New to amazon's

Drainman01

Aug 4, 2021
Hi all
About 4 month ago we purchased a green fronted amazon ( 16 / 18 month old ) from a seller in dewsbury, ( 700 ) the advert goes,
He was a young boy who will take fruit, veg and his favourite monkey nuts from your hand ( which he does gently ) he sings / dances he is a young boy who learns very quickly. Very playful little character.Only reason for selling doesnt get on with conure. But he was kept in a bedroom with very little light and no sounds as such.So we take him home leave him a few days to find his bearings etc, we talk to him regular trying gain his trust. his cage has numerous toys, rope toys, wooden, chain's also plastic toys.
He also has a large homemade perch / stand made of large branches with toys on.
At first he seemed ok, but he wasnt all that comfortable at being handled. So we just persevered, 4mth later still no joy, we use a wooden dowel, all he wants to do is attack or chew it, have tried a cloth over hand to save bites, but just flys away. Bought anti - bite gloves, but he just attacks them viciously
Used bare hands carefully, but he just goes to attack / bite. If we get too close he lunges to bite you. We learnt afterwards the previous owner used to throw a large coat over him as it was the only way to get him back in his cage.. now we get early morning screaming / squawking which can last 15 / 20 mins or more to be let out. Once out he just wants to chew everything and i mean everything, picture frames, hifi, skirting board, wires, we had to remove our room light fitting as he chewed through wire and tripped the fusebox. He also flys around during the day squawking very loudly. So we just leave him to go back in his cage of his own accord. Not sure if he needs a mate or just that he is an aviary bird. Or the previous owner didn't give us the full story.. any help advice very welcome..
Thanks.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Welcome to Parrot Forum and the Wonderful World of Amazons!

Yes, the prior owner did not tell you the full story!

I would recommend that you visit the Amazon sub-forum here on Parrot Forum and start reading as the subject and questions you have are so common.

Everything you have done to date has only gone to kill any trust your Amazon may have. So, you are faced with the common reality of Starting Over! And, that is a wonderful part of Amazons, as they will allow you to start over.

- Only Good Things Happen when Humans are a round!
- Work at the speed your Amazon will accept interaction!
- Spend time sitting next to your Amazon and in a comforting voice Read to him! Starting with the Threads from the Amazon Sub-forum is a wonderful place as you learn, while your Amazon begins to develop a trust.

Last edited:

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
One of my Amazon's (Luna) will only step up onto my iPad (or almost any tablet).
I have had her since 2017 and she is still afraid of hands.
The only time I can pick her up by hand is when she crashes somewhere she cant fly away from.
She was a rescue also and I have no way of knowing what her history is.

Not all birds enjoy or want to be handled by humans.
Sometimes you just have to take what they are willing to give you.
persistence will pay off eventually.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Welcome and be welcomed.

So, I'm going to say some things, and please dont be offended. THis board is all about the welfare of the parrot and not the owners.

1 Are you sure you want a parrot? These are highly intelligent, but wild animals, totally unlike cats or dogs or other 'pets'. More like a 2-4 yr old human that never grows up, with a can opener on its face. They take COMMITMENT like no other. Be sure.

2 He has zero reason to trust humans at this point. His last home sounds pretty bad, and this one, so far , is not shaping up to be much better. YOU must change that. Parrots are all about trust. THink of it like a bank. You can deposit trust or withdraw from the trust account. Everything you do does one or the other. Always keep that in mind. Using a towel or gloves or a coat (???) to get him into his cage - BIG trust buster.

3 So now some practical things - Get him to a certified avian vet for a full medical check up. WHy? Because this will become his base line for the vet if anything happens in the future. Very important. While there, have them clip his wings. See why in a bit.

4 Now, a reading assignment or two. Go to our Amazon subformum and read the 2 threads at the top, "Amazon Body Language" and "I Love Amazons". In fact read them a few times, both are EXTREMEMLY great information, and are one of the best resources you will find on the internet, period.

5 While you are reading these, sit close to your parrots cage, and read them aloud to him, in a soothing and natural voice. Not close enough to where he gets upset, but close and closer is better. Like I said a few times, so the info sinks into both of your heads.

6 Now comes the fun part. Amazons are very capable of resetting the clock to zero, with the trust bank. Bt really start like he just came into your home. Dont be rushing to get him out of his cage before you have made some deposits in the bank! Know his favorite treat? THat becomes your ambassador treat with him. Work with him thru the cage bars at first, offering this desirable treat at first. Gradually thru the open door, and only then start to train for stepping up WITHOUT gloves or towels! Best is if he can be trained to step up to your hand. Look up "Target Training" on here in the search feature above. THis can be done while he is still in the 'cage' stage of the process.

7 So, why clip his wings. This is temporary, you let them grow out when it is safe for him (and you) to have him fly free in your house. Flying parrots require EXTRA care by all in the house. THey can injure themselves flying into windows and mirrors and walls and hot stoves among some things. They can fly away thru carelessly opened doors and windows. And as you have seen, can chew thru wires and other dangerous stuff. Clipping his wings will allow you a measure of control on where he goes. Normally you want to wait until the parrot has learned to fly before even thinking abut this, bt yours does already, so the phycological reasons for not clipping are not paramount at this point.

8 Training - This can be a big part of your re-introduction process. Target training, trick training, potty training all can GREAT ways to strengthen your bond to your Amazon. But to be successful, training has to be done right, or, you guessed it - withdrawing from the Trust bank. Some tips on training: Be consistent - always ask for the action the same way, with the same verbal and hand signal ques, or you will confuse the bird. Be Immediate - reward (the treat) should be given as soon as there is positive action from the parrot. Iif he moves a little bit to the target- reward. If he picks his foot up for a step up- reward. Build on those. Have the treat ready. Be Realistic - he is not going to learn to step up or shake hands or other things in 1 or 2 lessons ( but he might srprise you). Most training is a gradual process.

And now the HARSH. Ready? If you cant make the commitment to caring for this parrot, please consider rehoming him to a house where this commitment is being made. Sounds like you are committed, simply because you are seeking help here, and I hope that's true. There in nothing so sad in this world as a smart young parrot being doomed to a life of cages, towels, biting, and minimal social interaction ( which they all crave, being flock animals). Good luck and I hope you take the above in the best possible light.

OP
D

Drainman01

Aug 4, 2021
Hi ya
Thanks for all reply's
And thanks wrench13 for the grilling, will take it on board ( well some of it )

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome aboard, superb advice above! Unfortunately your amazon was abused by prior owner, perhaps in ways you'll never know. Maltreatment can leave lasting but not insurmountable scars, akin to PTSD.

Following the theme of relationship "reset," consider enhancing trust and formation of a bond with baby steps: http://www.parrotforums.com/general-parrot-information/49144-tips-bonding-building-trust.html

A bit more advanced, requiring a modicum of trust: http://www.parrotforums.com/training/63988-bite-pressure-training.html
http://www.parrotforums.com/training/60435-clicker-target-training.html

Forming durable bond with parrots often a two steps forward, one step backward experience. Savor the small victories, use them as incentive to persevere. Please keep us updated with progress!!

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Hi ya
Thanks for all reply's
And thanks wrench13 for the grilling, will take it on board ( well some of it )

LOL, advice is always "use as necessary". hope you stick around, this is a really great source for info, help and occasionally, laughs.

Most Reactions