New to birds, they've had eggs, I need help!

Velocirmel

Oct 7, 2017
Parrots
Two peach faces, Daphne and Niles.

I work at a pet store and took them home after no one wanted them after being there for six months. I was fortunate enough to have them turn out to be a boy and gi
Hey guys! Joined the forum to hopefully get some tips. I have two love birds, Daphne & Niles. Didn't know their genders but got lucky I guess haha. Never owned birds before now let alone bred them!

Around the first of September, Daphne laid eggs. We got four in total! On the 21st of September, baby number one hatched and its growing and doing really well. A couple of days ago, egg number two hatched. I saw the baby that night then never saw it again (eaten?). I still have two eggs left. I thought they were fertilized (checked with torch) but how long would it be for them to hatch now?
Is there something I should be doing to prevent any new hatchlings disappearing?

I've also tried to do some reading on hand raising. If I only end up with one baby, can I remove it and put it back without Daphne rejecting it? I don't want to feed it, just tame it.

Any advice would be super helpful. I feel a little lost :confused:

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
Hello, it was a little fool hardy letting these Lovies breed when you are so ill prepared. I hope Silversage will see your post later for some expert advice.

What is the status of the first hatchling? Is it thriving, being kept warm and fed by it parents? If the answer is no then you are obligated to intervene and will needs equipment to do this.

Did you peeking at the newly hatched chick cause it to be eaten? Not all birds take kindly to being disturbed and will do this as a consequence. I think these links cover your questions. Probably best if you dont allow them to breed a second time.

FYI
https://www.beautyofbirds.com/lovebirdbreeding.html
https://www.beautyofbirds.com/breedingchallenges.html

Last edited:
OP
V

Velocirmel

Oct 7, 2017
Parrots

I work at a pet store and took them home after no one wanted them after being there for six months. I was fortunate enough to have them turn out to be a boy and gi
The first hatchling is thriving very much. Both Daphne and Niles are pretty tame and never mind my presence. I only check their box every few days to make sure things are still going okay and so I know the status of their eggs.

I did research breeding, I didn't mean to make it seem like I was some idiot who just let it happen by accident. I tried talking to my vet but he's not very bird savvy, I've read so many websites and watched so many tutorials. I've just been a bit nervous since the incident with the second egg because I've found it extremely difficult to get answers on. I just thought the easiest way would be to flat out ask people who knew what was happening.

I did also read that it could have been eaten due to a nutrient dufficiency in the parents but my birds have seed, pellet, egg and biscuit formula, plus fresh veggies and fruit every day.

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Welcome to the forums! Thank you for adopting Daphne and Niles from the pet store. I'm glad you joined us and I hope you find the answers you need. We love baby birds, we really do but please understand we have read many heartbreaking stories written by new bird owners that have for reasons of their own decided to try their hand at breeding. It isn't you we are doubting and we aren't trying to be judgemental, we just know what a challenge breeding baby parrots can be and we are aware of the hazards and heartbreak when things go wrong.

The following was written by SilverSage, one of our members with first hand experience to share. It contains sound advice and reliable information. Hopefully you will find something useful in the article.

http://www.parrotforums.com/breeding-raising-parrots/54987-before-i-start-breed.html

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
First my standard disclaimer: I am not an expert !

I have raised 2 clutches of Cockatiels.

If the parents are taking care of the babies, Let them take care of it but check on them regularly.

If you don't have a scale get one. keeping track of their weight is an important way to check on the health and progress of the babies.

Feed the parents soft food that is easy for them to regurgitate. Scrambled eggs is a good example.

Have a Plan B. If the parents stop taking care of them you have to be prepared to take them to someone who knows how to hand feed. Doing it yourself is possible but it can take a lot of expensive equipment and a round the clock feeding schedule. Things can end tragically in any number of ways if you are unsure of what to do and are inexperienced.

I had to step in and take care of my second clutch because the parents started plucking the babies around the head and neck.

Don't think you can learn how to.... just by watching youtube videos.

I am in no way trying to be critical, judgmental or belittling any skills you may have in taking care of baby birds. Just telling you what I have learned personally through my own experience.

Good luck with your babies. It can be a very rewarding and amazing experience (if everything goes well)

texsize

OP
V

Velocirmel

Oct 7, 2017
Parrots

Thanks for the replies everyone. I just want to clear a few things up. I didn't intend on breeding, I gave them a box to keep warm in because the winter here still wasn't over. I didn't think it would be seasonal for breeding yet. I also didn't know I had a boy and a girl. Once the eggs starting appearing I did as much research as I could. The first baby is in fantastic health, and after reading some of the links you guys have provided I'm beginning to think it may have been bigger and more competitive and that's why the second baby didn't survive. Although, it was only out of its egg over night before I lost it. I intend on keeping any babies that survive (in another cage) and have no intention of breeding again.

The fact that my birds had eggs was not intentional but I want to do right by them. I am a great pet owner. I just needed help with a few specifics that I couldn't find info on so please stop judging me.

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
We aren't judging you,or anyone for that matter. We all just love our birds.
And it is awesome you are doing everything in your power to make sure the little one makes it to adulthood.
I never bred anything so I am of no help to you.
Is it possible you could get a photo of your "family"? I'm sure there are folks here who would love to see them...me included!
I pray all goes well. Please keep us updated!!

Jim

Most Reactions