’s great too. Fruit should a a treat, maybe 2-4 times a week.
Millet is usually sold in pet stores. You could also try oat sprays or you could order some millet? I know not everyone has access to certain products/foods.
have a lot of respect for other peoples opinions on PF but whether to clip a bird's wings is not a black or white, right or wrong, or can't fly to escape or completely free flying issue. There are degrees of wing trimming that range from a severe clip that cruelly grounds the bird to a slight shortening of the primary flight feathers that prevents the bird from getting enough lift to fly to a high unreachable perch or getting enough speed to slam into walls and windows. I prefer to keep all my budgies slightly trimmed for their safety and mine, too. They can easily fly across a 15 foot room and from the floor to their cage. I've kept birds (budgies and cockatiels) for well over 40 years and believe its easier to work with a new bird with a slight wing trim. It has never made a new bird more frightened of me. Once the bird knows its way around the room, is no longer frightened of me, is finger tame, and can be trusted to go back to its cage without me having to climb tall ladders I usually let the feathers grow back. With two new, frightened birds, they have less reason to get comfortable with you and it will take longer to tame them. I this case I think a slight trim is even more necessary than with a solo bird.
While I understand your concern, i think clipping a new bird just speeds up the process that would’ve happened anyways.
Many of our members have tamed unclipped birds with the same success as a clipped bird. It takes an extra degree of caution, perhaps, but I think that’s for the better.

Wings clipping is a hot topic. In my mind, clipping for ease of taming is not necessary. It did not aid in the taming of any of my birds.
If the OP decides to clip, then I won’t hold that against them as it is common practice.
I would also not recommend clipping such young birds. This is such an important time in their lives where they build confidence.
I can see in my own birds that were clipped as babies how diminished their confidence was, especially while young.

I think clipping can be avoided if the birds are tamed in the cage, especially since they were worked with at least for a time, while young.

OP
L

lichphantom

May 26, 2023
I feel that any bird can be tamed to varying degrees even if they weren’t hand raised. None of my birds except one have been hand raised yet all but 2 are tame.
Though, I’d say tameness in one persons mind is very different from someone else’s!
The tameness I'm looking for is following the same path that I did with my first tiel , being around us all the time in shoulder and hanging in our hands and pet her and even sleeping on us ... it's just me and family missed that feeling and we want to have this kind of tamness again, that's why I was confused about the clipping
I would recommend taking in the cage. It’s safer for the birds. Letting them out and catching them to return them back to the cage will greatly set back any progress you could’ve been making.
I will do that then , but any idea on how to transfer them into their big cage ? they are still in the small cage that I brought them in , I tried to put the door of the small against the door of the big cage , but they didn't go out from it they just sitting still , the only way to transform them is to hold them by hand , and this is not possible yet since they are afraid and I didn't want to grab them forecfully
If you can feed them lots of vegetables that’s great too. Fruit should a a treat, maybe 2-4 times a week.
Millet is usually sold in pet stores. You could also try oat sprays or you could order some millet? I know not everyone has access to certain products/foods.
yeah the products/foods of birds are kinda very limited here , I will try to look more for millet in other pet stores , I will try to give vegetable so that they can be used to it , the owner adviced me to especially give lettuce , is this a good option to give ?

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
The tameness I'm looking for is following the same path that I did with my first tiel , being around us all the time in shoulder and hanging in our hands and pet her and even sleeping on us ... it's just me and family missed that feeling and we want to have this kind of tamness again, that's why I was confused about the clipping
I understand, but sometimes not all bird will reach the same level of tameness as quickly as another bird may have.
I think with time and patience you can get these babies to at least a similar point that your previous tiel was at.
will do that then , but any idea on how to transfer them into their big cage ? they are still in the small cage that I brought them in , I tried to put the door of the small against the door of the big cage , but they didn't go out from it they just sitting still , the only way to transform them is to hold them by hand , and this is not possible yet since they are afraid and I didn't want to grab them forecfully
Could you set the cage they’re in on a table or something that’s the same level as the big cage door?
Make sure they can’t squeeze through the gap between the cages.
You could put bowls of food in the big cage and a perch that allows easy entry into the big cage.
yeah the products/foods of birds are kinda very limited here , I will try to look more for millet in other pet stores , I will try to give vegetable so that they can be used to it , the owner adviced me to especially give lettuce , is this a good option to give ?
Romain lettuce is good to give. Pretty much any other greens are very good for birds. I would avoid feeding spinach as excess consumption can cause parrots to have problems absorbing calcium.

OP
L

lichphantom

May 26, 2023
I understand, but sometimes not all bird will reach the same level of tameness as quickly as another bird may have.
I think with time and patience you can get these babies to at least a similar point that your previous tiel was at.
Thank you for the advices , I will try my best to be patient and spend the time with them and try to gain their trust and see how things goes in the future
Could you set the cage they’re in on a table or something that’s the same level as the big cage door?
Make sure they can’t squeeze through the gap between the cages.
You could put bowls of food in the big cage and a perch that allows easy entry into the big cage.
I tried to do something similar to this but it didn't work since they didn't even notice the small cage door ( it's small door and I have to hold it with my hand to let it open) I will try again by setting the perch next to the big cage and see if they can notice it ... as I understand I should let them out of the cage for the first time only once I tame them in the cage and they feel comfortable around me so they won't panic when they fly and let me pick them with finger , right?
Romain lettuce is good to give. Pretty much any other greens are very good for birds. I would avoid feeding spinach as excess consumption can cause parrots to have problems absorbing calcium.
I will try to give them Romain lettuce for now and see how they would like it , do I have to wash it and let it dry first and then cut it to pieces before giving it to them ?

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
I tried to do something similar to this but it didn't work since they didn't even notice the small cage door ( it's small door and I have to hold it with my hand to let it open) I will try again by setting the perch next to the big cage and see if they can notice it ... as I understand I should let them out of the cage for the first time only once I tame them in the cage and they feel comfortable around me so they won't panic when they fly and let me pick them with finger , right?
Yep! This is correct. I hope you’re able to get them in their big cage. Is the little cage possibly able to fit in the big cage and sit on the big cages floor?
I will try to give them Romain lettuce for now and see how they would like it , do I have to wash it and let it dry first and then cut it to pieces before giving it to them ?
Definitely wash it. Some bird like eating from big leaves, while some prefer little chunks.
Some tiels enjoy bathing on wet greens too.

OP
L

lichphantom

May 26, 2023
Yep! This is correct. I hope you’re able to get them in their big cage. Is the little cage possibly able to fit in the big cage and sit on the big cages floor?
no the little cage won't be able to fit in the door of the big cage , so my only choice is to put the doors against each other , I tried again but they are still not going through the small cage's door into the big cage , I didn't want to grab them so they won't be scared of me but I will try everyday to try the same thing until they go out to the big cage
Definitely wash it. Some bird like eating from big leaves, while some prefer little chunks.
Some tiels enjoy bathing on wet greens too.
I will wash them then and try to give them wet and dry and see what they would prefer , can I try to give them big leaves with me holding it in my hand or it's early for this and I should just put it in the cage ?

also I noticed that one of tiels sometimes close one eye , not always but it seems like from time to time she closes one eye ,I called the guy I got them from and he told me that it's something normal and not to concern about and might be just stressed , is it true or it can be concerning that she close one eye sometimes?

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
will wash them then and try to give them wet and dry and see what they would prefer , can I try to give them big leaves with me holding it in my hand or it's early for this and I should just put it in the cage ?
If they start eating it from your hand that great, if they seem scared I would just secure it between the bars.
also I noticed that one of tiels sometimes close one eye , not always but it seems like from time to time she closes one eye ,I called the guy I got them from and he told me that it's something normal and not to concern about and might be just stressed , is it true or it can be concerning that she close one eye sometimes?
Can you see the other eye while she’s doing this? She could just be sleepy when she’s doing this.
Parrots will also close one eyes and frequently open the other, especially when they want to sleep but aren’t quite comfortable in their environment.

OP
L

lichphantom

May 26, 2023
If they start eating it from your hand that great, if they seem scared I would just secure it between the bars.
they are still afraid whenever I get my hand close to the cage , I will just secure it between the bars for now until they feel more comfortable
Can you see the other eye while she’s doing this? She could just be sleepy when she’s doing this.
Parrots will also close one eyes and frequently open the other, especially when they want to sleep but aren’t quite comfortable in their environment.
her other eye looks normal and open when she is doing this usually , she closes one eye often when she seems relaxed or sleepy but sometimes she close it when she is eating for example , which made me more concerned about this

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
no the little cage won't be able to fit in the door of the big cage , so my only choice is to put the doors against each other , I tried again but they are still not going through the small cage's door into the big cage , I didn't want to grab them so they won't be scared of me but I will try everyday to try the same thing until they go out to the big cage

I will wash them then and try to give them wet and dry and see what they would prefer , can I try to give them big leaves with me holding it in my hand or it's early for this and I should just put it in the cage ?

Try taking the bottom off the big cage and putting it OVER the small cage and them open the door of the small cage.

OP
L

lichphantom

May 26, 2023
Try taking the bottom off the big cage and putting it OVER the small cage and them open the door of the small cage.
I tried to do that but nothing , they just won't get out of the small cage , i would like to move them to their big cage soon to be more comfortable there but they seems like they are not paying attention to the door and they are still afraid of me

OP
L

lichphantom

May 26, 2023
update :

it's been a month now since I got those two tiels , all that time I have been spending time talking to them and making their cage close to me ( since I couldn't transfer them to their big cage yet ) so we just put the cage whenever I go and they are always with family , they seems to get used to my voice since they keep staring at me whenever I go to the room and sometimes they react to my whistle

but there wasn't much progress made in terms of trying to touch them or get them used to my hand , the only thing that I was able to do is to give them Romain lettuce as treat ( there is no millet spray in my country to use as treat ) they seems to love it as whenever they see it in my hand they stop doing everything and get close the bars and keep staring at it from afar , if i hold the edge of the lettuce with my hand and put it between the bars they would eat from it even if I'm holding it with my hand, at first they were scared but then they started to eat ( and also when my mother and sister give them ) but when I try to open the cage and put it in palm of my hand , they are just still very scared even if I put it in palm of my hand for long time they won't come to it ... they get scared and run away when I try to change their food/water too ... I know I have to be more patient , but should I try to do something that would make me do more progress ? like insisting that they would only get it only if my hand is inside ?

a guy from the pet store told me that I have to make them get used to my hand before it's too late , he suggested that I removed all their food and put the food in my hand so that they would have no choice but to eat from my hand when they get hungry , but that sounded like it's forcing them to do something , so what should I do now ?

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Hey it sounds like you’re making good progress with them!

I wouldn’t recommend taking away their food and water for taming purposes as this then forces them to interact with you, only because they’re hungry.

I will say, it’s never too late. Great progress can be made with any parrot with enough patience.

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
Yeah don't take away thier food, they will come around. Continue treats through the bars, if they weren't hand raised it might take a bit.....more than a month at least.

OP
L

lichphantom

May 26, 2023
Hey it sounds like you’re making good progress with them!

I wouldn’t recommend taking away their food and water for taming purposes as this then forces them to interact with you, only because they’re hungry.

I will say, it’s never too late. Great progress can be made with any parrot with enough patience.
Thank you! I also didn't like the method of taking away their food , the guy in the pet store just scared me with telling me if i don't do that and forecfully make them use to my hands , they never will ... I will just wait more for now , but is there something else that i should do now or i just have to continue with this same rythm ?

Most Reactions

Latest posts